Kevin Gausman: Mental or physical?

PeteU

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in the Gausman for the rotation camp too. But let me ask you this about Jimenez, are you comfortable with McFarland, Wright, Wilson, Bundy, or Davies filling out two spots of the rotation next season? For me, that's a lot of risk. And I don't think we'll be able to sign a cheaper/better FA starter. I get that you have no confidence in Ubaldo, I just hope he proves you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy isn't an option, he is a pitch count and inning count as they slowly bring him around this season.

I'd like to see him starting every 5th day. The more he pitches as this level, the quicker he'll get it. Move Norris to the pen until his command returns.

The Crystal Buck'ball in my brain tells me Showalter has a plan for all of this and I think it follows the 'next-man-up' philosophy. Guasman is in the pen and not AAA because he IS the next-man-up. Who wears this moniker in Norfolk? I have no idea, but its probably the hot hand.

I'm not sure how many more shots Norris gets, he has been horrible from the start of spring training through his last start. He likely get bumped to the pen or DL very soon.

At that point, I say Guasman is the next man up, lets see what he can do for 3-5 starts before making another move.

McFarland is likely to guy to move into the pen if Norris goes to the DL or somehow gets demoted to AAA, although it seems unlikely the Orioles manage to get him there.

Comment From mtsw

How possible is it that Kevin Gausman kinda sucks? Are Orioles fans being blinded by his pedigree and velocity and not noticing his flaws?

12:51

Dave Cameron: I don’t think he sucks, but he’s definitely overrated.

Comment From mtsw

How possible is it that Kevin Gausman kinda sucks? Are Orioles fans being blinded by his pedigree and velocity and not noticing his flaws?

Gausan definitely doesn't suck. However, I remember when everyone was high as a kite on Bundy and someone proposing-would you trade Bundy for....like elite elite players of the game and people saying "no way". LOL. Usually during that euphoria is the time to sell high.

Comment From mtsw

Doesn't really surprise me that Dave Cameron would say that, LOL. Also gotta love how he doesn't point out anything specific but just says he's overrated.

FWIW, it seems to me to be a command issue. Last year he consistently could throw the low strike. This year he doesn't seem to do so. As hard as he throws, it seems like when he elevates he gets hit.

There must not be much deception in his wind-up.

How come 4.1 IP in 2015 suddenly becomes more representative of Gausman than the 113 IP of 2014?

See above. Last year his numbers really weren't that great. 3.57 ERA was decent, but 1.31 WHIP, 7.0 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 are all mediocre. His first year had better BB and K numbers, but higher ERA. He flashed awesome stuff in the bullpen at the end of the season last year, but so far his career as a whole has been just okay. He may turn out to be good, but so far he has been about average. It's not just this year that has me concerned.

See above. Last year his numbers really weren't that great. 3.57 ERA was decent, but 1.31 WHIP, 7.0 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 are all mediocre. His first year had better BB and K numbers, but higher ERA. He flashed awesome stuff in the bullpen at the end of the season last year, but so far his career as a whole has been just okay. He may turn out to be good, but so far he has been about average. It's not just this year that has me concerned.
He lead the SP in FIP. Isn't that all that matters? Getting your panties in a twist over 4 IP is absurd.

Archived