2015 Washington Nationals

Redskins Rick

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the guy leaned on the pitch, but Scherzer was lucky to be even pitching a no hitter at that point. Several balls were hit hard and he was the beneficiary of stellar defense behind him.

How many balls were hit hard? There was a line drive to Harper and a deep flyball to Taylor in the early innings. Other than that, what was hit hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a ball into the shift where the batter was thrown out from shallow outfield. There were a few others. I get that a perfect game always needs a few great defensive plays. But typically they are more dominant than yesterday's performance. Sherzer barely got into double digits K (10). There were a lot of balls in play.

There was a ball into the shift where the batter was thrown out from shallow outfield. There were a few others. I get that a perfect game always needs a few great defensive plays. But typically they are more dominant than yesterday's performance. Sherzer barely got into double digits K (10). There were a lot of balls in play.

Heck of a play.

The Espinosa play was great on a routine dribbler that almost beat the shift. Rendon made a nice grab on a foul popup, but that guy had no chance. I guess he was lucky to blow 97 past McCutchen late in the game. And only 10k's? Typically, no hitters don't have 10 strike outs--at least in this decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LA Times

The Washington Nationals arrive at Dodger Stadium on Monday in an unexpected position. If the playoffs started Monday, the Nationals would not be in them.

In the spring, the Nationals were regarded as the biggest lock in baseball. The analytical website Fangraphs had 38 writers pick the winner of every division in the major leagues; all 38 voted the same way in only one division: Washington, in the National League East.

And why not? The Nationals won the NL East by 17 games last year, and they spent $210 million to add Max Scherzer atop a star-studded starting rotation, one that posted the lowest earned-run average in the majors last season.

The Washington Nationals now have a losing record.

They're really struggling on offense. Even with Bryce Harper OPS+ing a staggering 198, the team as a whole has an OPS+ of 93. Take out Bryce Harper (such as when he's on the DL), and it's toothless.

198 Bryce Harper

119 Denard Span (DL)

111 Yunel Escobar

110 Clint Robinson

102 Danny Espinosa

---

Everyone else with 10 or more PA is below average. That includes Wilson Ramos ($3.55 mil), Ryan Zimmerman ($14 mil), Ian Desmond ($11 mil), Jayson Werth ($21 mil), and Anthony Rendon (top prospect).

The pitching has certainly been incredibly underwhelming (102 ERA+) but the hitting is the main problem.

Archived