Chris Rock on why MLB is so "un-black"

Chavez Ravine

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are already way too many days in the year without baseball.

I agree. I count down the days until Opening Day and hate off days. I'm not talking about keeping people to watch; I'm talking about acquiring new customers. Without a doubt, if there were 16 games in a season and they played at 1pm on Sundays. Most people would watch the games and probably sell out every game. Now I know that will never happen due to revenue lost and many other factors but it's the truth.

What kind of reaction were you expecting on a site like this?

I understand it would rage people if they cut it in half, I wouldn't be happy either. This thread is about acquiring new customers, which needs to be aimed at my generation. They have to adjust eventually. With an average viewer age of 55, what happens in 30-40 years?

I understand it would rage people if they cut it in half, I wouldn't be happy either. This thread is about acquiring new customers, which needs to be aimed at my generation. They have to adjust eventually. With an average viewer age of 55, what happens in 30-40 years?

How about we check and see what the average viewer age was 30 years ago?

My guess is it was a lot closer to 55 then 25.

How about we check and see what the average viewer age was 30 years ago?

My guess is it was a lot closer to 55 then 25.

MLB needs to fix the age of fans problem first. That's what's more alarming than anything. With that fix you will get young fans of all shades.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-04-01/fixing-baseballs-old-people-problem-with-merchandise-highlights

In the article he linked. It says over the last 5 years, the average viewer age has increased by 1 year every year. That means they haven't gotten any new viewers in the last 5 years that weren't out of the 55 age group

I agree. I count down the days until Opening Day and hate off days. I'm not talking about keeping people to watch; I'm talking about acquiring new customers. Without a doubt, if there were 16 games in a season and they played at 1pm on Sundays. Most people would watch the games and probably sell out every game. Now I know that will never happen due to revenue lost and many other factors but it's the truth.

MLB's revenues are something like 90% of the NFL's. What are we trying to radically restructure to fix?

I don't deny that MLB's fanbase skews old. But maybe we wait until revenues are actually showing signs of being in trouble before trying to figure out what kids these days think is groovy and hep and all.

Obviously an older demographic is going to have more money than a bunch of 20 year olds which is fine for MLB because their viewers will have more money to spend. But you don't think the fact that World Series viewership has dropped significantly is a problem? At college, I can have 50 people over to watch the Super Bowl but get yelled at by my roommates when I turn on the World Series.

Obviously an older demographic is going to have more money than a bunch of 20 year olds which is fine for MLB because their viewers will have more money to spend. But you don't think the fact that World Series viewership has dropped significantly is a problem? At college, I can have 50 people over to watch the Super Bowl but get yelled at by my roommates when I turn on the World Series.

Hasn't tv viewership dropped pretty much across the board?

Archived