Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

Who was that masked man behind the plate last night? Not the catcher. Not the Lone Ranger. Looked like a pretend ump to me. Must have been cause I did not see him around today.
This is a pretty strong statement as to how the MLB viewed that call.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are very wrong if you think Ubaldo was throwing at anyone. It was an inexperienced umpire's overreach. Period. There was a reason he was not allowed to umpire today.
There was no reason for Ubaldo to throw deliberately at Sandoval. No one can read his mind (unless someone has powers that I don't know about). He was pitching a no hitter, there were 2 outs and the team was leading 1-0. There is no way that Ubaldo would want to deliberately put anyone on base. In the post-game interview, Ubaldo said that his command wasn't completely there. I know that he's been working on his command, and it's far improved. But he knows that it's not always going to be there.

It was also the third game in a row that Sandoval had been hit by a pitch. Were they all intentional, or does he crowd the plate and not make much effort to get out of the way?

Heck that is easy to answer, since the Orioles aren't known to throw intentionally at batters.

Archived