Markakis' Contract Renewed..Markakis annoyed

StunninSteve

The Mets just renewed John Maine too, but he was grounded enough to take it well, saying something like 'how could I complain when the minimum MLB salary is more than most people will earn in their life?'

This is also the other side of it...greed.

BTW, I think the Orioles are in a different situation than most teams...They have been losers for 10 straight years and that streak figures to be extended.

We have just traded 2 of the best players on the team and BRob is likely next.

It would be good to show our star player that we are committed to him and to the team long term...Even if it blows up in our face, it still shows a committment and with how this organization has been, that may be more important than most teams.

BTW, along these same lines, if Nick just wanted more money, would it have killed us to throw a few more 100K at him for a good faith gesture on our part?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is also the other side of it...greed.

BTW, I think the Orioles are in a different situation than most teams...They have been losers for 10 straight years and that streak figures to be extended.

We have just traded 2 of the best players on the team and BRob is likely next.

It would be good to show our star player that we are committed to him and to the team long term...Even if it blows up in our face, it still shows a committment and with how this organization has been, that may be more important than most teams.

BTW, along these same lines, if Nick just wanted more money, would it have killed us to throw a few more 100K at him for a good faith gesture on our part?

This is assuming, of course, that a few hundred thousand would make a difference. We simply don't know.

This is how mistakes get made. Trying to do something that is unnecessary in order to generate some goodwill four years before a team loses rights to a player.

This is how mistakes get made. Trying to do something that is unnecessary in order to generate some goodwill four years before a team loses rights to a player.

I don't see how locking up one of the best young players in the sport for a very cheap deal is a mistake.

And the bottom line is, this organization needs to create some goodwill, whether you like it or not.

David Wright had his contract renewed during his 3rd year and then signed the long term contract later that year.

I find it interesting that the O's were even talking to Markakis about terms. I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed long term after the AS break.

David Wright had his contract renewed during his 3rd year and then signed the long term contract later that year.

I find it interesting that the O's were even talking to Markakis about terms. I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed long term after the AS break.

I do agree with this.

I think AM will want to do these types of deals but want to wait a little longer to see more of the player.

1) We're indulging in speculation based on little or no information. This isn't even a molehill we're trying to make a mountain out of.

2) My indulgent speculation is that Markakis gets extended later in the year...and that he's getting what he's getting this year because a) the two sides are relatively far apart on parameters for a deal, and b) this issue isn't high on MacPhail's "to do" list...yet.

Glad to know the only way a mistake can be made is to be prematurely preemptive.

There are lots of teams that regret not signing good young players to long term deals when they had the chance.

BTW, I don't know if you actually think this is the case but hopefully we can all be intellectually honest enough to recognize that signing a young player to a long term deal, from the club''s perspective, is about more than just "goodwill." Actually a whole lot more.

Goodwill is more like a positive externality than a primary goal of the process.

Archived