Scorekeeping

longflyball

Who fills out a scorecard when watching a game? Years ago, when I was a kid just getting in to baseball, I made up my own system and kept score on graph paper. I still have a few pages buried somewhere in a box in my closet. But I have never learned the traditional method. Though the basics appear easy to pick up and I imagine no two people do it exactly alike, I would be interested to know how others do it. Where do you get your cards, and do you suggest any websites to visit? I'd like to start scoring games this season.

I buy a scorebook at Dick's -- costs about $5. One thing I definitely do is wait for an official ruling on any questionable play. Nothing sucks worse than writing "E5" and then realizing the official scorer ruled it a hit, particularly if you tally RBI and a run scored.

I use a pretty standard method, I suppose. Nothing too fancy.

I've been filling out a scorecard since the middle of last season. I bought a book online with space for 100 games and enough columns for 13 innings.

Best scorebook I've ever seen:

Link

It's a little pricier ($25 plus shipping) than the ones you'll find in stores like Modell's, but it's worth it in my opinion.

You can pick from different scorecards and print them off from this site:

http://www.baseballscorecard.com/downloads.htm

There's some good stuff there.

I always keep score if I watch a game from the stands, especially major league games. It's fun to go back and look to see what happened years after you've forgotten.

I have some quirks in how I do it. A called strikeout goes down as "Kc" instead of the backwards K. A flyout to center goes down as "8" instead of "F8." And I like to asterisk certain at-bats where something remarkable happens, and then explain the asterisk at the bottom of the page.

I just use the sheet that comes with the program, and there's always basic instructions included if I forget something. I only keep score if I'm at a game with other 'serious' fans or alone -- if it's a social situation people are always chatting and I can't pay attention enough to do it properly. It's a lot of fun, more people should give it a try.

I keep score; my dad taught me watching minor league games in Montana. I just got a couple of books for Christmas; before, I usually bought a card at the game ($1 at Camden Yards). I'm trying to get better about including things like RBIs, and definitely watch for the scorer's ruling on close plays. FWIW, I usually go to games alone; when a friend's with me, I generally don't keep score.

I buy a scorebook at Dick's -- costs about $5. One thing I definitely do is wait for an official ruling on any questionable play. Nothing sucks worse than writing "E5" and then realizing the official scorer ruled it a hit, particularly if you tally RBI and a run scored.

I use a pretty standard method, I suppose. Nothing too fancy.

I always like to score the game myself. If I think something is an error, but the official scorekeeper thinks its a hit, well screw him, I'm writing it as an error.

I always keep score, and usually do so in an official game program because I enjoy reading those things years after the fact.

My personal system was customized from keeping track of thousands of Statis-Pro Baseball games when I was a teen.

I've keep score at every game I've gone to, as far as I can remember. I've got old scorecards piled up at my parents' house and my apartment. I've always thought it was fun, and it helps me when I write my game recaps.

My "quirk" is that I draw tiny stick-figure baserunners in the squares to indicate when runners have been left on base or advanced a base. I'm pretty sure that's not part of the official rules of scorekeeping, but it livens up the page a bit. :)

I buy my score book from Dick's too, and I have even taught my girlfriend how to keep a book.

I keep score everytime I go... it's in my blood. I was even the official scorer for the Shorebirds for two years.

Last year, I was with my girlfriend at a game when we first started going together back in August. I wasn't going to keep score that night, but she pulled out a scorecard herself and said she kept score too!

My God... she's a keeper! :D

I use to work for my towns little league to annouce and do the scorebooks. That ways many years ago, but I was pretty good about it.

It is pretty hard to not follow the standard way. Some people like F-8 and some like PO-8. I am a F-8 guy myself.

Archived