Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

Why should he? OK, we all feel he was too hasty in yanking Ubaldo from the game. There's really no reason to villify the guy. I'm not going to judge an umpire on one honest mistake in judgment. It's not like he acted like a jerk, or tossed a guy because he was overly sensitive about something that was said to him, or has a long history of making terrible calls. He was probably wrong in thinking Ubsldo threw at the guy intentionally, but making that mistake isn't the worst thing in the world, even though it sucked for us. Hopefully he learns from his mistake. I'm not holding any grudge against the guy.

I tapped, I talked, I conquered.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When was the last time a player was killed by a HBP.

As far as I know, Ray Chapman in 1920.

Although, a lot of players have been maimed by pitches (Tony Conigliaro, Dickie Thon, Kirby Puckett, Lou Boudreau, Mickey Cochrane, etc.)

When was the last time a player was injured by a slide?

The one that immediately comes to mind is when Nick Swisher broke Tsuyoshi Nishioka's leg with his "slide" in 2011.

Lots and lots of other times, also (besides the one that immediately comes to my mind.)

Who was the last batter killed? In majors or minors. Because it is a dangerous sport. As all the sports are. Because of the physical element to it.

I agree. Anyone that has ever put on a jock knows the dangers. If you can't handle it go find an easier sport like badminton. I don't think Ubaldo hit him on purpose but I do know that if any pitcher doesn't protect his teammates he won't be around long.

A slide might hurt someone's legs. A HBP can kill someone. I also don't think the slide was that egregious.

And even if it is a command issue, then Ubaldo is still a danger. He missed the plate by over a yard. Had Sandoval taken a slight step forward, the ball would have sailed behind him.

Acceptance of HBPs is a big problem with the game of baseball. Sport does contain an element of danger as weams said. But when the objecct of the game is put the ball over the plate and you can't get within a yard of said plate... you shouldn't be out there. For him to miss by as much as he did, he's either reckless for the well-being of player safety, or not competent in pitch control which might be even more dangerous.

His removal from the game was warranted.

kbc5hy9lwrri9n7nxrxz.gif

That doesn't look like an injury waiting to happen to you?

He is straight out trying to take out Schoop's rear leg.

A hitter has a chance to get out of the way, Schoop was completely at Sandoval's mercy there.

kbc5hy9lwrri9n7nxrxz.gif

That doesn't look like an injury waiting to happen to you?

He is straight out trying to take out Schoop's rear leg.

A hitter has a chance to get out of the way, Schoop was completely at Sandoval's mercy there.

Justify it all you want. Two wrongs don't make a right. Also, it's very easy to look at slow-mo here and say that it was intentional (it was). At that angle, it's for the ump to be able to clearly see it was intentional. A major league pitcher isn't going to miss his target by a yard. It's especially coincidental when this loss of control happens to be against the guy who committed a hard slide against one of your guys.

And I do think some of the more egregious slides should warrant ejection too. I think this one looks worse by the slow-mo aspect. No amount of slow-mo, normal motion, fast motion, etc can make Ubaldo's pitch look any different.

A slide might hurt someone's legs. A HBP can kill someone. I also don't think the slide was that egregious.

And even if it is a command issue, then Ubaldo is still a danger. He missed the plate by over a yard. Had Sandoval taken a slight step forward, the ball would have sailed behind him.

Acceptance of HBPs is a big problem with the game of baseball. Sport does contain an element of danger as weams said. But when the objecct of the game is put the ball over the plate and you can't get within a yard of said plate... you shouldn't be out there. For him to miss by as much as he did, he's either reckless for the well-being of player safety, or not competent in pitch control which might be even more dangerous.

Oh good grief. Com

Justify it all you want. Two wrongs don't make a right. Also, it's very easy to look at slow-mo here and say that it was intentional (it was). At that angle, it's for the ump to be able to clearly see it was intentional. A major league pitcher isn't going to miss his target by a yard. It's especially coincidental when this loss of control happens to be against the guy who committed a hard slide against one of your guys.

And I do think some of the more egregious slides should warrant ejection too. I think this one looks worse by the slow-mo aspect. No amount of slow-mo, normal motion, fast motion, etc can make Ubaldo's pitch look any different.

Orioles hitters have been hit seven times this season. All seven pitchers should have been ejected, right? Every time a hitter gets hit, the pitcher should be tossed. Is that what you're saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we should eject anyone that hits the ball back at the pitcher. I lost two teeth and was knocked out by a ball hit back to me while pitching. Guess should ban that.

No it wasn't. You are totally wrong on that part. IMO

I don't think either should have been ejected.

I just don't see how you think one action should deserve ejection and the other not.

Sandoval was obviously initiating contact with Schoop.

Even if you think that Jimenez was intentionally throwing at Sandoval the two cases should have been handled the same way.

As for major league pitchers "missing by a yard", it happens on an almost daily basis, just most don't end up as a HBP.

Later in the game, Kelly threw a ball that the catcher had to jump up and get. Missed his target by more than a yard. Toss him? He had been warned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubaldo should never have been ejected. Can I make this point any clearer? You and Jordan are the only people on the planet that think that he should have been.

Archived