What would you trade for Josh Hamilton?

isestrex

Salary, and the completely off-the-charts risk assessment. And age. And declining performance.

I believe he would be the oldest regular on the os. Maybe oldest on the 25. To be clear it's a moot point with him apparently headed to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm reading a deal to send Hamilton to the Ranger is almost complete. I'm reading Texas is going to pay 15 million for him over the next 3 years. God, I would love to have him for this price. I'm not sure what Texas is sending but it cannot be much.

Most posters on here think not spending money means it will be spent in other places, we all know that isn't true. Just look at what we spend on the international market.

Not saying we should sign everyone (not signing Nick was probably a good move, sadly because I loved Nick).

I am just making the point that when we don't spend X, it doesn't mean it is going to be spent elsewhere. It may just be pocketed. Angelos is absurdly rich, he can afford a bloated payroll just like Father Steinbrenner.

I would have rolled the dice for Hamilton for $15 million. We paid Ubaldo $10 mil for garbage time last year. Perspective. If it didn't work, no biggie really.

We aren't signing MW, Chen or Davis next year. Book it. I pray we sign Tillman but the Orioles just keep waiting (for what, I have no idea, he should have been signed before last year to an extension). Where is this $ going?

Most posters on here think not spending money means it will be spent in other places, we all know that isn't true. Just look at what we spend on the international market.

Not saying we should sign everyone (not signing Nick was probably a good move, sadly because I loved Nick).

I am just making the point that when we don't spend X, it doesn't mean it is going to be spent elsewhere. It may just be pocketed. Angelos is absurdly rich, he can afford a bloated payroll just like Father Steinbrenner.

I would have rolled the dice for Hamilton for $15 million. We paid Ubaldo $10 mil for garbage time last year. Perspective. If it didn't work, no biggie really.

We aren't signing MW, Chen or Davis next year. Book it. I pray we sign Tillman but the Orioles just keep waiting (for what, I have no idea, he should have been signed before last year to an extension). Where is this $ going?

I never understood the idea that the Orioles should take on risky/stupid contracts because otherwise it just goes into Angelos' pockets. No matter where the money would otherwise go you're still advocating the O's sign players for a lot of money who are probably going to fail. How does that help anyone?

The Yankees have had a payroll in excess of 200 million for the last decade (40 man).

You honestly think the Angelos family can afford that? Over two billion in a decade?

Have you have read the pieces about the layoffs and struggles of the law firm?

You are the master of taking things out of context.

I didn't say the payroll as the Yankees. I said LIKE Father Steinbrenner, meaning we can spend more since the family has it. Not that we are going to spend like the Yankees or Dodgers.

Regardless-$15 million on a gamble like Hamilton makes all the sense in the world. IT isn't that much, so your post whining about we aren't the Yankees isn't even relevant.

I never understood the idea that the Orioles should take on risky/stupid contracts because otherwise it just goes into Angelos' pockets. No matter where the money would otherwise go you're still advocating the O's sign players for a lot of money who are probably going to fail. How does that help anyone?

So you honestly think $15 million gamble on one of the best players in the game 2 years ago is risky/stupid? I don't. We let Cruz walk and never replaced his offense. I think that IS stupid.

You are the master of taking things out of context.

I didn't say the payroll as the Yankees. I said LIKE Father Steinbrenner, meaning we can spend more since the family has it. Not that we are going to spend like the Yankees or Dodgers.

Regardless-$15 million on a gamble like Hamilton makes all the sense in the world. IT isn't that much, so your post whining about we aren't the Yankees isn't even relevant.

You need to be more clear then. I read what you wrote to mean you thought the O's could support a Yankee level of spending.

Question for you. If Angelos is making such vast profits off the O's then why is he still showing up at the same spot on the billionaire lists? If he is pocketing 50 million a year where is it going?

Helps that they are probably collecting insurance on Darvish

I thought insurance coverage on the higher dollar players was mostly diminished these days....

Hamilton was/is one of the non Orioles I really like to root for. I hope the deal goes through and he has some kind of turn around and does well there again. But quite glad we did not take a risk on him.

That is just a dumb thing to say. I've been there and have not touched any of it for 16 years. It all depends on the person, and how committed they are to changing their lives. Unfortunately for celebrities they always have people making excuses for them. It's hard to hit a point where change is necessary when you have an almost limitless amount of money.
As I posted elsewhere, I've also been there. I have been clean and sober for 33 years. I will always remember the day when the pain got to be too much and the booze and drugs stopped working, and I had to seek help. Today, I go to games, there is a lot of beer around. I say a little prayer and then I can sip Diet Coke during the game and go just as crazy as any other fan. :)

I am sure that there are players who are clean and sober and in recovery. But most of them keep their anonymity because that is a part of recovery.

So you honestly think $15 million gamble on one of the best players in the game 2 years ago is risky/stupid? I don't. We let Cruz walk and never replaced his offense. I think that IS stupid.

There's a world of difference between two years ago and today. Hamilton hasn't been remotely as good for years.

Archived