Not signing Miler and Cruz is going to haunt this team and it's fans for years to come......

islandecho

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have liked to sign Chase Headley. Solid defensive 3B with good offensive upside, younger than JJ and ended up signing a fairly reasonable contract.

I think the JJ contract is a good one though, so I'm not complaining about keeping him.

That sounds about right. I agree.

I would have liked to sign Chase Headley. Solid defensive 3B with good offensive upside, younger than JJ and ended up signing a fairly reasonable contract.

I think the JJ contract is a good one though, so I'm not complaining about keeping him.

I don't care for Headley. I don't think it will work out well.

I don't know why we even discuss it anymore. Talk about complaining about stuff that can't be changed. The man has owned the team for over 20 years and he has been clear about his financial plan for the team for at least a decade. I guess people just like whining and being miserable.

Or making other people miserable. And feel that their life is meaningless.

Many people would like to have the debate on what amount of payroll would be adequate to return the investors 5% annually and funnel the rest into product. We don't and can' know enough to put that in real terms and it is not realistic (There I used the word). No Major sports owner wants to be limited to the growth of valuation of his equity.

There was long ago a divide that occurred (when the Orioles were run poorly) by folks who wanted to pocket protest the team of their youth as adults by decrying the Angelos regime and withholding their financial support. That war, like the war between the states, is over. And we know which side won here as well.

This is a good way to look at it.

Right now the team is valued at ~1 billion. If someone were to buy the team for that sum and wanted a 5% ROI then they would be pulling 50 million a year out of the team. Five percent isn't a huge ROI when you are talking such a substantial outlay of capital.

So why should anyone begrudge Angelos for pulling a 3.2% profit margin?

Apple is pulling in around a 38% profit margin, why not complain about them?

This is a good way to look at it.

Right now the team is valued at ~1 billion. If someone were to buy the team for that sum and wanted a 5% ROI then they would be pulling 50 million a year out of the team. Five percent isn't a huge ROI when you are talking such a substantial outlay of capital.

So why should anyone begrudge Angelos for pulling a 3.2% profit margin?

Apple is pulling in around a 38% profit margin, why not complain about them?

Thank you. I think it really is. It's how finance in the billions actually works.

Archived