Kiley McDaniel on Jason Garcia

weams

It's really pretty basic. The Orioles are a contending team and can not afford to carry a non-productive pitcher in their bullpen. Gracia will have to prove he can be effective or he will be gone. And that is putting A LOT of pressure on a kid who has never pitch above A ball.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Garcia as the mop up guy for the first 90 days of the season.

Then he will go to visit Ubaldo at his apartment and twist his ankle in a hole. He will be on the DL for July and August.

Around September 1st he will be activated.

This is the answer.

What has he got that Mike Wright, Oliver Drake, Branden Kline, Parker Bridwell, and Mychal Givens don't have? Unless he's throwing 96-100, the answer is nothing, except options. Plus those guys have the experience he doesn't have.

This 100%. You can throw Steve Johnson, Eddie Gamboa, and Tyler Wilson into that mix as well.

Old habits die hard. It was Rule V for years and years.

Is that true? Or were people simply not aware of the actual numbering convention in the governing CBA? I honestly don't know but it seems weird they would overhaul the document to utilize a different numbering system.

What has he got that Mike Wright, Oliver Drake, Branden Kline, Parker Bridwell, and Mychal Givens don't have? Unless he's throwing 96-100, the answer is nothing, except options. Plus those guys have the experience he doesn't have.

This is unquestionably all true. However, the Orioles have been participants in the Rule 5 draft in recent years and who have they returned? With that in mind, is Garcia at least as good as McFarland was when we picked him in the Rule 5? I'd say TJ had much better control, but other than that the team might be thinking they have something with far more potential upside than TJ if they can corral Garcia's command issues in the coming years.

This is unquestionably all true. However, the Orioles have been participants in the Rule 5 draft in recent years and who have they returned? With that in mind, is Garcia at least as good as McFarland was when we picked him in the Rule 5? I'd say TJ had much better control, but other than that the team might be thinking they have something with far more potential upside than TJ if they can corral Garcia's command issues in the coming years.

They returned Almanzar last year.

Archived