Chris Rock on why MLB is so "un-black"

Chavez Ravine

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLB needs to fix the age of fans problem first. That's what's more alarming than anything. With that fix you will get young fans of all shades.

I hear this a lot. But, serious question, what do you think they can do to fix that?

I hear this a lot. But, serious question, what do you think they can do to fix that?

I am 19 and watch 90% of the O's games. I don't know any of my college friends who watch their favorite teams constantly but I do know a few that know a lot about the sport and we actually talked about this a couple nights ago. My two friends basically said they need to let them duke it out on the field and they need more show boating.

Pace of play is the biggest one, in my opinion. My generation has a hard time sitting down and committing 3 hours to watch people throw a ball around so if they can cut that down to 2 1/2 hours, it might help. I personally like the 3 hour block.

Now I don't really want these changes. I hated when Bautista showed the Orioles up but I do enjoy it when it happens in a game where I don't really care for either teams. It's just close to impossible to stop pitchers at throwing at players who disrespect them and there is no way they are going to let a 50 man brawl happen.

I am 19 and watch 90% of the O's games. I don't know any of my college friends who watch their favorite teams constantly but I do know a few that know a lot about the sport and we actually talked about this a couple nights ago. My two friends basically said they need to let them duke it out on the field and they need more show boating.

Pace of play is the biggest one, in my opinion. My generation has a hard time sitting down and committing 3 hours to watch people throw a ball around so if they can cut that down to 2 1/2 hours, it might help. I personally like the 3 hour block.

Now I don't really want these changes. I hated when Bautista showed the Orioles up but I do enjoy it when it happens in a game where I don't really care for either teams. It's just close to impossible to stop pitchers at throwing at players who disrespect them and there is no way they are going to let a 50 man brawl happen.

So how does football get away with it?

RIquo3L.png

RIquo3L.png

I have to agree with the other posters. Much easier to sit down and be able to watch a whole season of a sport where there are only 16 games on Sunday afternoons. For baseball, 16 games is only around 2 1/2 weeks of play. Also, football has the huge hits, 1-handed catches, and jukes. I think the violence factor plays a huge part of it.

I think making each game worth more would help. 162 games is a long season. At 3 hours each, that's a little more than 20 days a season just sitting and watching baseball. Maybe cutting the season in half would increase viewership but that would be difficult to put in action.

I have to agree with the other posters. Much easier to sit down and be able to watch a whole season of a sport where there are only 16 games on Sunday afternoons. For baseball, 16 games is only around 2 1/2 weeks of play. Also, football has the huge hits, 1-handed catches, and jukes. I think the violence factor plays a huge part of it.

I think making each game worth more would help. 162 games is a long season. At 3 hours each, that's a little more than 20 days a season just sitting and watching baseball. Maybe cutting the season in half would increase viewership but that would be difficult to put in action.

What a horrendous thing to suggest.

RIquo3L.png

I also think fantasy football plays a roll in it. I know all my friends and I are very intense into it because you can watch your players and hope they score you a lot of points. Fantasy baseball is a lot different, it's based solely on at bats and I'm not going spend 3 hours to watch Altuve to get 3 AB's just to marginally help my fantasy team. I only know one other person who plays fantasy baseball every season.

I also think fantasy football plays a roll in it. I know all my friends and I are very intense into it because you can watch your players and hope they score you a lot of points. Fantasy baseball is a lot different, it's based solely on at bats and I'm not going spend 3 hours to watch Altuve to get 3 AB's just to marginally help my fantasy team. I only know one other person who plays fantasy baseball every season.

Fantasy football plays a huge part in it. As does gambling. It is a lot easier to gamble on football then baseball.

Hopefully this single day season baseball stuff takes off and helps draw in eyes.

Archived