Ubaldo Jimenez Looking To Rebound In Second Season With Orioles

PressBoxOnline

A season after posting a 6-9 mark with a 4.81 ERA during 25 games (22 starts), Ubaldo Jimenez is eager to build on his strong first outing of 2015. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/04/15/ubaldo-jimenez-looking-to-rebound-in-second-season-with-orioles
I know I've been saying this like a broken record . But Ubaldo has been working his tail off since last season. The absolute best thing that Buck did last August was demote him to the bull pen; this made him know how bad things were getting. But Buck didn't just dump him in the pen and forget about him. Instead, he was able to get the help he needed to fix his mechanics. His reclamation started there and continued through August and September. Speaking of booing, during the clincher game (which I attended), when he started badly, the boos weren't just "scattered", they were steady and loud. But right in the middle of this game, he turned those boos into wild cheers as he turned himself around and retired all of the batters he faced. It was incredible to see.

Ubaldo worked all winter in the Dominican Republic and then into ST. He kept going into this first start, and we saw the results. He's not going to be perfect, and he'll have some bad starts -- this happens with every pitcher. But the nightmare of his 2014 season is now behind him.

By the way, my guy is a great cheerleader, which is the only role he had during the post season. Did anyone see him wave his fists around when Delmon Young hit his game winning double during the ALDS? I didn't see it because I was at the game, but when I saw this game as an "Orioles Classic" on MASN, the camera showed him doing his cheerleading thing. This year, when I was watching one of the broadcasts, Gary Thorne mentioned Ubaldo and his 3 coaches that have been helping him. The camera showed him, and he was leaning on the dugout rail, ready to cheerlead for his teammates.

Some people might fear that Ubaldo will revert to his 2014 form. But with Wallace, Chiti, and Ramon Martinez watching him closely, they'll step in and fix whatever he might be doing wrong. I do believe that we have our Ace in the Hole right here. ;)

From the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :clap::D

I don't know what to expect now. I will say this. His last outing was a legitimate gem and it shut down a very good hitting team. Lets see if he can do it again.

I know what I expect. I expect to continue to see what we saw in his first game. He looks more relaxed and confident in his ability to hit his spots. Now, he isn't afraid to set up the hitter for a high fastball because he knows he can locate it out of the zone. This is the pitcher we thought we signed. Not trying to be a reactionary poster here, but he had some decent games for us last year, but they were almost accidental. This year he looks like a pitcher in control of his game. He is actually fun to watch now.

I know what I expect. I expect to continue to see what we saw in his first game. He looks more relaxed and confident in his ability to hit his spots. Now, he isn't afraid to set up the hitter for a high fastball because he knows he can locate it out of the zone. This is the pitcher we thought we signed. Not trying to be a reactionary poster here, but he had some decent games for us last year, but they were almost accidental. This year he looks like a pitcher in control of his game. He is actually fun to watch now.

Nice post. He absolutely looked confident in his ability to set up hitters. That of course first comes with the ability to command the FB which was a result of his taking in stride a demotion to the BP where simplified his mechanics, something he's never done prior in his career.

Nice post. He absolutely looked confident in his ability to set up hitters. That of course first comes with the ability to command the FB which was a result of his taking in stride a demotion to the BP where simplified his mechanics, something he's never done prior in his career.
In every interview that he had with reporters since the middle of ST, he has always talked about the necessity of commanding his fastball. Being successful in doing so, because of the coaching he received, has been the key to his recent success.

I'm glad that Jimenez isn't one of those guys who got a big pay-day and stopped caring, but let's be honest, he's a major league player so he should work hard. With the amount of money that the Orioles are giving him, he should listen to his coaches, try to improve and try to live up to his contract.

I know I've been saying this like a broken record . But Ubaldo has been working his tail off since last season. The absolute best thing that Buck did last August was demote him to the bull pen; this made him know how bad things were getting. But Buck didn't just dump him in the pen and forget about him. Instead, he was able to get the help he needed to fix his mechanics. His reclamation started there and continued through August and September. Speaking of booing, during the clincher game (which I attended), when he started badly, the boos weren't just "scattered", they were steady and loud. But right in the middle of this game, he turned those boos into wild cheers as he turned himself around and retired all of the batters he faced. It was incredible to see.

Ubaldo worked all winter in the Dominican Republic and then into ST. He kept going into this first start, and we saw the results. He's not going to be perfect, and he'll have some bad starts -- this happens with every pitcher. But the nightmare of his 2014 season is now behind him.

By the way, my guy is a great cheerleader, which is the only role he had during the post season. Did anyone see him wave his fists around when Delmon Young hit his game winning double during the ALDS? I didn't see it because I was at the game, but when I saw this game as an "Orioles Classic" on MASN, the camera showed him doing his cheerleading thing. This year, when I was watching one of the broadcasts, Gary Thorne mentioned Ubaldo and his 3 coaches that have been helping him. The camera showed him, and he was leaning on the dugout rail, ready to cheerlead for his teammates.

Some people might fear that Ubaldo will revert to his 2014 form. But with Wallace, Chiti, and Ramon Martinez watching him closely, they'll step in and fix whatever he might be doing wrong. I do believe that we have our Ace in the Hole right here. ;)

From the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :clap::D

I respect that you are a dedicated fan, but what's the deal with the man-crush on Jimenez? I know that he has a reputation as being a really nice guy but he hasn't been a very good pitcher since 2010

I respect that you are a dedicated fan, but what's the deal with the man-crush on Jimenez? I know that he has a reputation as being a really nice guy but he hasn't been a very good pitcher since 2010
If you don't understand it by now, then you don't understand it.

Archived