Drew Dosch Named Carolina League Player of the Week (Advanced-A)

weams

Geoff Arnold

KEYS THIRD BASEMAN BECOMES FIRST TO WIN 2015 WEEKLY AWARD

FREDERICK, Md. The Frederick Keys are pleased to announce that Drew Dosch has been named the Carolina League Player of the Week for April 20-26. The Keys third baseman becomes the first Frederick player to receive a weekly award this season, while it is the first time he has been recognized in his professional career. In 2014, the Keys had five players named either a player of the week or pitcher of the week.

Over seven games, Dosch hit .400 (10-for-25) with a home run, a double, two triples, eight RBIs and five runs scored. The eight RBIs were tied for the fifth-most at the Advanced-A level. Currently, Dosch leads the Carolina League with 18 RBIs (four more than the next-closest player) and is tied for the league lead in games played (18). Additionally, he is third in at-bats (67) and tied for fourth in extra-base hits (seven) and total bases (31). Dosch leads all Keys with a .299 average.

The highlight of the third baseman?s week came on April 20 at Lynchburg, when the 22-year-old went 3-for-4 with a career-high four RBIs and came up only a single shy of the cycle. Over the Keys recent seven-game roadtrip to Wilmington and Lynchburg, Dosch hit .435 (10-for-23) with a home run, a triple, three doubles, 10 RBIs and three runs scored.

Selected by the Orioles in the seventh round of the 2013 draft out of Youngstown State University, Dosch is in his first year with the Keys after spending all of 2014 at Low-A Delmarva. In his first professional season, he finished third in the South Atlantic League in hits (157) and seventh in batting average (.340).

Named the Orioles minor league Player of the Month last July, Dosch batted .364 with 15 RBIs in 27 games. He is rated the No. 15 prospect in the Orioles system according to Baseball America, and is also regarded as having the best strike zone discipline in the organization according to the publication's best tools survey.

Geoff Arnold

KEYS THIRD BASEMAN BECOMES FIRST TO WIN 2015 WEEKLY AWARD

FREDERICK, Md. The Frederick Keys are pleased to announce that Drew Dosch has been named the Carolina League Player of the Week for April 20-26. The Keys third baseman becomes the first Frederick player to receive a weekly award this season, while it is the first time he has been recognized in his professional career. In 2014, the Keys had five players named either a player of the week or pitcher of the week.

Over seven games, Dosch hit .400 (10-for-25) with a home run, a double, two triples, eight RBIs and five runs scored. The eight RBIs were tied for the fifth-most at the Advanced-A level. Currently, Dosch leads the Carolina League with 18 RBIs (four more than the next-closest player) and is tied for the league lead in games played (18). Additionally, he is third in at-bats (67) and tied for fourth in extra-base hits (seven) and total bases (31). Dosch leads all Keys with a .299 average.

The highlight of the third baseman?s week came on April 20 at Lynchburg, when the 22-year-old went 3-for-4 with a career-high four RBIs and came up only a single shy of the cycle. Over the Keys recent seven-game roadtrip to Wilmington and Lynchburg, Dosch hit .435 (10-for-23) with a home run, a triple, three doubles, 10 RBIs and three runs scored.

Selected by the Orioles in the seventh round of the 2013 draft out of Youngstown State University, Dosch is in his first year with the Keys after spending all of 2014 at Low-A Delmarva. In his first professional season, he finished third in the South Atlantic League in hits (157) and seventh in batting average (.340).

Named the Orioles minor league Player of the Month last July, Dosch batted .364 with 15 RBIs in 27 games. He is rated the No. 15 prospect in the Orioles system according to Baseball America, and is also regarded as having the best strike zone discipline in the organization according to the publication's best tools survey.

Thanks, Mike.

Baseball America says to not worry about him being old.

Yep.

After playing for Division-I Youngstown State for 3 years, Dosch tore up Regular-A Delmarva last year at 21, and is off to an excellent start with Advanced-A Frederick this year, at 22.

Perhaps he will get a promotion to AA-Bowie at some point this season, and then start the 2016 season with AAA-Norfolk, at 23 ...... just one step below the Orioles. O:skeletor:

Yep.

After playing for Division-I Youngstown State for 3 years, Dosch tore up Regular-A Delmarva last year at 21, and is off to an excellent start with Advanced-A Frederick this year, at 22.

Perhaps he will get a promotion to AA-Bowie at some point this season, and then start the 2016 season with AAA-Norfolk, at 23 ...... just one step below the Orioles. O:skeletor:

June 24, 1992

This is his age 23 season.

Right, but baseball age is derived from a player's age on July first.

The established convention is to use that date.

Yes, that's true.

On a similar note, I'm a stickler when it comes to football seasons, and world champions.

For example, I always assert that the Jets were the champions of the football world in 1968 ...... even though they beat the Colts in the Super Bowl of January of 1969.

And all of the record books (pro football reference, etc.) validate that.

The Steelers won 4 Super Bowls in the 70's ...... even though they beat the Rams in January of 1980 in Super Bowl XIV.

The same with the 49ers winning 4 Super Bowls in the 80's ...... even though they beat the Broncos in January of 1990 in Super Bowl XXIV.

Right, but baseball age is derived from a player's age on July first.

The established convention is to use that date.

If the question is whether Dosch is "old" for the Carolina League, I'd say no, but he is old for a prospect. I haven't found any current figures, but in April 2012, BA reported that the median age of players in the Carolina league was 23 years, 5 months. http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/median-age-for-every-full-season-minor-league/ So, assuming the median hasn't changed much, Dosch is maybe 7 months younger than the median. The problem with that is that there are a lot of guys in the league who are really just organizational filler. The guys who make it to MLB tend to skew younger. Hopefully, Dosch can play well enough to get promoted to Bowie during the season.

If the question is whether Dosch is "old" for the Carolina League, I'd say no, but he is old for a prospect. I haven't found any current figures, but in April 2012, BA reported that the median age of players in the Carolina league was 23 years, 5 months. http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/median-age-for-every-full-season-minor-league/ So, assuming the median hasn't changed much, Dosch is maybe 7 months younger than the median. The problem with that is that there are a lot of guys in the league who are really just organizational filler. The guys who make it to MLB tend to skew younger. Hopefully, Dosch can play well enough to get promoted to Bowie during the season.

As I said, last week's prospect hot list specifically mentioned that his age, in their eyes, did not negatively effect his prospect status at this time.

I'm more concerned about their opinion of his defense.

Archived