No PH for Lavarnway

Bahama O's Fan

Was I the only one shocked to see him bat?

I was cursing at the TV as soon as I saw him step into the batter's box and didn't stop until about 15 minutes later.

However, I wasn't shocked. Buck doesn't like pinch hitting for the catcher, and in early season games he's rather give a player a chance to make a play than assume that he can't.

I don't agree with Buck on either count--I think you have to try to win each game, and I don't think you can let your second string catcher with an .083 batting average and a lousy track record as a major league hitter make the last out of a one-run game if you have any other options.

I was cursing at the TV as soon as I saw him step into the batter's box and didn't stop until about 15 minutes later.

However, I wasn't shocked. Buck doesn't like pinch hitting for the catcher, and in early season games he's rather give a player a chance to make a play than assume that he can't.

I don't agree with Buck on either count--I think you have to try to win each game, and I don't think you can let your second string catcher with an .083 batting average and a lousy track record as a major league hitter make the last out of a one-run game if you have any other options.

Well stated, couldn't agree more.

His refusal to pinch hit for guys in the final inning is far and away his biggest flaw as a manager. Always has been and looks like it always will be.

9/10 managers in baseball pinch hit right there. And no, it doesn't make buck smarter than everyone else because he is playing a "long game", it's just bad managing under the guise of being a "players manager". That's my 2 cent anyways.

No shocked but a little surprised. Buck wanted a homer. Lavarnway's got homerun power.

I agree. Better chance of Lavarnway hitting it than Joseph or DeAza.

Lavarnway got ahold of one his previous at bat but hit it right to the left fielder. I was okay with the AB.

Well stated, couldn't agree more.

His refusal to pinch hit for guys in the final inning is far and away his biggest flaw as a manager. Always has been and looks like it always will be.

He has used a pinch-hitter in the ninth inning in each of the last two games.

In both cases, Buck pinch-hit for Everth Cabrera in the ninth, while letting the catcher bat for himself. There's probably not a lot of difference between the two, but given a choice, I'd rather let Cabrera bat for himself (especially against a right-handed pitcher) and used a pinch-hitter for Joseph/Lavarnway.

Buck doesn't like to PH for the catcher most times. Deal with it.

If this is true, it doesn't make sense. He can easily bring in another catcher after he PHs for the first one. And yet he pinch-hit for Cabrera when there were no healthy middle infielders remaining on the roster. If the O's had tied the game in the ninth, who would've played SS for the rest of the game?

Who knows. I like the theory that Lavarnway had the most power and was due for a hit. The way things were going he'd have hit a no doubter and the Rogers Center AC would have come on and blown it back to an outfielder. I mean, Steve Pearce should have had at least a double before Lavarnway even got to the plate. Nothing was going right.

Yep. We stung quite a few balls throughout the game that just didn't fall in, Lavarnway included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is true, it doesn't make sense. He can easily bring in another catcher after he PHs for the first one. And yet he pinch-hit for Cabrera when there were no healthy middle infielders remaining on the roster. If the O's had tied the game in the ninth, who would've played SS for the rest of the game?

Jonsey, of course.

Archived