High Pitch Counts; Short Outings

Bahama O's Fan

It seems to plaguing our pitchers again at the beginning of the season. Does something need to be adjusted in Spring Training?

I don't think spring training is going to help that much. Starters don't go that long in today's game anyway. And our starters don't have overpowering stuff. Guys who go deep in games, have the stuff that allows them to. We don't have a lot of starters who have a + offering that allows them to quickly put away guys when they are ahead. So it takes a lot of pitches. I don't think spring training can change that. You just have to go with it, and hope they give the team a chance for the innings they are in the game.

I don't think spring training is going to help that much. Starters don't go that long in today's game anyway. And our starters don't have overpowering stuff. Guys who go deep in games' date=' have the stuff that allows them to. We don't have a lot of starters who have a + offering that allows them to quickly put away guys when they are ahead. So it takes a lot of pitches. I don't think spring training can change that. You just have to go with it, and hope they give the team a chance for the innings they are in the game.[/quote']

I think the point of the OP is, the problem seems to be particularly acute early in the season, so maybe our team isn't preparing the starters properly in spring training. I'm not sure the premise is valid, however. Last year, the O's averaged 5.78 IP/start in April, and 5.89 IP/start for the year. That's a pretty minor difference. I don't know that you can say there is a yearly pattern of having short outings at the beginning of the season. That said, it certainly has been plaguing the team in 2015 so far:

Tillman 6.2

Chen 4.1

Gonzalez 5.2

Norris 3.0

Jimenez 7.0

Tillman 2.2

Chen 6.0

Gonzalez 7.0

Norris 5.0

Jimenez 3.2 (ejected)

Tillman 5.1

Gonzalez 5.0

Chen 4.1

Already five starts in 13 games under 5 IP, three of which were under 4 IP. Meanwhile, only four outings of 6+ IP. That's going to tax the bullpen big-time.

Tillman just isn't a high SO pitcher. We have been playing all AL east teams and it looks like the book is out on Norris and Chen. They aren't fooling anyone in the division. Once we get out of this early brutal stretch, I look for the Starters to go deeper into games.

I think the problem has been lack of command. So far this season, before today, Orioles' starters were striking out 8.2 per 9 innings (pretty good), but walking 4.1 per 9 innings (bad). Chen didn't help us today with his five walks, this from a guy who walked fewer than 2 per 9 last season.

Archived