Ian Desmond: 6 Errors in 8 Games

OFFNY

o

What an absolute nightmare of a start to the season for this guy.

His 6th error of the season was yet again crucial in his team losing to the Red Sox tonight.

With the Nationals leading by a score of 7-5, Desmond opened the bottom of the 7th inning by committing a throwing error, allowing the lead-off batter to reach safely. The Red Sox eventually scored 3 runs in the inning to take the lead 8-7, which was the score when the game ended. Desmond's teammate (pitcher Blake Treinen) also made 2 additional errors later in that same, fateful inning.

Ramirez safe at first on error by shortstop Desmond.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=350414102

Desmond must feel like digging a hole, and climbing into it.

Could have sworn I saw a article in the Post over the summer claiming Desmond was MLB's next $200 million player.

That's 1.5 mill per error along with a healthy lifetime .315 OBP clip.

Like to see the nats do poorly except when they're playing a AL east team; they definitely look awful right now.

I think Desmond has more errors than the entire Orioles team. Hard to feel bad for the Nats though. I think they'll underachieve again. Great starting rotation but their D and offense really leave a lot to be desired. Not sold on Williams either as a manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just channeling his inner Herman Long. Long, who was a very good defender and had a long, productive career, made 125 errors in 136 games as a rookie for the 1889 Kansas City Cowboys of the American Association (then a major league). It would be fun to see what Ian Desmond might do if you swapped out his modern glove for something that resembles a glove you'd go skiing with, and had him play on fields manicured to the standards of a county tee ball field today.

Could have sworn I saw a article in the Post over the summer claiming Desmond was MLB's next $200 million player.

That's 1.5 mill per error along with a healthy lifetime .315 OBP clip.

Like to see the nats do poorly except when they're playing a AL east team; they definitely look awful right now.

That might be a bit aggressive, but I could see the Yankees offering him something like 6 years/$100M next offseason once the Yankees fans get the "he's not Jeter" hatred out of their system on Didi Gregorious.

Another error for Desmond today.

And YET ANOTHER ERROR for Desmond today. :eek:

And of course, Desmond's error led to 2 Phillies run, and the Phillies won the game by ...... 2 runs.

Oh, yeah. Desmond also made the last out of the game today. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

o

Manny Machado leads the major leagues errors committed as a 3rd baseman, with 8 ...... and he arguably deserves one or two more.

Ian Desmond, on the other hand, has committed only 1 error in his last 22 games, after having committed 8 errors in his first 12 games this season.

o

Manny Machado leads the major leagues errors committed as a 3rd baseman, with 8 ...... and he arguably deserves one or two more.

Ian Desmond, on the other hand, has committed only 1 error in his last 22 games, after having committed 8 errors in his first 12 games this season.

So I guess there is hope that Manny will pull out of his slump. The thing about Manny is, even with his miscues BB-ref still has him at +0.5 dWAR, so clearly he's already made a bunch of plays the average 3B doesn't make.

So I guess there is hope that Manny will pull out of his slump. The thing about Manny is, even with his miscues BB-ref still has him at +0.5 dWAR, so clearly he's already made a bunch of plays the average 3B doesn't make.

They have him at +3 runs, which is 0.4 dWAR, or a little better than average. dWAR is (defensive runs/10) + pro-rated positional adjustment. Since third base a bit harder to play than an average position being a zero-level third baseman will still give you a positive dWAR. A slightly below-average shortstop will still have a positive dWAR, while a good first baseman might be in the negative.

They have him at +3 runs, which is 0.4 dWAR, or a little better than average. dWAR is (defensive runs/10) + pro-rated positional adjustment. Since third base a bit harder to play than an average position being a zero-level third baseman will still give you a positive dWAR. A slightly below-average shortstop will still have a positive dWAR, while a good first baseman might be in the negative.

Since it's a counting stat it's closer to significantly above average. Machado rates at plus 13 runs saved per season/135 by DRS so far this year. Better than last year and essentially still at elite status (whether you agree with the numbers or not). UZR has him below average (based totally on error counts) with well above average range.

I really don't know why people continue use dWAR. It's almost meaningless in most message board contexts.

I really don't know why people continue use dWAR. It's almost meaningless in most message board contexts.

It is/was an attempt to get people to use positional adjustment + performance in one bucket. It's good in the sense that it puts a first baseman on the same scale as a shortstop. But there's much confusion and misuse.

• 3 months later...

Archived