Grantland: Why Is One of Baltimore's Best Starting Pitchers Stuck in the Bullpen?

AlbionHero

He has a great changeup (actually 2 types) . Not much of an issue there.

That's right - a kind of split change and a regular change. I would almost rather see him work on that splitter rather than a slider. Fastball, split, change... could be pretty devastating right there. If that split looks anything like his change, but dives out of the zone... yikes. That could be a nasty out pitch.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right - a kind of split change and a regular change. I would almost rather see him work on that splitter rather than a slider. Fastball, split, change... could be pretty devastating right there. If that split looks anything like his change, but dives out of the zone... yikes. That could be a nasty out pitch.

Well, the changeup (split or straight) is "generally" more effective for opposite side hitters (left hand batters). Left hand hitters in his case. Most RHP's will either have a curve or slider to attack the RHB's. That's seams to be the major concern with Gausman.

He has a great changeup (actually 2 types) . Not much of an issue there.

Are you serious? His "2nd" change is a Splitter with a "messed" up grip. His circle change is flat and little movement. KG is so confident in it..he's only thrown 1 so far this year.

Are you serious? His "2nd" change is a Splitter with a "messed" up grip. His circle change is flat and little movement. KG is so confident in it..he's only thrown 1 so far this year.

The split-change/splitter (I don't care what you call it) is pretty damn good imo. The other one not so much. I couldn't care less how he grips it. We'll have to disagree if you think his splitter/split change "isn't good". You're probably the only one I've ever heard say that. He threw a plenty of really good changeups/splitters as a starter last year, so I'm not sure what to make of the sample size and strategy this year coming out of the BP.

Both his change ups are good pitches based on stuff. He hasn't learned how to use them properly.

He also throw two fastballs both of which are nasty. But consistent has been a problem as it is with many young arms.

The curve is the new pitch although I'm pretty sure he threw one in college. And it's a smart addition. See the grant land piece.

Both his change ups are good pitches based on stuff. He hasn't learned how to use them properly.

He also throw two fastballs both of which are nasty. But consistent has been a problem as it is with many young arms.

The curve is the new pitch although I'm pretty sure he threw one in college. And it's a smart addition. See the grant land piece.

I'm less impressed with his FB I guess. His 2 seam and 4 seam FB seam indistinguishable at times and too often quite hittable. Glad to hear he's changing elevation though and hopefully learning to run his 2 seam more. Like you said, I think its largely a matter of putting things together and learning how to pitch. I'm not so sure sure about the strategy in the BP versus AAA though. I get the Orioles idea to have him face stiffer competition at the ML level, but I want to see him him work on all his pitches and command them and not just come in out of the BP with heat. Tough line here, but maybe long relief will work.

I'm sure we can find 12,000,000 people who'll disagree, but it's fairly clear that Orioles leadership thinks its the best balance of short- and long-term goals for both winning and development to have Norris in the rotation and Gausman in the pen, for now. But that would make for a fairly short article.

Well, they are idiots.

So...let me see if I follow the thread. KG isn't in the rotation because the O's are a meritocracy. But Jimenez. His stuff isn't better than others currently in the rotation. But Norris (a.k.a. the epitome of ML mediocrity based on his history). Well, in Buck/the O's development plan we trust. But...nearly every pitcher they've moved through the system since Mussina.

The only theory that makes any sense whatsoever is that 2-3 members of the current rotation are basically auditioning for one possible trade. But then you have to stretch KG back out so that he can fill the vacancy.

Bottom line? I don't see how KG advances his ability to start in the majors by getting scattered, long relief innings from the 'pen. And given the O's...ahem...shaky track record in terms of development, I'd say this has the more of the makings of another botched effort than it does the trimmings of a master plan in action.

I am not too fixated on him throwing 100mph... We all know it's more about location and movement, and having something to keep the hitters from simply timing that batting-cage fastball for home runs (Armando Benitez anyone?). Still... KG has the best arm in the organization already. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

To even be assessing him on spring training and the first handful of games seems almost pointless, with all due respect. I understand the idea that he could be down in AAA throwing a lot of innings (and a lot of sliders, or split-changes, or whatever he's trying to nail down for his secondary offerings).

At the same time, he might be talented enough to jump in at some point this season as an Orioles starter... get by on a great fastball and a solid secondary pitch... and just work on that third one during his starts.

I think if you have an upper-90s fastball, you should probably be throwing that about 80 percent of the time or more, if you can locate it, of course. :)

Best arm vs best stuff is a big difference. Best arm says he's a thrower and that's it. That's BP material 10/10 times. Best stuff is starter material.

Personally, I am assessing him on the standard everybody else is using to knock Norris and put KG in the rotation. My position for KG going to to AAA is to work on his 2nd, 3rd and gain some consistency with a 4th pitch. His 2nd pitch has to be lights out if he's gonna rely on his 4seam 80% of the time which has been the case for last year and so far this year. Last year 80% of the time was fine but he never got through 3 times in the line up. This year and going foward if you use it 80% time.. it's gonna be a long season for you as He's not gonna get through a line up a 2nd and 3rd time relying on a 4seam with little to no movement. 4seam is just about velocity and once timed it's one of those pitches to sit on and if KG is throwing it 80% of the time. That will spell disaster. Hence.. if he's gonna go with the split/change combo or the circle change as his 2nd pitch.. it better be a knockout pitch. But they aren't He needs his split/change to have Ubaldo type ability. Or if it's his circle change, it's gotta have some big diving movement, it can't hang up or it will be crushed. It has to be nasty. Then his 3rd pitch one or the other has to be just as good. Now I think he has to have that slider as his 4th pitch. He needs it and if he finds it and develops it.. he could be Randy Johnson type nasty. Until then.. hitters are gonna sit on his 4seam and circle change (88-90mph). Which they have been doing so far this year.

