Markakis' Contract Renewed..Markakis annoyed

StunninSteve

I don't see how locking up one of the best young players in the sport for a very cheap deal is a mistake.

And the bottom line is, this organization needs to create some goodwill, whether you like it or not.

Sort of like allowing Bedard to acrue service time while on the DL for a chunk of a season? That turned out really well for BAL...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What more do they have to see? Do you think the O's believe that the last 2 years have been an enigma of some kind and that Markakis will suddenly turn into Corey Patterson? From his comments...."I'll just have to deal with it"....it seems pretty obvious that Markakis is "disappointed" that the O's didn't work harder...if at all....to find common ground on more money or a long-term deal. To me, it sounds more like the O's FO still has their "injury fear" mentality.

To be honest, having Paps, Fielder, Hamels and Markakis speak up like this smells like the work of the MLPBA -- getting the young stars to start complaining about not getting enough soon enough. Color me bored -- there is nothing wrong with asking a player to perform for several years before you elevate him to one of the wealthiest 5% in the country...

To be honest, having Paps, Fielder, Hamels and Markakis speak up like this smells like the work of the MLPBA -- getting the young stars to start complaining about not getting enough soon enough. Color me bored -- there is nothing wrong with asking a player to perform for several years before you elevate him to one of the wealthiest 5% in the country...

Says the first year attorney...*

;)

*I may be projecting...

Well i don't think it is so bad. Next year he will getr his money. I don't see the FO messing with him. I thnik they know he is aprt of the future. Maybe that is just part of baseball. Havin to wait until the money comes in. Was last year his first full year?

It is part of baseball, as the Brewers did the same with Prince Fielder but based on his status with the team, and the fact that they raised prices and dropped payroll, they could have let him win this one.

Well, second year...

Truly just joking. I wonder if there's a PECOTA system for law students projecting firm performance...

Judging by my law school grades, perhaps I'm the Luis Hernandez of BigLaw...defying expectations (with a soaring professional perforamnce).

Or, depending on your perspective, perhaps I'm not defying anything. My six-month review is looming. I'll keep you posted. :D

Truly just joking. I wonder if there's a PECOTA system for law students projecting firm performance...

Judging by my law school grades, perhaps I'm the Luis Hernandez of BigLaw...defying expectations.

Or, depending on your perspective, perhaps I'm not defying anything. :D

It'd be much easier for med students, since they go through four rounds of the Boards during and after med school. I wish there were any easy way to do it for lawyers -- I'd be rich -- but you'd have to track law school grads, their career progression and their reasons for switching jobs.

That said, I think I'd be a league-average type, with law school PECOTA predicting 3-5 solid years of big firm work and a switch to a small firm or in-house. Little do they know I plan to be a house-husband with a baseball school once my wife finishes with residency...hehehehehe ;)

Sort of like allowing Bedard to acrue service time while on the DL for a chunk of a season? That turned out really well for BAL...

I don't think they did that as a goodwill gesture. I think they did that to avoid burning an option.

I don't think they did that as a goodwill gesture. I think they did that to avoid burning an option.

SNAP! I have no idea...

As an aside, Penn was awarded a 4th option year due to injury -- wouldn't Bedard have been awarded the same? Either way, Bedard benefitted and still no problem blasting the way the team "treated him" on the way out the door.

It'd be much easier for med students, since they go through four rounds of the Boards during and after med school. I wish there were any easy way to do it for lawyers -- I'd be rich -- but you'd have to track law school grads, their career progression and their reasons for switching jobs.

That said, I think I'd be a league-average type, with law school PECOTA predicting 3-5 solid years of big firm work and a switch to a small firm or in-house. Little do they know I plan to be a house-husband with a baseball school once my wife finishes with residency...hehehehehe ;)

I'm sort-of your typical kid that's all tools...and no skills.

Think: Tyler Colvin. Or, better: Keith Reed.

This is a pretty stupid move, IMO. Even if they didn't want to sign him long term at this time, a few hundred thousand dollars extra, and all of this could have been avoided. It's also a very bad move from a P.R. standpoint. I don't get it.

Archived