2015 Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet

Can_of_corn

4. Drew Dosch, 3b, Orioles

Team: high Class A Frederick (Carolina)

Why He's Here: .522/.593/.870 (12-for-23), 5 R, 3 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 11 RBIs, 4 BB, 1 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Don't overlook Dosch just because he's a touch old for a prospect in high Class A. He has a short, fluid swing that stays in the hitting zone and manages his at-bats well with good plate discipline. The power still needs to come and his defense is below-average, but his lefthanded bat and ability to get on base are for real.

• 2 months later...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-june-26-mckinney-claims-top-spot/

4. Trey Mancini, 1b, Orioles

Team: Double-A Bowie (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: .455/.500/.818 (10-for-22), 6 R, 2 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: The terrain for the righthanded-hitting first-base prospect can be treacherous, so all they can do is produce with the bat, especially in the power department. Mancini, an eighth-round pick from Notre Dame in 2013, has done just that this season to earn a promotion from high Class A Frederick—where he led the Carolina League with a .527 slugging percentage—to Bowie. Through his first 18 games in the Eastern League, he’s hitting .369 with 12 extra-base hits.

18. Dariel Alvarez, cf, Orioles

Team: Triple-A Norfolk (International)

Why He’s Here: .393/.393/.643 (11-for-28), 4 R, 4 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 0 BB, 5 SO

The Scoop: Alvarez is having the best month of his career, batting .385/.406/.648 after finishing May with a .239 average and little power. Most likely, though, this is just a hot stretch for Alvarez, who should get a sip of major league coffee at some point but lacks the hitting ability to stay there in a prolonged role.

I think RZNJ may be writing for BA. That Alvarez review sounds almost exactly like him! lol

You know how I have posted this stuff weekly, since Wieters was in the minors?

I've checked every week this season for Oriole farmhands.

This has been it. And they increased the players listed to 20 a week this season.

• 3 weeks later...

12. Chance Sisco, c, Orioles

Team: high Class A Frederick (Carolina)

Why He’s Here: .421/.500/.632 (8-for-19), 3 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 BB, 2 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Sisco got off to a poor start, which was partially the fault of an oblique strain, but that’s a distant memory now that Sisco’s line-drive stroke has returned to form. The converted shortstop has even shown some strides in blocking and receiving as he tries to prove he can stick at catcher.

"Mauer with even less power". I'm glad Sisco is healthy again. He deserves to show up on some top 100 prospect lists this offseason. It would be nice to bump him up to Bowie for a bit so he can play in the AFL and make up some of that playing time he missed.

I'd rather go more slowly with him. He's having a solid year, but I wouldn't say he's setting the world on fire offensively. Next year at Bowie is soon enough for me. He'll probably be invited to Fall instructs to work on his catching or to try another position, I'd think.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-june-26-mckinney-claims-top-spot/

4. Trey Mancini, 1b, Orioles

18. Dariel Alvarez, cf, Orioles

Many like to count Alvarez out as a fringe player. He did take months to adjust to AAA pitching but he looks like he has made that adjustment. He probably still has a least 6 weeks to show he can be a consistent hitter at that level. I would think the same adjustment period would be required in the majors. However that doesn't mean he can't be productive. I don't think we know if he can make the jump to the majors but I think he will get the chance at some point.

Many like to count Alvarez out as a fringe player. He did take months to adjust to AAA pitching but he looks like he has made that adjustment. He probably still has a least 6 weeks to show he can be a consistent hitter at that level. I would think the same adjustment period would be required in the majors. However that doesn't mean he can't be productive. I don't think we know if he can make the jump to the majors but I think he will get the chance at some point.

I hope that Alvarez is a productive ML player, but I have to admire your tenacity in promoting him!:)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-july-24/

3. Christian Walker, 1b, Orioles

Team: Triple-A Norfolk (International)

Why He’s Here: .355/.412/.839 (11-for-31), 7 R, 3 2B, 4 HR, 11 RBIs, 2 BB, 7 SO, 0-for-0 SB

The Scoop: Walker has carried a torrid June (.337/.411/.480) into July. The righthanded hitter spent a game with the major league club, but was most recently sent down on July 8. One scout noted that Walker’s approach has changed from last season as he—early in the season—pressed to hit for power in the spacious Harbor Park.

8. Trey Mancini, 1b, Orioles

Why He’s Here: .355/.375/.548 (11-for-31), 5 R, 3 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 BB, 6 SO, 0-for-0 SB

The Scoop: The Notre Dame alum’s hit tool is ahead of his power, according to scouts, but he’s blasted 15 long balls this season already at high Class A and now Double A. He remains aggressive at the plate so he’ll never walk much, meaning his on-base ability will be tied to his average.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-aug-14/

7. Trey Mancini, 1b, Orioles

Why He’s Here: .464/.500/.750 (13-for-28), 6 R, 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 BB, 2 SO

A right/right first baseman and eighth-round senior pick from Notre Dame, Mancini had the deck stacked against him in terms of getting noticed in pro ball. A loud 2015 season in which he’s hitting .367/.400/.586 with nine homers in 60 games at Double-A might be changing opinions for some evaluators. Mancini ranks fifth in the minor league batting race at .342 and ninth in slugging at .559.

I don't know anything about prospect evaluating, but I'm pretty wary of getting excited about numbers after being convinced Mahoney was going to be a major leaguer. He also had a very good age 23 year in A+/AA in 2010. I remember referring to Wieters and Mahoney as "the Twin Towers" and I guess I was right, in the worst way possible.

I don't know anything about prospect evaluating, but I'm pretty wary of getting excited about numbers after being convinced Mahoney was going to be a major leaguer. He also had a very good age 23 year in A+/AA in 2010. I remember referring to Wieters and Mahoney as "the Twin Towers" and I guess I was right, in the worst way possible.

I think Mancini is a much better prospect than Mahoney, who struggled a lot before having that one great year. I guess we'll see.

Archived