Playing in an empty stadium is a terrible decision

atomic

600 isn't no one. And I don't those games they didn't let anyone watch them. There are more important things than baseball. If they can't play the game in front of a crowd just cancel it.

One of the games, was 100 people, which I suspect they will have, with "guests" in attendance for sure.

I am not happy that the Orioles decided to do this, it makes no sense, you almost lose the home field advantage with your crowd.

But, I am not going to rag on them for doing such.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are complaining to complain?

I think playing to any empty stadium is very insensitive. It says playing baseball is more important than the community, the fans, the workers. Play the game and damn the people.

Atomic's premise is correct. To play a professional game with no fans is rather, for a lack of a better word stupid. In reality it s no different than a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings having a keg game on a Sunday. I believe the players will find it difficult to play in such conditions. Any great or poor performance should be taken with a grain of salt. It will be a test to their professionalism to play at the top of their game. Imagine any performer(s) from stage, rock, etc performing at their best without any acknowledgement from the audience. All entertainers play to the audience, including athletes. I will not speculate on the behind the scenes scenarios, but to me this (albeit necessary) is the worse case scenario.

I agree with OP. I would like to think that the fans are part of the game, and if you don't have the fans you are changing the game.

Also, setting aside baseball (as J. P. Angelos said we should), I don't like the signal that it sends to the city. As much as I detest the Yankees, it was very powerful when they played after 9/11 and I would like for Baltimore to be able to experience that moment of coming together. Instead, the first game after the riot is going to be a reminder of Baltimore's dysfunction.

I would love to know how much of this decision came from MLB and other interests, and how much it came from the Orioles.

Without fans there is zero reason to play a game. This show continued incompetence by the Orioles. The Nationals say they were not asked about playing games at their stadium. There are numerous minor league stadiums and college stadiums where the game could have been played. They could have donated the proceeds to the people who were impacted by the riots.

This has never happened before as no one has been so short sighted before. NFL games move because of the snow. dodgers games moved due to their riots. They had plenty of notice.

Gotta love how people that aren't even remotely privy to the goings on of decision making, are able to label one of the party's incompetent.

The problem is you have support staff that must come to the game if you open attendance. Ushers, vendors, grounds crews etc. you create a hardship for those people if you open up attendance. On the other hand who is going to pickup all the foul balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today is much less disappointing than this weekend. I do hope they can provide some insight as to why this weekend's games were moved down to Tampa rather than being played locally/regionally. A few years ago, Indians' games were played in Milwaukee. It's not like there aren't complications, but it can be done. It's just a shame, given the O's fan base stretches from southern PA to North Carolina, that they couldn't make the best of this situation by playing the games somewhere within their territory. I'm SURE there is a good reason (because I'm not saying anything they don't know), but just hoping they'll provide some insight on what led to this decision.

My guess is that they didn't even want to come close to asking the Nats for anything, with what is going on with them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Camden Yards: If you build it they will come. Just not today. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gamestillcounts?src=hash">#gamestillcounts</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/masnOrioles">@masnOrioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/whitesox">@whitesox</a></p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I said it yesterday, but it bears repeating, the argument that they could have had this at one of the minor league parks is a non starter. If it's not an exhibition, nobody, and I mean nobody in MLB is going to let that happen. This is not 9/11, this is not the Boston marathon, this is a different animal because nobody knows how, when, where, or why any incident could flare up again. As was pointed out, this is a fluid situation and there's no telling what one day will be like to the next. Moving the Rays series to Tampa I see more of an argument against, but not this one. They've not played a game in almost 72 hours and they have a day off tomorrow. It had to happen.

What???? I swear some people just look for reasons to have issues. This is completely ludicrous. Playing with a crowd and risking safety while pulling resources away from other parts of the city would have been insensitive. Nobody knew yesterday what the situation was going to be like today. It is the definition of fluid.

I don't understand why someone who hates EVERYTHING this team does follows them so religiously. I would find something to do that I enjoyed rather than being miserable and trying to spread it to everyone else. Please cheer up. This is supposed to be a fun diversion.

That's where you're wrong. Atomic knew.

I think it would have been cool (but close to logistically impossible) for the O's and ChiSox to have played this game somewhere in Maryland at a Senior Little League field. Tell the older kids they have to show up but their game is canceled. Surprise them. Imagine the buzz in the media if they had done something like this?

As for moving the games to the Trop, I plan to be there Sunday. $15 for lower bowl and sit near the O's dugout? Yes, please.

Archived