Grantland: Why Is One of Baltimore's Best Starting Pitchers Stuck in the Bullpen?

AlbionHero

I defy any of you to name one pitch Bud Norris currently throws which is better than Gausman's. Bud's slider? Kevin's change up. FB? Nope.

RZ noted that veteranosity plays a role. Look, there's a very real possibility they are giving Norris the opportunity to perform up to the level he did last year before trading him.

With everyone healthy, it makes sense to try to trade one of the more expensive veterans at some point, both to clear a spot for Gausman and to acquire a bit of talent in return. Those vets become more marketable if they?re starting, as opposed to throwing long relief ? even if the guy in the pen is already better than most of them.

Bud Norris has better stuff than Jimenez. I don't care how Jimenez did in his first start, his track record says that he is a wildly inconsistent pitcher who is capable of pitching very well but more often than not doesn't. Bud Norris is coming off of a good year and has been a better pitcher than Jimenez for the past few seasons. That being said, if Norris continues to struggle (he pitched better yesterday) and Jimenez continues to not be awful lol, then that changes.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin is not going to be pen much longer. We all know that. IMO I think whats best for the Orioles now is to have Kevin in the pen and still face MLB level batters. He would be the first one to get a spot start due to injury or double header. Since we have been healthy he most likely will go down to AAA soon to get stretched out and work on his command.

He's got the talent. He's got the arm.

I'm trying to think back to Tillman's journey (not easy as I'm on a long train home and have been drinking), but seems he was allowed to pitch in AAA until we could no longer ignore the growth he'd made. Then someone stumbles, and a spot opens up. I think that's Gausman's path. I think he'll develop more in AAA pitching every 5th day and not being jerked back and forth in the bullpen in the bigs. When his time is ready, he'll be here and thrive.

Bud Norris has better stuff than Jimenez. I don't care how Jimenez did in his first start, his track record says that he is a wildly inconsistent pitcher who is capable of pitching very well but more often than not doesn't. Bud Norris is coming off of a good year and has been a better pitcher than Jimenez for the past few seasons. That being said, if Norris continues to struggle (he pitched better yesterday) and Jimenez continues to not be awful lol, then that changes.

Bud Norris may be faster than Jiminez and have better control, but he does not have better stuff.

I'm concerned about Gausman right now. I don't see growth. Add to that where Bundy and Harvey are... I sure hope we lock up Tillman for a while.

Its tough to grow if you're constantly sent back and forth from the majors to AAA, and forced into a role in the bullpen you're not used to.

My concerns about KG are on record in the other thread. The one thing I will add is one of his strengths argues for him being in the bullpen. We did not resign Miller, so right now we are lacking that bridge guy who can come in regardless of matchup and get three to six big outs in the middle of the game. O'Day and Hunter both have problems against lefties; Matusz has problems against righties. Garcia is completely unproven. Brach has good L/R splits but just isn't lights out on the level of Miller. While even splits are desirable in the rotation and in the closer spot, you still need one or two guys in the bullpen that can come in at any time and dominate. My reading is that having him in the bullpen is more a bout the O's current needs than Gausman's ability or developmental path. If he performs, we hand him a rotation spot in 2016.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a Norfolk assignment while he continues to work on his command and offspeed stuff.

Bud Norris may be faster than Jiminez and have better control, but he does not have better stuff.

I respectfully disagree. Jimenez has been a below average pitcher with diminished velocity since 2010. The only significant stretch that his ERA has been below 4.00 in that same time frame was July-September of 2013 and that got him a payday from the Orioles.

Its tough to grow if you're constantly sent back and forth from the majors to AAA, and forced into a role in the bullpen you're not used to.

I agree

I think Norris' slider is better.

:)

But he's a hot mess, that guy. His fastball is all over creation. No command.

Right, and I noted Bud's slider but it's equaled or surpassed by Gausman's CH. That may not have been clear the way I wrote it.

I respect your opinion, I understand your thought process, but don't buy into it.

But, for the moment, I trust Buck.

Buck is going to do what he things is best for the overall club, with the goal of the WS in mind.

Well, of course. And that goes to the last part in bold along with DD. To my point, they may want the best out of the parts they know aren't coming back to get the most value before making room for KG

I'm sure we can find 12,000,000 people who'll disagree, but it's fairly clear that Orioles leadership thinks its the best balance of short- and long-term goals for both winning and development to have Norris in the rotation and Gausman in the pen, for now. But that would make for a fairly short article.

Something I'm reading between the lines with Duquette and Buck.

Guasman hasn't EARNED his spot in the rotation.

He is the next guy up, but right now, he is in the spot he has earned: the 6th starter / long man.

One could argue such labels are pedantic. I think its a philosophy Buck wants to ingrain in the organization.

Out opportunity. Grind. Earn your role.

He is the next guy up, but right now, he is in the spot he has earned: the 6th starter / long man.

One could argue such labels are pedantic. I think its a philosophy Buck wants to ingrain in the organization.

:agree:

So Jimenez making one good start after being a disaster last year earned him a spot?

Archived