Is it too early to be worried about the starting pitching as a whole?

calmunderfire

When you're a team who has constantly outperformed their pitching peripherals, its going to come back and bite you in the ass eventually. We could finally be seeing the balancing out now, especially with so many defensive injuries.

I was about to make the same point. Four of our five starters (Norris, Tillman, Chen, and Gonzalez) probably have close to replacement-level stuff, but have gotten above replacement-level results out of it the past few years. Much of that is to their credit, but we could see their shortcomings magnified this year especially with Boston and Toronto's lineups upgraded and the Yanks still being a dangerous hitting team at times. Jimenez has high quality stuff but is erratic, and Gausman of course is still green.

Crazy thought: what are the chances that Britton gets stretched out to be a starter? I think things might have to get really bad for it to come to that, but I wouldn't mind seeing it if the SP struggles continue for a couple months. I'd hate for him to become another BJ Ryan or Koji Uehara -- great reliever on a losing team who is clearly the best pitcher on the staff. If the delta between a team's closer and the rest of the pitching becomes wide enough, ironically the closer's role ceases to be meaningful because the team won't get many save situations to begin with.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't get burned. He deserved those runs. He pitched like crap and that wasn't an error.

I disagree. I don't think a ball should have to hit the fielders glove for it to count as an error.

I think the play should have been made with ordinary effort.

If a ground ball goes through a fielder's legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer's judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error.

If someone wants to pull up the play I will give it another look.

I was about to make the same point. Four of our five starters (Norris, Tillman, Chen, and Gonzalez) probably have close to replacement-level stuff, but have gotten above replacement-level results out of it the past few years. Much of that is to their credit, but we could see their shortcomings magnified this year especially with Boston and Toronto's lineups upgraded and the Yanks still being a dangerous hitting team at times. Jimenez has high quality stuff but is erratic, and Gausman of course is still green.

Crazy thought: what are the chances that Britton gets stretched out to be a starter? I think things might have to get really bad for it to come to that, but I wouldn't mind seeing it if the SP struggles continue for a couple months. I'd hate for him to become another BJ Ryan or Koji Uehara -- great reliever on a losing team who is clearly the best pitcher on the staff. If the delta between a team's closer and the rest of the pitching becomes wide enough, ironically the closer's role ceases to be meaningful because the team won't get many save situations to begin with.

Britton won't be moved out of his role this year, and I'm doubting ever during the remainder of his O's tenure. I'd love to see him starting in 2016 though. A LHP with a devastating sinker would be tremendously valuable.

Norris has to be given at least another two to three starts to right the ship. He will likely be given more than that. I can see him continuing to struggle and not getting removed from the rotation until well into May.

:agree: too but that leash gets shorter with each start

Let's talk reality. Outfielders don't get errors on balls like that. Nick Markakis had something like zero errors last year. Do you think he didn't misjudge one ball all year that he could have caught with a good break? The rule might say one thing. Reality says another.

Then why call it an error in the first place?

BTW I despise the whole, let's forget about what the rules actually are business.

Just because it is done incorrectly 95 times out of 100 doesn't make the other 5 the mistake. If they don't want it to be an error, change the rule.

It was a mistake to call it an error at the time and I said so. If you want to argue enforcing the rules the way they are written that's another argument. Everyone knows that a play like that is never called an error and that there are much worse plays in the outfield that are not called errors.

In this case that play is ruled a hit 100 out of 100 times. Yes, ruling it an error on the 101th time is a mistake. You, being you, will not back down on this I'm sure.

So if everyone else is doing the wrong thing, you should do the wrong thing because the wrong thing, not the right thing, is now the right thing?

Archived