Good article on what I am saying: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/8/8/5981655/gausman-orioles-sacrifice-development-for-immediate-contributions-slider

I am just giving my $.02 from experience. I grew up in the same town Matt White but played lots of games with him in high school my freshman year. He was a big deal around the country when I was a freshman. He was USA Today?s National High School Baseball Player of the Year, Gatorade Player of the Year in 1996. At the time, Matt White was the best HS pitcher in the country (Baseball America). So you understand how highly he was ranked.. here is a list of players who have that honor.. Josh Hamilton, Joe Mauer, Homer Bailey, Justin Upton, Mike Moustakas, Bryce Harper, Dylan Bundy, Byron Buxton, and Clint Frazier. He was ranked by Baseball America the #4 prospect in the country in 1997. But He only had two pitches.. in which he had confidence in.. 4seam and circle change. He had no other pitch that he would throw.

When he was drafted, he was drafted 1st round, 7th pick by the Giants.. Giants failed to sign him and his agent, Scott Boras, played the system and got him a $10.2m signing bonus with the Rays. Boras explioted Rule 4E (drafting team had to contact draftee within 15 days).

I only point this out because when he was declared a FA because of the explioted rule.. our Orioles made an offer to sign him. I don't want KG or even Bundy to be a Matt White. Love Matt White as friend but he was always thrower and I hate throws more then anything because once the fastball is gone.. your career is done. So you have to develop pitches, you have to have the smarts. Throwing FB 80% of the time is UNEXCEPTABLE. You need dept in your pitch selection. Any thrower can throw up 90s.. but can you throw 7 plus innings and be dominate? No.. KG has yet to prove that and he never will. So send him to AAA and learn other pitches.. and dominate in MLB.

The split-change/splitter (I don't care what you call it) is pretty damn good imo. The other one not so much. I couldn't care less how he grips it. We'll have to disagree if you think his splitter/split change "isn't good". You're probably the only one I've ever heard say that. He threw a plenty of really good changeups/splitters as a starter last year, so I'm not sure what to make of the sample size and strategy this year coming out of the BP.

It's a pitch that actually produces more flyballs then groundballs (not good at Camden Yards). I don't care how he grips either. I am just pointing it out because people confuse if it's a splitter or change up.. KG says it's a splitter change. Whatever the hell that means.

This is what I am worried about with KG: http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/04/15/kevin-gausman-predictable-bullpen/

He's predictable now because he's basically a Two pitch thrower.

Sending him to AAA is a ludicrous, non starter of an idea. He's on the major league team. He has the best manager, the best pitching coach and the best mentors in the organization right where he is. Sending him down to "work" on something is one of the dumbest ideas I've read on this board.

The bottom line is that the Orioles have decided to continue Gausman's development at the ML level and in a relief/long relief role for the time being. The reasons in the article are explained. They've scrapped his slider and are gong with a curve ball. He was clearly throttling back on his FB in his last appearance. I'm sure we'll see his CB at some point here soon and I doubt he has lsot confidence in his split/split change based on not seeing it as much so far this year. He has ML pitching coach and will face ML hitters. I'm sure Gausman could dominate AAA hitter at anytime. I basically agree with Brady Bunch that Gausman has plenty of issues to work on, but am perfectly fine doing at the ML level for right now. It may get rough, and if it does the Orioles will change course.

No, they aren't. When hitters learn to set dead red after a year in the league, you know your stuff isn't good enough. He actually throws only one. You are confusing his splitter/change up with a "sinker". Again only thrown 3 times in 2015 season... but it's never swung at and missed either. Say like Britton's.

He can tell you it's curve all he wants. But from day one scouts saw his curve in HS and College as a future slider due to his arm speed. All he is doing is slowing down his arm speed and you get gitty and call it a new pitch. It's his slider he never developed in the minors.

Read the Grantland piece and not impressed. KG is good.. he needs to go to the next level for 2 reasons. 1) you want him a starter 2) you want him to be what we all hoped.. you can't do that in the MLB if you are trying to win another pennant.

The bottom line is that the Orioles have decided to continue Gausman's development at the ML level and in a relief/long relief role for the time being. The reasons in the article are explained. They've scrapped his slider and are gong with a curve ball. He was clearly throttling back on his FB in his last appearance. I'm sure we'll see his CB at some point here soon and I doubt he has lsot confidence in his split/split change based on not seeing it as much so far this year. He has ML pitching coach and will face ML hitters. I'm sure Gausman could dominate AAA hitter at anytime. I basically agree with Brady Bunch that Gausman has plenty of issues to work on, but am perfectly fine doing at the ML level for right now. It may get rough, and if it does the Orioles will change course.

I don't disagree with you on the long end of it.. but right now.. I am worried about him learning in MLB with a shaky BP already. Can't have him "learning" and "developing" pitching in MLB. It could be bad.

Archived