Zach Davies is pitching his butt off

wildcard

Through the end of May: 2.96 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 8.1 K/9, 2.4 K/BB.

Considering his age and that this is his first stint in AAA, so far, so good for Mr. Davies. He had one disastrous start on May 3 (0.2 IP, 4 ER), but otherwise has been very solid. I'd like to see him cut down the walks a bit and start getting a little deeper into games (only 3 starts of 6+ IP).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been remarkably consistent throughout his time in the system. His k-rate is actually up this season with more than a strikeout an inning.

One split worth noting, though, is his home-road numbers. Davies has benefited greatly from the notoriously pitcher-friendly stadium in Norfolk with an ERA of just 1.17. His road ERA is 3.78 which is solid but slightly above his career average.

Through two months and almost 50 innings, he has yet to allow a home run. Good news if he's going to be pitching in OPACY

Stats-wise, his career is not far behind Eduardo Rodriquez as both have recently turned 22.

EdRod: 534 innings, 3.23 ERA, 1.219 WHIP, 8.1/2.8 SO/W's.

Davies: 421 innings, 3.56 ERA, 1.281 WHIP, 8.0/2.9 SO/W's.

I think it's the period after EdRod got traded that's been the difference statistically. And he had a brilliant first start with Boston. Anyway, maybe there's nothing to be drawn by comparing their stats, but hopefully he remains close in the bigs.

Stats-wise, his career is not far behind Eduardo Rodriquez as both have recently turned 22.

EdRod: 534 innings, 3.23 ERA, 1.219 WHIP, 8.1/2.8 SO/W's.

Davies: 421 innings, 3.56 ERA, 1.281 WHIP, 8.0/2.9 SO/W's.

I think it's the period after EdRod got traded that's been the difference statistically. And he had a brilliant first start with Boston. Anyway, maybe there's nothing to be drawn by comparing their stats, but hopefully he remains close in the bigs.

EdRod has a much higher ceiling. But Davies is certainly a solid prospect.

• 3 weeks later...

His ERA is good (2.94) but he's having a lot of short outings. Walks are up and pitch counts have been high. May be a case where more experienced, disciplined hitters aren't biting at pitches Davies was able to get batters to swing at in AA and lower.

His ERA is good (2.94) but he's having a lot of short outings. Walks are up and pitch counts have been high. May be a case where more experienced, disciplined hitters aren't biting at pitches Davies was able to get batters to swing at in AA and lower.

What do you see him as in your opinion Frobby? I know his results are good, but just worry if he can get out major league hitters consistently. Again, I am no scout just from seeing him pitch he seems to be about location (which many great pitchers have thrived off let me tell you).

What do you see him as in your opinion Frobby? I know his results are good, but just worry if he can get out major league hitters consistently. Again, I am no scout just from seeing him pitch he seems to be about location (which many great pitchers have thrived off let me tell you).

I have never seen him pitch, and even if I had, I wouldn't trust my own opinion of whether his stuff would translate to the majors. I will say that he will probably have a thin margin of error as a major league pitcher, i.e., if he is a little off on a given day, he'll be in serious trouble.

With Davies, we have the luxury of time. He's 22 years old and this is his first year on the 40-man roster, and with Gausman, Wright and Wilson all older and more experienced at the higher levels, we can let Davies develop a little more before exposing him to major league hitters.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care how hard you throw. Swing and miss stuff plays at any level. If he was a control guy averaging 5 K/9 IP I would have some concerns, but he's averaging almost a K an inning based on whatever deceptions and quality secondary stuff that he has. His changeup is superb which may the single most important pitch to have in today's game.

Is he topping out at 89-90 or is he getting into the 91-92 MPH range? That makes a huge difference. Everything I've read on this guy is that he knows how to pitch and I don't see why he can't be just as successful as someone like Miguel Gonzales with a little more seasoning.

Davies is TINY by pitcher standards. Just 5'10 150 lbs. That MAY or MAY NOT mean anything, but it sure doesn't seem like he'll be a power pitcher.

I am not impressed from what I have seen. I am no scout but just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived