Nick Markakis or JJ Hardy?

webbrick2010

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL, funny how threads will take their own course

maybe we can discuss whether Nick Markakis or JJ Hardy is more clutch.

Original topic was Markakis or Hardy, which should the Orioles have kept and which should they had let go.

Overwhelming response is most of us, felt it was a no brainer and that Hardy one of the best fielding SS in the game needed to be kept.

11 years worth of playoffs and 326 plate appears is not really a small sample size.

When it comes to clutch hitting, it is. But the main point here is, you did a bait and switch. Your initial remark was "A-Rod hits most of his HR when losing or winning and almost never when the game is needing him to produce," and that's no more true of him than of most players. You weren't talking about how he did in the playoffs.

When it comes to clutch hitting, it is. But the main point here is, you did a bait and switch. Your initial remark was that most of ARod's homers came in lead-padding situations, and that's no more true of him than of most players. You weren't talking about how he did in the playoffs.

Most good hitters feast when the lead is lopsided (one way or the other) and the less impressive pitchers are on the mound.

When it comes to clutch hitting, it is. But the main point here is, you did a bait and switch. Your initial remark was "A-Rod hits most of his HR when losing or winning and almost never when the game is needing him to produce," and that's no more true of him than of most players. You weren't talking about how he did in the playoffs.

Usually, in the playoffs, is when you expect one of your stud bats to carry through for you.

Especially, when they are paid the enormous amount of $$$ as he is.

Usually, in the playoffs, is when you expect one of your stud bats to carry through for you.

Especially, when they are paid the enormous amount of $$$ as he is.

ARod as had a number of poor playoff performances. I think we all know that. But your initial statement said nothing about the playoffs, and came in the context of my referring to Nick's early-April RBI hits as "timely." I think any rational person would have interpreted your comment to refer to how ARod performed in critical times in a game, not how he performed in the playoffs.

ARod as had a number of poor playoff performances. I think we all know that. But your initial statement said nothing about the playoffs, and came in the context of my referring to Nick's early-April RBI hits as "timely." I think any rational person would have interpreted your comment to refer to how ARod performed in critical times in a game, not how he performed in the playoffs.

I think the statement was about when the game did not matter.

I think the statement was about when the game did not matter.

This is what he said:

Were [Nick's hits] really timely, and produced game winning runs? or was they just metrics in a game otherwise won?

A-Rod hits most of his HR when losing or winning and almost never when the game is needing him to produce.

I think that's pretty clearly a statement about how ARod performed at critical points in the game, not how he did in critical games or playoff games.

This is what he said:

I think that's pretty clearly a statement about how ARod performed at critical points in the game, not how he did in critical games or playoff games.

I agree. I was confirming my impression that you were correct.

Archived