I hope Buck tries Lough as an everyday player

Spy Fox

Or, how about the fact he's now struck out 17 times mostly out of the lead off spot in the lineup and his OBP is abysmal.

Ugh....

I don't see Lough as the answer to our problems. However, he might be smart enough not to run into the 3rd out when he's already in scoring position.

Pretty shocked his 445 BABIP wasn't sustainable.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing DeAza hasn't endeared himself with Buck with his recent play and idiotic CS attempt tonight.

His bat isn't helping his cause to stay in the lineup. People found themselves enamored with him and his approach at the plate during the Tampa Bay series. But since then he's hitting .216, has drawn 1 walk, and isn't getting on base at all. He has a long swing that is painful to watch. The alternatives are great, and lots of guys struggle to start the season so hopefully this is just a phase. But I'm not enamored with De Aza right now.

At least De Aza was on the base paths. Though that CS truly was stupid, and it killed a rally. But I have serious doubts that Lough would have even gotten onto the base paths.

Lough and de Aza's offensive numbers are practically the same?

So de Aza was benched for a single game... Lough had an OBP of .400 and was prompted put back on the bench for de Aza... I just don't get it.

You know my hate for Lough, but it is puzzling. Hard to get going after one game. My guess is this.

1. Lough had 2 mental lapses in that game defensively-his only strong suite: threw to 3rd and allowed a runner to get to 2nd.

2. He hit the ball in the air the first 2 times. Willie Mays Hays. Even Jim Hunter called it stupid. That is bad.

3. He isn't very good offensively. Buck knows it. The birds know it, my dead goldfish knows it.

You know my hate for Lough, but it is puzzling. Hard to get going after one game. My guess is this.

1. Lough had 2 mental lapses in that game defensively-his only strong suite: threw to 3rd and allowed a runner to get to 2nd.

2. He hit the ball in the air the first 2 times. Willie Mays Hays. Even Jim Hunter called it stupid. That is bad.

3. He isn't very good offensively. Buck knows it. The birds know it, my dead goldfish knows it.

These are some good points. But give him a few games before sending back to the bench.. his replacement de Aza has an OBP of .255 and is not running or defending well at all. To your point, Lough did not endear himself defensively that game, though he's gotta be given a chance to shake some rust off.

If Lough can get hit by a pitch every game then I am for keeping him in the lineup.

I believe he was close to working a walk on that sequence as was. If memory serves. Regardless, it doesn't really address my point- why not give him a few games over the .255 OBP and defensive liability?

I believe he was close to working a walk on that sequence as was. If memory serves. Regardless, it doesn't really address my point- why not give him a few games over the .255 OBP and defensive liability?

Do we have a sample size yet to determine anything? Or is it all statistical noise?

Archived