For What it's worth.....

Belkast

If it is true that we will really/truly make a very strong push for Tex and get him, than I would keep Roberts. If we're not going to get Tex/some other real good hitter at a spot we need next year, then I would trade him.

IMO, this is just plain wrong. How can we predict now whether we will get him or not? In any event, Tex is going to come here or not whether BRob is here or not.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not crazy about signing another vet pitcher but let's face it none of the young guys appear ready. Liz and Olson need to work on thier mechanics and control. Penn is still rehabbing basically and needs to build arm strength and getting in pitching shape. Albers sounds like a bust to me.Loewen might not even be ready. Adding a vet would keep them from burning up the bullpen which has issues of it's own.Leicaster and Burres would probably be servicable starters but they might be long relievers also.. I won't like the Cubs deal unless Eric Patterson is in it. I think he's a legit prospect. At least the Roberts issue will be resovled soon. Everybody wants it over with one way or the other.

I am sorry, but this is just wrong. How can we predict now whether we will get him or not? Tex is going to come here or not whether BRob is here or not.

Right....No way players sign because they have a friend on the team...With the business of baseball nowadays, you never know what could happen.

Hah!

But if I had my choice I would love to have a vet or two around the young guys. Flash forward 2 or 3 seasons, or whenever you believe it's reasonable to think of the O's as contenders. At that point, in my opinion, your young pitchers are better off if they spent the 2008 season (and maybe more) around some wise vets that helped them along.

The problem is that having Traschel and another vet pitcher around means that some of those young pitchers they are supposed to be helping will be 200 miles away in Norfolk instead of in Baltimore.

Problem is, you get another vet, there ain't gonna be any young guys for them to be around . . .

I hear you there. But the vet doesn't have to be a starter eating up innings. Maybe somebody to hang around in the pen, show the guys how prepare, study opponents, pitch to your defense, grow up, etc.. I believe there's an awful lot of learning done off the mound.

Can you post Miller's stats?

2003 (Rk) - 0-4, 4.96 ERA, 32.2 IP (10 starts), 1.19 WHIP, 6.34 K/9

2004 (A) - 7-4, 3.36 ERA, 91 IP (19 starts), 1.18 WHIP, 10.48 K/9

2004 (A+) - 3-2 2.08 ERA, 43.1 IP (8 starts), 0.95 WHIP, 9.55 K/9

2005 (A-) - 0-0, 5.06 ERA, 10.2 IP (3 starts), 1.97 WHIP, 5.06 K/9

2005 (A+) - 2-4, 4.83 ERA 59.2 IP (12 starts), 1.56 WHIP, 6.79 K/9

2006 (AA) - 15-6 2.75 ERA, 153.2 IP (26 games, 24 starts) 1.11 WHIP, 9.20 K/9

2006 (AAA) - 0-0, 5.79 ERA. 4.2 IP (1 start), 1.50 WHIP, 7.71 K/9

2007 (AAA) - 5-4. 4.82 ERA, 65.1 IP (19 games, 11 starts), 1.36 WHIP, 9.37 K/9

I am sorry, but this is just wrong. How can we predict now whether we will get him or not? Tex is going to come here or not whether BRob is here or not.

You misinterpreted what I meant, I think. I'm not saying to keep Brian b/c he would help us get Tex, I'm saying that if we intend to heavily pursue Tex, I think that moves up our competitive window to a certain extent. Therefore, if we are planning (and McPhail should know if he is planning to) on making a strong push for Tex, than I would keep Roberts b/c that fills 2B. My unspoken assumption with this is that if we were to get Texiera, that Roberts would be willing to extend.

With Tex, Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Jones, Scott/Reimold on-board, that would be a fairly solid core IMO.

Another veteran starting pitcher???

You have to think that Gallagher comes back in any Roberts trade with the Cubs and he should be put into the rotation immediately. Then you've got Olson, Penn, Albers and anyone else fighting out for another spot. Trax is already in there. I just can't see it.

Since none of the starters are really right there as far as being ready there is nothing wrong with making them wait until July and trade Trachsel and let's just say Lohse each for the same kind of package we got for Trachsel last year, a servicable relief prospect and a nice corner infield prospect.

