Baseball Prospectus Organizational Rankings

SHAWN555

I'm sorry, how are the orioles better than the Tigers with Miguel Cabrera? These people have lost all credibility that they may have ever had with me. The Tigers will likely win the AL Central, and the Indians are their best competition. There is no way, as optimistic as I'd like to be that the Orioles are a better team on paper than either one of those teams. Because, this is obviously on paper. I mean, who knows. The Orioles could have a mircale season...but, I seriously doubt it. But, there is no way that on paper they are better than most of, if any of those teams.

The key is ORGANIZATION!!

The Tigers are good at the ML level, but they stripped their minors to get Cabrera/Willis.

It talks about how good our minors are becoming.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, how are the orioles better than the Tigers with Miguel Cabrera? These people have lost all credibility that they may have ever had with me. The Tigers will likely win the AL Central, and the Indians are their best competition. There is no way, as optimistic as I'd like to be that the Orioles are a better team on paper than either one of those teams. Because, this is obviously on paper. I mean, who knows. The Orioles could have a mircale season...but, I seriously doubt it. But, there is no way that on paper they are better than most of, if any of those teams.

The rankings are organizational rankings, which means farm system not major league club. Obviously the Orioles wouldn't even be in the top 25 if this were rankings of major league teams.

YOu are missing the fact that they are ranking the entire organization. Obviously our major league team is not better than the Tigers or anyone else's, but the Tigers have emptied the farm to win now.

Sorry guys my bad.

Didnt realize it was pay only.

They list teams 16-30 today and Orioles werent listed so they are in the top 15.

Tomorrows will have the top 15 listed and I will put parts of it here.

30 White sox

29 astros

28 mets

27 Tigers

26 Phillies

25 Giants

24 Jays

23 Mariners

22 royals

21 Marlins

20 Indians

19 Diamondbacks

18 Twins

17 Pirates

16 Cubs

What's sad is that eleven of those teams have made the playoffs in past 5 years. And four of those teams have reached a World Series.

So my conclusion is they either blew their load getting to the playoffs, or had a hard time keeping key guys around to sustain their organization.

What's sad is that eleven of those teams have made the playoffs in past 5 years. And four of those teams have reached a World Series.

So my conclusion is they either blew their load getting to the playoffs, or had a hard time keeping key guys around to sustain their organization.

A lot of these teams cashed in their chips either last winter or this one to get more major league-ready talent.

Second half of rankings is here:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7204

10. Baltimore Orioles

Last Year's Ranking: 18

Why They're Up: They drafted the best college position player in Matt Wieters, and added a ton of talent in the Erik Bedard trade.

Strengths: Right-handers who throw hard; power prospects; just on his own, Wieters makes catching a strength.

Weaknesses: Athletic position players, especially in the middle infield and center field.

Outlook for 2009 Ranking: They could be up if third baseman Billy Rowell and right-hander Brandon Erbe can return to previous form.

Nats are at #14 here, much lower than BA. Rays are #1, BoSox are #4, Yanks are #6.

Well they posted the top half of the rankings and they have the O's sitting pretty at 10 with potential to be higher next year.

10. Baltimore Orioles

Last Year's Ranking: 18

Why They're Up: They drafted the best college position player in Matt Wieters, and added a ton of talent in the Erik Bedard trade.

Strengths: Right-handers who throw hard; power prospects; just on his own, Wieters makes catching a strength.

Weaknesses: Athletic position players, especially in the middle infield and center field.

Outlook for 2009 Ranking: They could be up if third baseman Billy Rowell and right-hander Brandon Erbe can return to previous form.

http://http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7204

Second half of rankings is here:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7204

Nats are at #14 here, much lower than BA. Rays are #1, BoSox are #4, Yanks are #6.

Wow!!! #10.....higher than I expected. Great to hear. Definitely on the path back to a deep system....hopefully we can continue to actually develop the talent and Jordan can keep drafting well. The lack of positional talent in the MI definitely hurts but the pitchng depth is there....at all levels too. I'm not one who wants to trade the young pitching we've started to hoard.....that's the idea...hoard it and pick your best 5 for the ML rotation and a few others for the pen.....Tillman, Liz, Erbe, Beato, Arrietta.....just great potetnial there.

Everyone says the AL East is the toughest because of having to go up against the MFY and Red Sux but with 4 of the teams in the Top 10 (at least BP's Top 10) it can be argued the AL East will be the toughest division by far top to bottom organizationally.

I wonder where we would rank if they did it by position. Such as outfielders, middle infielders, catchers, and pitchers? I would have to believe that our pitching would be at least in the Top 5 and our catching would be No. 1 due to Weiters.

Archived