Schoop to DL with Grade One PCL Tear (Out to AS Break?)

sportsfan8703

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not nearly as serious as Betemit's injury, we're told.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/589476406037479424

Not terribly reassuring considering the original report of Betimit's injury:

Wilson Betemit out 6-8 weeks

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Baltimore Orioles infielder Wilson Betemit estimates he'll be out for six-to-eight weeks because of a tear in his right knee.

Betemit was hurt Monday while running the bases in an exhibition game and had an MRI. He was diagnosed with a tear of the posterior cruciate ligament.

Betemit said Tuesday that he's glad he won't need surgery.

Our lineup looks worse and worse after each injury

We went from a guy with a .598 OPS last season to a guy with a .644 OPS last season. I think Schoop will be better long term but at this point Schoop to Flaherty isn't much of a downgrade.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck on Schoop: "I know more than I'm going to talk about here as far as worst-case scenario but we feel confident he'll be back this season</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know more than I'm going to talk about...

One of them has an OPS of 940 so far in this short season, while showing real progress in his ability to handle MLB pitching.

The other is Flaherty, whose 651 is right in line with his career average.

Over 29 plate appearances.

Last year from April 8th to April 19th Schoop had a 1034 OPS over 29 plate appearances. This is not unprecedented.

PCL tears make up less than 20% of injuries to knee ligaments. Injuries that tear the PCL often damage some of the other ligaments or cartilage in the knee, as well. In some cases, the ligament can also break loose a piece of underlying bone.

Web MD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• There have been 2-3 times when it seemed logical to call him up but they don’t.   I’ve never understood this thing they have for Baker.  Hey, Cole Irvin is available again!!
    • While we lost some talented players, I think the consensus was some of the players we lost were actually blocking more talented prospects. The loss of Westburg and Urias should have been mostly offset by Holliday and Mayo. Instead, they were truly abysmal.  Povich had some nice moments but he was disappointing as well.  Maybe our expectations were too high - Elias is not going to hit on every prospect, and even the ones that turn out good may take a while to adjust. Still, I think it is fair to have expected more out of Mayo and Holliday since the organization deemed them ready to promote.  In addition to the prospects, you had Adley hit a wall, going from a 6 WAR pace to replacement level, and Cowser and O'Hearn both struggling.  Certainly injuries hurt us, but we should have been strong enough to overcome them. Maybe not to sustain a 105 win pace but I think it is fair to say we should have been able to beat 95 wins and win the division even with the injuries.  
    • I was wondering what the knee-jerk reaction would be to an ugly game last night, but the truth is that the bullpen is fine, as is the rest of the team. We lack a true lockdown closer, but we have six arms by my count that are very good relievers in Akin, Perez, Coulombe, Webb, Cano, and Domingez. And you can add Suarez to that list next week, and possibly Povich, who should also make the PS roster as a lefty long relief option to mirror Suarez. Anyway, that game could have and would have gone much differently, IMO, if it were a playoff game. Burnes obviously stays in longer and gets at least through the top of the order if not back down to the bottom third to hand it over to the bullpen. Hopefully we'd be able to scratch out some runs, but that's not the bullpen's fault.  This is an extremely good team with a lead. Let's hope we get on the board early and often starting tonight.
    • Boy, Brandon Young who has some decent numbers at Norfolk must be injured or unimpressive to the front office to not even get a look for this bullpen. Bryan Baker is almost a waste of a call up.
    • Povich is off vs Detroit at least. Even if they carry a 9 man pen, Doubt that 5 will be left handers
    • I hate to say it because they are all eligible to succeed or fail ( DC just coming back ), would probally go with Soto.
  • Popular Contributors