Red Sox up next

ChuckS

It will be an interesting series to watch in an early battle to be top dog in the AL East. By the time this series is over we'll have played one series against each AL East team. If we can take 3 of 4 to get off to an 8-5 start in the division, I'll say we've established that we'll be tough to topple as AL East champs.

First, let's worry about Game 1. Should be a good one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez vs. Kelly on Friday, Tillman vs. Buckholz on Saturday, Chen vs. Porcello on Sunday, and Gonzalez vs. Masterson on Monday. Would I be too bold in saying we have the SP advantage in every matchup?

According to the Orioles' official MLB page, Gonzalez is starting on Sunday and Chen on Monday. I guess Buck switched them.

It's possible that we do. I actually think that starting pitching could be the Red Sox biggest weakness. They have a very nice, strong team in the field - balanced, some speed, some power, youth and age. Their bullpen could be sick. I am skeptical of their starting pitching over the course of a long season. And that could impact their pen eventually.

I see us as the same "boring" rotation that just churns and does a very solid job... It keeps us in games almost every time. blowouts seem rare with this group. And they almost never pile up.

I guess time shall tell on the Sox rotation. But right now, I would have to say, you are not too bold in saying...

You see, the problem with this is that they have some guys who had some REALLY bad seasons last year. Posters around here like to characterize Ubaldo's season last year as a dumpster fire, but check this out:

Jimenez: 4.81 ERA, 125.1 IP, 80 ERA+, 4.67 FIP, 1.516 WHIP

Masterson: 5.88 ERA, 128.2 IP, 64 ERA+, 4.50 FIP, 1.632 WHIP

Buchholz: 5.34 ERA, 170.1 IP, 72 ERA+, 4.01 FIP, 1.386 WHIP

All of their other pitchers, Kelly, Miley and Porcello had season =s that are very much behind those of our other pitchers as well.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say we have the better rotation at this point.

Interesting. Keeps Gonzalez on normal rest and gives Chen a week off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/Q

I wonder if this is matchup or gut call.

It doesn't really affect match ups because their spots are against the same teams until the end of the month when Gonzalez will now get CWS and Chen gets an off day, then Tampa. (No rain of course). It's probably a way to give Chen more days off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't really affect match ups because their spots are against the same teams until the end of the month when Gonzalez will now get CWS and Chen gets an off day, then Tampa. (No rain of course). It's probably a way to give Chen more days off.

I was thinking matchups like the Tigers thrive on left-handed pitching or the Orioles of 2012 couldnt hit left handed pitching.

Monday is that morning game. Looking at the splits, Chen is slightly better during the day, while it seems that Gonzo is slightly better at night. Maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know...

I think Boston has the edge in Game 1. If Ubaldo can do it again, and the O's manage a win, they are set up pretty well for the rest of the series.

I love this schedule for the early part of the season-- you find out how the O's stack up right away. I'm pretty fired up for this series and it's only the middle of April.

Archived