Reschedule Game/Series

Redskins Rick

I did not even mention anything about money, thank you. The difficulty in the logistics is apparent on many levels, including approval of the Sox, MLB, etc. I was just stating a possibility of something like that happening.

I understand and I wasn't trying to sound snippy. Just from listening to Manfred on Mike and Mike this morning, and then listening to Norris on the Fan, it sounded like they would play the game in an empty stadium if it meant they could do it safely and without incident.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand and I wasn't trying to sound snippy. Just from listening to Manfred on Mike and Mike this morning, and then listening to Norris on the Fan, it sounded like they would play the game in an empty stadium if it meant they could do it safely and without incident.

Or even play in Bowie, but keep the gates closed to the fans, would get the game in.

Finally found the link to what I was referring to. Game between Siena and Colgate that was quarantined due to measles.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/10/sports/measles-cools-basketball-fever.html

I remember that.

It was on the back page of the NY Daily News the day after the game.

It wasn't enough that Siena was a #14 seed, having to take on a # 3 seed (Stanford.)

Some of the members of their team couldn't play, because they had the measles.

They won the game anyway, in a HUGE upset.

What about just canceling the games? If O's are a game and a half out of first at the end of the season then so be it. Stats and such will be thrown off but in a small way MLB would ensure that we all remember what happened last night, and signal that peace is more important than baseball (as JP Angelos said).

Anyone know what they did in '68?

I remember that.

It was on the back page of the NY Daily News the day after the game.

It wasn't enough that Siena was a #14 seed, having to take on a # 3 seed (Stanford.)

Some of the members of their team couldn't play, because they had the measles.

They won the game anyway, in a HUGE upset.

I'm not sure why I remembered that so well, probably just due to the unusual circumstances surrounding it. However, it was the very first thought that came to my mind when everything was falling to pieces in Baltimore last night and we were on OH discussing how to get the games in. I believe it is the cleanest and SAFEST option at this point.

Make no bones about it, it does not help the Birds. There will hardly be any home field advantage in an empty stadium and it is going to hit the team hard in the wallet. I would hope that MLB would compensate us somehow for the financial loss, but I wouldn't count on it.

What about just canceling the games? If O's are a game and a half out of first at the end of the season then so be it. Stats and such will be thrown off but in a small way MLB would ensure that we all remember what happened last night, and signal that peace is more important than baseball (as JP Angelos said).

I looked it up, couldn't depend on my memory.

The Orioles played the Senators in RFK, and this was when they was also rioting in DC because of Kent State incident.

The riots in '68 occurred at the very beginning of the baseball season. I remember reading that the O's first home game (I'm not sure if it was actually opening day) was played in the waning days of the rioting.

• Afternoon—The Baltimore Orioles home opener against the Oakland Athletics is postponed.

http://archives.ubalt.edu/bsr/timeline/timeline.html

Archived