Markakis' Contract Renewed..Markakis annoyed

StunninSteve

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like paying draftees more than slot money, the Red Sox are continuing to set the curve for salaries.

I'm not sure at this point if it's a good thing or bad thing as MLB players are overpaid anyway...

How should Nick feel about it? Same service time.

I suppose that's one way to run an organization....

Yup. Except in extremely, extremely, extremely rare cases, it is also the smart way. For the most part, it's not like the players will show loyalty to their original teams when they get the chance in free agency.

Yup. Except in extremely, extremely, extremely rare cases, it is also the smart way. For the most part, it's not like the players will show loyalty to their original teams when they get the chance in free agency.

I agree with you... but could backfire.... a little more money wouldn't have made much difference to us.

It would've been nice if the Orioles would've done something like this. I think it would've been a great step (along with what they did this offseason) in bringing the organization back from the dead.

I'm not going to go as far as say the team dropped the ball again, but I think it would've been the best $100k or so that the team has spent recently.

I'm not going to go as far as say the team dropped the ball again, but I think it would've been the best $100k or so that the team has spent recently.

Agreed. And if we sign him to a multi-year contract, the $100k won't have an effect on future salaries.

But if we offer him a fair multi-year deal sometime this year, I think the damage will be avoided.

Agreed. And if we sign him to a multi-year contract, the $100k won't have an effect on future salaries.

But if we offer him a fair multi-year deal sometime this year, I think the damage will be avoided.

Damage? There is no damage.

Nick isn't going to hold anything against the O's for this. He was disappointed in not getting a deal done but he's not stupid. He'll be a big boy and take it. But if for some reason he doesn't then that shows something and good riddance. But again I'm sure he'll deal with it like a big boy and not hold a grudge.

Damage? There is no damage.

Nick isn't going to hold anything against the O's for this. He was disappointed in not getting a deal done but he's not stupid. He'll be a big boy and take it. But if for some reason he doesn't then that shows something and good riddance. But again I'm sure he'll deal with it like a big boy and not hold a grudge.

And that is one of the reasons we haven't had a winning season in ten years.

At times, there has to be a compromise. This isn't a time when a compromise is needed, but there will be. We're going to have to pay him more than we'd ideally want to. Unless his demands are absurd, the O's should consider them. We have the money to do so.

Of course, all of this could be completely irrelevant. I hope so.

How should Nick feel about it? Same service time.

Markakis is still ahead... moneywise.

Signing Bonuses, Markakis = $1.85m, Paplebon = $264.5k

2006 Salary, Markakis = $0.327m, Paplebon = $0.3345m

2007 Salary, Markakis = $0.400m, Paplebon = $0.4225m

2008 Salary, Markakis = $0.455m, Paplebon = $0.775m

Markakis is still ahead... moneywise.

Signing Bonuses, Markakis = $1.85m, Paplebon = $264.5k

2006 Salary, Markakis = $0.327m, Paplebon = $0.3345m

2007 Salary, Markakis = $0.400m, Paplebon = $0.4225m

2008 Salary, Markakis = $0.455m, Paplebon = $0.775m

Good info.... thanks.. I didn't know about the signing bonus... I think that changes things somewhat....

And that is one of the reasons we haven't had a winning season in ten years.

At times, there has to be a compromise. This isn't a time when a compromise is needed, but there will be. We're going to have to pay him more than we'd ideally want to. Unless his demands are absurd, the O's should consider them. We have the money to do so.

Of course, all of this could be completely irrelevant. I hope so.

You want to keep a player that holds a grudge for 4 years over something that should be a non-issue? (again not saying he will, that part was hypothetical)

And everyone keeps forgetting how the money he makes this year will affect his arbitration in the future. It may only be a few thousand now, but over the next couple years that could be millions in difference. The Orioles are in no position to be unnecessarily tossing out millions.

Archived