Markakis' Contract Renewed..Markakis annoyed

StunninSteve

I think we should sign him long term and reading between the lines, it seems like Nick would like that too.

But i guess the Orioles want to see more out of him...I don't agree with it but that is the way they want to handle it....many teams handle it the same way.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Pay dat man hees money."

The dude earned it, at least we could reward him now hoping that he will reward us later with a hometown discount. We should have offered him a million. In baseball, that is nothing, but it would have done a lot toward making Markakis happy.

The problem is that even though Markakis is worth a million, the problem becomes then next year when he is arbitration eligible, the price tag goes up substantially if he gets a million this year. Therefore the money starts adding up year after year. The best thing would be to sign him through all the arbitration years and buy out a few years of his free agency. That's how the good teams like Cleveland keep their young guys happy. The Orioles? Different story!

I think it's getting to the point where if Nick has another solid year, or even progresses further in 2008, you need to reward him with a long term deal that acknowledges that contribution. I'm fine with the Orioles wanting to see if Nick continues to produce. But keeping him happy should definitely be in the back of their minds.

SG, i don't think is is a bad thing to do if the O's want to see more of him. IMO

It could turn into a bad thing. another big year could be the difference between 6/42 mil. $ or 6/72 mil. $. If your not gonna take a risk on a guy like Markakis, then who will they take a risk on?

Heck, the Rockies gave Tulowiski a 6 year deal after one season. And Sizemore and now Holliday got longterm deals after only two full seasons.

also from the same article:

"The Philadelphia Phillies renewed the contract of Cole Hamels at $500,000, a result that the ace left-hander called a "low blow." Hamels went 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA last season and is viewed as one of the top young pitchers in the game."

but yeah, disappointing all the same, but i dont think, looking at those two, that he got a raw deal, at all.

Sure it does...It tells you that he wants a longer deal and is a little frustrated by not agreeing to something.

Exactly right. It's not wrong for the O's to want to see more. That said, when they do, and if they like what they see, they should reimburse Nick for carrying the risk this year rather than ponying up themselves.

You need to show, with the next contract, just how much you appreciate what a player offers. That said, they've got innumerable contracts left with him to make him feel better. The feelings here will fade soon enough.

Sure it does...It tells you that he wants a longer deal and is a little frustrated by not agreeing to something.

It tells nothing. Every player that gets put in this position says the same thing. Everyone is frustrated they do not have a longer deal.

It tells nothing. Every player that gets put in this position says the same thing. Everyone is frustrated they do not have a longer deal.

If it shows frustration it shows frustration. The universality of that emotion doesn't negate that.

If it shows frustration it shows frustration. The universality of that emotion doesn't negate that.

OK, well his stance isn't any different than his counterparts so I don't feel the reason to call that quote "very telling".

If he would have pulled a Cole Hamels or a Prince Fielder, that would be "very telling"

Archived