We should deal Roberts and sign that veteran pitcher. At the break, we trade Trachsel, the other vet, Walker and Bradford and we simply insert Olson or Gallagher/Miller, Patton, Albers, Penn, Liz, Mickolio, Hoey, McCrory among others. Not a horrible strategy.

You misinterpreted what I meant, I think. I'm not saying to keep Brian b/c he would help us get Tex, I'm saying that if we intend to heavily pursue Tex, I think that moves up our competitive window to a certain extent. Therefore, if we are planning (and McPhail should know if he is planning to) on making a strong push for Tex, than I would keep Roberts b/c that fills 2B. My unspoken assumption with this is that if we were to get Texiera, that Roberts would be willing to extend.

With Tex, Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Jones, Scott/Reimold on-board, that would be a fairly solid core IMO.

Good clarification Bee but still, we have no control over Tex now and so that is a huge roll of the dice to planb anythign around him being an O. The rebuild plan would be far more complete with a trade of BRob that brings back 3-4 additional young players under our cheap and longer control who can develop into future members of the big league team.

INTERESTING....

Boy there could be some pissed Cubs fans if Cleveland snags BROB before they do

Au contraire, mon freire.

Lots of Cubs fans would be thrilled to see Roberts go to Cleveland, ending this circus once and for all, and allowing Gallagher and friends to stay right where they are. That'd be a terrific outcome IMO (although naturally the whole thing hinges on exactly which friends we're dealing with here).

Since none of the starters are really right there as far as being ready there is nothing wrong with making them wait until July and trade Trachsel and let's just say Lohse each for the same kind of package we got for Trachsel last year, a servicable relief prospect and a nice corner infield prospect.

We should deal Roberts and sign that veteran pitcher. At the break, we trade Trachsel, the other vet, Walker and Bradford and we simply insert Olson or Gallagher/Miller, Patton, Albers, Penn, Liz, Mickolio, Hoey, McCrory among others. Not a horrible strategy.

I highly doubt we'd get that good of a deal for Trax again. In the first place, that was a steal - highly unlikely for another team to do that. Secondly, he's a year older and most likely won't even touch his production from last year. We will get nothing of value for Trax IMO. On the other hand, if we sign Lohse, and he pitches decently, we could get a decent deal for him (maybe a little more than we got for Trax last year).

2003 (Rk) - 0-4, 4.96 ERA, 32.2 IP (10 starts), 1.19 WHIP, 6.34 K/9

2004 (A) - 7-4, 3.36 ERA, 91 IP (19 starts), 1.18 WHIP, 10.48 K/9

2004 (A+) - 3-2 2.08 ERA, 43.1 IP (8 starts), 0.95 WHIP, 9.55 K/9

2005 (A-) - 0-0, 5.06 ERA, 10.2 IP (3 starts), 1.97 WHIP, 5.06 K/9

2005 (A+) - 2-4, 4.83 ERA 59.2 IP (12 starts), 1.56 WHIP, 6.79 K/9

2006 (AA) - 15-6 2.75 ERA, 153.2 IP (26 games, 24 starts) 1.11 WHIP, 9.20 K/9

2006 (AAA) - 0-0, 5.79 ERA. 4.2 IP (1 start), 1.50 WHIP, 7.71 K/9

2007 (AAA) - 5-4. 4.82 ERA, 65.1 IP (19 games, 11 starts), 1.36 WHIP, 9.37 K/9

Thanks... I think I'd prefer a position player with good-great AAA stats... in the deal as opposed to another pitcher..

Thanks... I think I'd prefer a position player with good-great AAA stats... in the deal as opposed to another pitcher..

I tend to agree, it's just that Miller has ace potential and that's something a lot of our pitchers don't have. He would become our #1 pitching prospect. If Peralta and Miller was the final offer, I would take it. We take a side step by trading BRob and getting Peralta (fill SS hole but open up one at 2B) but we would also add a top pitching prospect (he was the #30 ranked prospect on BA's list). I think you do that deal and then look elsewhere for a 2B.

Archived