Zach Davies is pitching his butt off

wildcard

I was at last night's game in Durham. I thought he looked sharp. I am amazed at how such a small body frame can generate a 90 mph heater...but he does (thought the same about Lincecum). He was clearly in control of the game. He forced a lot of weak grounders. Not too many loud outs. I was impressed.

In other news, the almost in-the-park homer by Almanzar was the most interesting play of the night. Can't believe he missed third base and got called out on the appeal. Doh!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was glad to see him go 8 IP on just 96 pitches last night. His walks and pitch counts have been up a bit this year. I'd like to see him going 7+ innings on a somewhat regular basis in the second half of the season. If he can do that, he becomes a viable candidate for our 2016 rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

o

18 OUTS: 7 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 1 Popout, 1 Thrown Out Trying to Stretch a Single

ZACHARY RYAN DAVIES O(vs. AAA-Charlotte, 7/19)

IP:. 6

H:;; 8 l(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 95 (61 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.02 l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

21 (12 Strikes, 9 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

21 (13 Strikes, 8 Balls)

o

18 OUTS: 10 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Popouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

ZACHARY RYAN DAVIES O(vs. AAA-Pawtucket, 7/30)

IP:. 6

H:;; 5 l(5 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 87 (57 Strikes, 30 Balls)

2015 ERA: 2.84 l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (71 Strikes, 7 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 3 Balls)

Well, Zach pitched his butt off all the way to being traded for a productive major leaguer. I've seen very few prospects who were as steadily successful as Zach as he climbed through the organization one step every year. He's about fully baked and I hope he'll be in the majors next month or next year. I'll always root for him.

Well, Zach pitched his butt off all the way to being traded for a productive major leaguer. I've seen very few prospects who were as steadily successful as Zach as he climbed through the organization one step every year. He's about fully baked and I hope he'll be in the majors next month or next year. I'll always root for him.

Yeah, he was good. A look of a winner.

• 1 month later...
I heard on XM yesterday about starting tonight. This could be ugly if he pitches well.

It already is ugly, regardless of how he does. We gave up a cost controlled piece that was ready to join a starting rotation, for a rental that wasn't ever going to move the needle. How Davies performs going forward does not change how poor a trade it was.

It already is ugly' date=' regardless of how he does. We gave up a cost controlled piece that was ready to join a starting rotation, for a rental that wasn't ever going to move the needle. How Davies performs going forward does not change how poor a trade it was.[/quote']

Just another in a long line of very poor trades/judgement by DD. Yeah, I know....In Dan We Trust. Not me and I have been saying it for years. If for example, Brady Anderson took over as GM after this season, I would not hold him responsible for producing a winner in 2016. That would be unfair and unreasonable. You Judge a General Manager after 3 years on the job. My judgement of Dan Duquette? Awful, maybe even Syd Thrift awful.

Archived