Offseason 2015/2016

Bahama O's Fan

What Will We Do With Our Money Next Offseason?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Will We Do With Our Money Next Offseason?

• Put it in Angelos' pocket
    • Spend it on hitting
    • Spend it on pitching
    • Other

Other than RZNJ, no serious answers? This is a good topic and something the fans want to know. Chen is gone. MW is gone (he better be because he isn't worth it). Davis is most likely gone.

They need to lock up Tillman, like yesterday. That is starting to worry me, but hopefully it gets done.

Where is this money going?

I think penciling in Bundy is VERY premature. I am not confident there. Hope I am wrong. I wouldn't count on him, too much to prove before now and then.

I think DD will be gone. He wants to go to Toronto clearly and that will be resolved, one way or the other.

So where does the money go? Good question.

I think money will absolutely be spent. The question is just whether it is spent on our own players or on other FA's. I think we are already deep in pitching with the major league rotation and the arms we have coming up in AAA/AA. Unfortunately the SP class is a lot deeper for 16 than the bats that are available. We will likely need a 1B and a corner OFer.

There will be posters here who will tell you Daniel Alvarez and Christian Walker can step in as starters, but I am highly sceptical of their ability to be quality Major League starters.

Other than RZNJ, no serious answers? This is a good topic and something the fans want to know. Chen is gone. MW is gone (he better be because he isn't worth it). Davis is most likely gone.

They need to lock up Tillman, like yesterday. That is starting to worry me, but hopefully it gets done.

Where is this money going?

I think penciling in Bundy is VERY premature. I am not confident there. Hope I am wrong. I wouldn't count on him, too much to prove before now and then.

I think DD will be gone. He wants to go to Toronto clearly and that will be resolved, one way or the other.

So where does the money go? Good question.

How can there really be any serious answers? No one will be remotely right. And a lot of staffing decisions are based on how many people perform this year.

As for Bundy, he may not be in the rotation but he will be on the team. Out of options.

1B ?

2B Schoop

SS Hardy

3B Machado

C Joseph

LF Snider

CF Jones

RF ??

DH Paredes

Bench - catcher - Flaherty - Navarro - outfielder

I can see this team resigning Pearce if he has a decent season for 1B next year. RF is a potential FA acquisition but knowing the O's it will be some kind of platoon of Delmon Young/David Lough/Dariel Alvarez/

Pitching

1. Tillman

2. Jimenez

3. Gonzalez

4. Gausman

5. Bundy

Bullpen

1. Britton

2. Mike Wright

3. Mychal Givens

4. Cesar Cabral

5. Brad Brach

6. Steve Johnson

7. T.J. McFarland

There should be a lot of turn over on the pitching staff. The O's could certainly resign O'Day but I doubt it. I don't expect Hunter or Matusz to return either. Other possibilities for the bullpen include Oliver Drake, Tyler Wilson and Ben Rowen. Some of these guys might get the call this year but next year should be almost a total makeover in the bullpen.

The big question, IMO, will be whether the O's trust Dylan Bundy with the #5 spot in the rotation or start him in the bullpen and go another direction on the 5th spot. I could see them signing a veteran type (on the cheap of course) for that spot. There will be money to spend. The opportunity to spend big will be in 3 areas.

1. TOR starter (unlikely).

2. Shut down reliever (unlikely)

3. Middle of the order bat for RF or 1B (maybe)

I wouldn't be against that bullpen but I know that that bullpen will never happen. I am sure there will be some FA addition for the bullpen, be it a non tender from someone else.

I would have tried locking up Pearce before the season started. 3/15M for sure or gamble as much as 3/21M. Davis will either be unaffordable or we won't want him back.

You are probably right about Davis. The way Joseph has been looking I don't think they will want Wieters back either.

Taking a quick look at the free agent list: Justin Upton, Denard Span, Alex Gordon, Dexter Fowler, and Jason Heyward are the only attractive names to me. With 50 mil of budget space there is no reason we can't make a run at any of the top guys. Upton is going to be priciest guy on this list, but also the most attractive because the difference between what he will cost and a player like Gordon and Heyward isn't enough to not go all in on Upton. I can see Upton going for somewhere in the 6 to 7 year for 120 to 150 million range. Heyward for slightly less and Gordon for big money but less years. But like I said, we will have the space and then some.

Although I think we'd have a shot at Upton, we probably lose in a bidding war to the Yankees or Red Sox. Span or Fowler appear like Buck guys to me and will sure up the OF defense.

1B ?

2B Schoop

SS Hardy

3B Machado

C Joseph

LF Snider

CF Jones

RF ??

DH Paredes

Bench - catcher - Flaherty - Navarro - outfielder

I can see this team resigning Pearce if he has a decent season for 1B next year. RF is a potential FA acquisition but knowing the O's it will be some kind of platoon of Delmon Young/David Lough/Dariel Alvarez/

Pitching

1. Tillman

2. Jimenez

3. Gonzalez

4. Gausman

5. Bundy

Bullpen

1. Britton

2. Mike Wright

3. Mychal Givens

4. Cesar Cabral

5. Brad Brach

6. Steve Johnson

7. T.J. McFarland

There should be a lot of turn over on the pitching staff. The O's could certainly resign O'Day but I doubt it. I don't expect Hunter or Matusz to return either. Other possibilities for the bullpen include Oliver Drake, Tyler Wilson and Ben Rowen. Some of these guys might get the call this year but next year should be almost a total makeover in the bullpen.

The big question, IMO, will be whether the O's trust Dylan Bundy with the #5 spot in the rotation or start him in the bullpen and go another direction on the 5th spot. I could see them signing a veteran type (on the cheap of course) for that spot. There will be money to spend. The opportunity to spend big will be in 3 areas.

1. TOR starter (unlikely).

2. Shut down reliever (unlikely)

3. Middle of the order bat for RF or 1B (maybe)

You don't think Cabrera returns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are probably right about Davis. The way Joseph has been looking I don't think they will want Wieters back either.

Taking a quick look at the free agent list: Justin Upton, Denard Span, Alex Gordon, Dexter Fowler, and Jason Heyward are the only attractive names to me. With 50 mil of budget space there is no reason we can't make a run at any of the top guys. Upton is going to be priciest guy on this list, but also the most attractive because the difference between what he will cost and a player like Gordon and Heyward isn't enough to not go all in on Upton. I can see Upton going for somewhere in the 6 to 7 year for 120 to 150 million range. Heyward for slightly less and Gordon for big money but less years. But like I said, we will have the space and then some.

Although I think we'd have a shot at Upton, we probably lose in a bidding war to the Yankees or Red Sox. Span or Fowler appear like Buck guys to me and will sure up the OF defense.

Span would be a really nice addition to the team. I hope that they make a run at him. Upton is a nice player but you're right, if the Orioles go after him they will likely get outbid.

while are we still dumping on Pete?

I think its safe to say, ownership has changed their style and this is clearly a much better run organization.

:rofl:

Archived