The DH is Here to Stay And Maybe There too.

weams

I welcome that with open arms. There will be more scoring - but not so much that we revert to the steroid/juiced ball era - and the game will be more exciting.

It's such a joke that an NL starting pitcher can rely on striking out or getting a near-automatic out from the pitcher whenever they get into trouble near the bottom of the lineup during the first few innings of the game. It's awful baseball.

It's such awful baseball that they won the World Series. I think it's fine the way

both leagues do it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the DH rule came in, I have thought the dumbest thing in all of sports is having different rules for different leagues. It would not be so bad if the two leagues never played each other. So IMO make both leagues play by the same rules. I will let others argue till the cows come home about whether or not to have the DH rule.

Since the DH rule came in, I have thought the dumbest thing in all of sports is having different rules for different leagues. It would not be so bad if the two leagues never played each other. So IMO make both leagues play by the same rules. I will let others argue till the cows come home about whether or not to have the DH rule.

This is an especially good point since there is so much interleague play. The American league is at a clear disadvantage when they play in a National League team's home park. Overall, I really don't see the point in watching the futility of a pitcher making a plate appearance.

It's such awful baseball that they won the World Series. I think it's fine the way

both leagues do it.

An NL team winning the last World Series has nothing to do with pitchers hitting being bad for the game.

If it was such a good thing, then why did MLB institute the rule in 2010 for the All-Star Game that both leagues must use the DH?

There are many reasons why it is very likely that the DH will be added to the NL in the near future.

This is an especially good point since there is so much interleague play. The American league is at a clear disadvantage when they play in a National League team's home park. Overall, I really don't see the point in watching the futility of a pitcher making a plate appearance.

I'm more worried about the advantage National League teams have in courting free agent pitchers.

o

I wonder if that would actually make the game longer, and not shorter.

The lineup would turn over more often, and the guys at the top of the order (usually the best offensive players on the team) would get more plate appearances.

The tough thing is that Manfred wants to shorten games AND increase scoring. The NL will have a DH next year.

I absolutely despise pitchers hitting in the NL. It's the one rule I hate the most.

The DH is coming to the National League in the near future. The game will be better as a result.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2015-03-10/national-league-dh-designated-hitter-tony-clark-rob-manfred-david-ortiz-red-sox-jon-lester-cubs

I seem to be in the minority on this topic. I don't like the DH, though I've gotten used to it in the American League. But I enjoy National League games where pitchers do hit. Once in a while, a pitcher will help his cause with a timely hit. And then there is Madison Baumgarner, a pitcher who can hit. He set a record about pitchers hitting home runs, but I forget what it is. I suppose that, with a DH in the National League, Baumgarner could be his own DH if he chose to do so. Call me an old traditionalist, but I'm not completely happy with the DH. If it's going to happen in the National League, then so be it. I'll learn to accept it.

Well, they have only had that advantage for about forty years.

Look at it this way, if the NL adopts the DH you can stop worrying.

Oh I'm not particularly worried about it.

Just more then I am about the competitive advantage the NL has because their pitchers get more reps in the batter's box.

Archived