I don't want to see Wieters playing for the O's until.......

wildcard

Guest rochester
Make no mistake about it, if Wieters or Davis wanted to re-sign in Baltimore, they would. Boras does not have as much to do with the actual decision making as many people seem to believe. Boras represents Davis and Wieters, he does not make decisions for them -- unless instructed to do so under certain circumstances. Davis and Wieters signed with Boras because they both want the most money possible, and Boras has a great reputation for getting the most money. This "Free Agent or Bust", as you put it, is as much Davis' and Wieters' philosophy as it is Boras'. Has either player come out and said they would stay in Baltimore for less money/hometown discount?

I agree that it is the clients option, however, I believe it is also true that Boras does have a lot of influence (to at least sell/advise them) over their decision(s). If Boras see McCann get $17M per I have a hard time believing Boras wouldn't use that as a gauge to sell Wieters on taking the leap into free agency. My difference may be as simple as Boras may present all options but he is not going to sell them 'settling' on an earlier, much cheaper contract. Boras is known for getting his clients the (arguably) major contracts (except for drew and Morales). These guys will take his advise if he says hold for FA.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not nearly so optimistic. He turns 29 this year and he's had exactly one minor league season with more than 12 homers or a .272 average, despite usually being old for his leagues.

Yes, and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can repeat his defensive performance over an entire season. RZ noted he seemed to tire at the end of last season and some others have mentioned his prolonged slump with the bat, but remember his numbers throwing out runners decreased also. Of course he was ridiculous out of the gate, but catching as many games as Wieters has per season for most of his career is no small thing. I'd like to see how he holds up if he's forced to be the go-to-guy for more than half a season.

That being said, Wieters last won the FB award in 2011 and his "rocket arm" is surely not that anymore. Could it recover to that this season after TJ? Maybe, but realistically we're looking into July before we've seen the "Joseph is horrible, Wieters is completely healthy and back to his old self" scenario.

Until then it's all speculation. I'm not as down on Wieters as some and not as high on Joseph as others, I'd like to see more. Wieters on a one year pillow contract to build value is not something I see happening with Boras so then it's on the Orioles. They'll do what's best to win this year.

Guest rochester
Wieters was a more valuable base-runner in his last full season in 2013 than Joseph was in 2014. That is to say that Wieters had less negative value than Joseph did.

That's sad....:o

Also, Joseph has never caught anything like a full schedule worth of games. His career high in games in a season was 135 in 2013, but that year he played more at other positions than he did at catcher.

This is a pretty big concern for me with Joseph. I thought he wore down last year.

This is a pretty big concern for me with Joseph. I thought he wore down last year.

He did, but it was his first full year playing ball at the major league level.

They said he came into camp stronger, which tells me he probably was on Brady's off-season workout routine.

Which gives me hope, he will fare better this season.

Guest rochester
I'm very happy that Joseph has dramatically outperformed expectations and seems to have secured a spot in the majors as a backup for while. He's a great story, easy to root for. But the idea that he's established himself as a quality long term starter after 89 games in his late 20s and a .651 OPS seems somewhat far-fetched.

Excellent points... do you think Caleb can maintain his defense as a potential placeholder for Cisco or whomever. I ask that because then the question comes down to $$. Do you resign Matt (I think he will cost too much in years, probably $$ and he's is not very versatile), bring in someone better than Caleb that is good but less expensive than Wieters, or, if his D can hold, keep Caleb as the starter (or someone similar) and invest the money somewhere else that will bring a larger return than Matt.

+

He did, but it was his first full year playing ball at the major league level.

They said he came into camp stronger, which tells me he probably was on Brady's off-season workout routine.

Which gives me hope, he will fare better this season.

That's good to hear. I think I'd still prefer to target him at around 100 games this year though (assuming Wieters doesn't come back or is inneffective).

That's good to hear. I think I'd still prefer to target him at around 100 games this year though (assuming Wieters doesn't come back or is inneffective).

Lavarnway has only played 2 games out of 8 and 151 games left.

He is going to hit that 100 games well before the season is over.

Wieters on a one year pillow contract to build value is not something I see happening with Boras so then it's on the Orioles.

The longer he's out the more likely that is. If Wieters plays a half a season and isn't that impressive who is going to sign him to a typical Boras contract? If he asks for 6/100 (or even 2/3rds of that) even the giddiest of the overspenders would laugh long and hard.

The longer he's out the more likely that is. If Wieters plays a half a season and isn't that impressive who is going to sign him to a typical Boras contract? If he asks for 6/100 (or even 2/3rds of that) even the giddiest of the overspenders would laugh long and hard.

He will have to sign a 1 year for 8 million, and prove that he is healthy and then go after the big $$$ deal.

Lavarnway has only played 2 games out of 8 and 151 games left.

He is going to hit that 100 games well before the season is over.

Yeah and that wouldn't be good imo.

Joseph caught about 100 games between AAA and the majors last year and he had four hits in 55 plate appearances in Sept/Oct. And two singles in nine ABs in the playoffs.

Even at middling numbers, as long as he's healthy Boras will highlight past performance.

Archived