Nick Markakis or JJ Hardy?

webbrick2010

This is what he said:

I think that's pretty clearly a statement about how ARod performed at critical points in the game, not how he did in critical games or playoff games.

But even in playoff games he has an .833 OPS, which is nothing to sneeze at when facing better-than-average pitching. Sure, he's played poorly over his last ~50 postseason PAs, but (for example) in 2009 his postseason OPS in three series was well over 1.000.

This is nothing more than dislike of a player's perceived character, and applying that to his on-field performance.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to clutch hitting, it is. But the main point here is, you did a bait and switch. Your initial remark was "A-Rod hits most of his HR when losing or winning and almost never when the game is needing him to produce," and that's no more true of him than of most players. You weren't talking about how he did in the playoffs.

Uh, glad to see ARod fail in a high leverage situation tonight.

Hardy -- and Nick was my favorite player on the team. I'm glad he is healthy and playing decently for Atlanta so far (but, by the way, he has a .564 OPS to this point, not exactly what you'd want to see over 162 games).

By the way, Hardy is 32, not 33.

Some folks lamented andino and Saunders post oriole production...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody come over to the Markakis side yet? Benefit of hindsight is looking like we extended the wrong guy.

Hardy has now missed 10% of the season with no return in sight. Last I heard he has regressed to hitting off a tee

Markakis is still hitting .370 with a .470 OBP

More surprising the consensus (me included) was that it would be relatively easy to replace Markakis, but Snider has more errors in week than Markakis has had in the last 3 years, and De Aza isn't hitting or fielding or running the bases well.

Meanwhile Cabrerra has done okay at SS until he ran into Toronto's goofy turf.

I never thought that the O's would miss Nick so badly.

Perhaps starting Lough against all RH'ers will shore up the defense. I hope so.

Benefit of hindsight is looking like we extended the wrong guy.

Hindsight? We're 2% of the way into the Markakis contract. If this was a marathon we'd be at the half-mile mark, with only 25.7 miles to go. This is like calling a reasonably close election 45 minutes after the polls open. This is declaring WWII lost as the first Zeros are dropping bombs on Pearl Harbor.

Markakis is still hitting .370 with a .470 OBP

More surprising the consensus (me included) was that it would be relatively easy to replace Markakis, but Snider has more errors in week than Markakis has had in the last 3 years, and De Aza isn't hitting or fielding or running the bases well.

As of last night, Snider's WAR is higher than Nick's.

As of last night' date=' Snider's WAR is higher than Nick's.[/quote']

Hey, just because the slap-hitting Nick had a BABIP around .300 each of the last three years doesn't mean that his early-2015 .425 isn't is his new talent level. Consistent, average 31-year-olds have shockingly dramatic increases in ability for no apparent reason all the time.

Hey, just because the slap-hitting Nick had a BABIP around .300 each of the last three years doesn't mean that his early-2015 .425 isn't is his new talent level. Consistent, average 31-year-olds have shockingly dramatic increases in ability for no apparent reason all the time.

Stronger after the neck surgery. Now, everyone is going to get it done, whether they need it or not.

Guest rochester

I don't think Nick v. Snider is the team's issue right now. It'a all about pitching, pitching, pitching...

Archived