Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

Baker's actually been in the league for a few years. I've seen him in several games.

There is the chance that he was just filling in as a call up from the minors at the start of his career, but I think he's been active on a regular basis at least since 2013, when the bubble gum criticism first got some attention.

He was the plate ump 29 times in 2014, 31 times in 2013, and 19 in 2012.

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/mlb/umpires/2014/umpire8564.html

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck should have destroyed the bull pen phone.

God yes. That Papi incident in Baltimore with the dugout phone irks me to this day. I'm a patient guy and give people far more rope than I should, but this was the one that turned me against Papi for good.

I posted my thoughts on Mr. Baker in the game thread... because the rules are looser there...

Suffice it to say... You are THIS, not the reason thousands of people paid hundreds of dollars to see. Know your place, you side piece.

Small-Traffic-Cone-Raw.jpg

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Embedded Tweet" height="211" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; width: 500px;"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So not only did this ump think it was intentional but it was head hunting, also? Yeah, a guy with a no-hitter always decides to go head hunting...or not.

Hitting a batter doesn't affect a pitcher's no-hitter, beside the fact it was the 4th inning and I don't know too many guys who think about it that early. However, it was only a one run lead and no one wants to put on base runners in a tight ballgame. So, it didn't make sense in that regard.

Joseph set up inside. Any umpire worth his salt could have seen him shift over before the pitch and realized the pitch just got away from him, not to mention he had 3 BB in a little over 3 IP so he wasn't exactly throwing all strikes up to that point.

I guess it's a little too much to expect these guys to think though.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Hitting a batter doesn't affect a pitcher's no-hitter, beside the fact it was the 4th inning and I don't know too many guys who think about it that early. However, it was only a one run lead and no one wants to put on base runners in a tight ballgame. So, it didn't make sense in that regard.

Joseph set up inside. Any umpire worth his salt could have seen him shift over before the pitch and realized the pitch just got away from him, not to mention he had 3 BB in a little over 3 IP so he wasn't exactly throwing all strikes up to that point.

I guess it's a little too much to expect these guys to think though.

Above their pay-grade. And intelligence level I guess...

The real shame is the Ump won't get more then a mild talking to.

Why should he? OK, we all feel he was too hasty in yanking Ubaldo from the game. There's really no reason to villify the guy. I'm not going to judge an umpire on one honest mistake in judgment. It's not like he acted like a jerk, or tossed a guy because he was overly sensitive about something that was said to him, or has a long history of making terrible calls. He was probably wrong in thinking Ubsldo threw at the guy intentionally, but making that mistake isn't the worst thing in the world, even though it sucked for us. Hopefully he learns from his mistake. I'm not holding any grudge against the guy.

Why should he? OK, we all feel he was too hasty in yanking Ubaldo from the game. There's really no reason to villify the guy. I'm not going to judge an umpire on one honest mistake in judgment. It's not like he acted like a jerk, or tossed a guy because he was overly sensitive about something that was said to him, or has a long history of making terrible calls. He was probably wrong in thinking Ubsldo threw at the guy intentionally, but making that mistake isn't the worst thing in the world, even though it sucked for us. Hopefully he learns from his mistake. I'm not holding any grudge against the guy.

Why should he?

Because his incompetent decision can easily have a carry over effect on a four game series.

I'm not saying he should get suspended for it but there should be some sort of official reprimand (that we won't know of) and this incident should count against him when it comes to award positions in the post season.

There should always be consequences for incompetence in the workplace.

Why should he?

Because his incompetent decision can easily have a carry over effect on a four game series.

I'm not saying he should get suspended for it but there should be some sort of official reprimand (that we won't know of) and this incident should count against him when it comes to award positions in the post season.

There should always be consequences for incompetence in the workplace.

Agreed. In the real world the bigger the mistake the bigger the punishment.

If you think the slide was going to cause problems later, warn the benches then. Not after you have already thrown Ubaldo out.

Archived