Playing in an empty stadium is a terrible decision

atomic

Deserve? Yes, all humans deserve total transparency into all processes that they're mad about. Life should be like Congress, where anyone with any grievance should be allowed to subpoena all involved parties and force them to testify on television.

That would be fun for a short time. Short, like before I'm the one testifying.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurkijan with a lot of interesting points.

Said Buck said it will be difficult with a lot of the small chatter becoming audible.

MLB wants them to take notes on how this game goes just in case for future reference.

Said the Os had hoped to switch series with TB but MLB woulnt allow it.

Haven't been around here recently so forgive me if someone mentioned this...

I don't know that this has ever happened at the major league level; however, the Class-A Charleston Riverdogs ran a "Nobody Night" promotion in 2002 where they prohibited fans from entering the stadium. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2002-07-08-nobody-night.htm

The RiverDogs are run by the Goldklang Group, which includes Mike Veeck and Bill Murray. They also own the St. Paul Saints. They pioneered many of the crazy minor league promotions that almost every team now imitates. To me that whole thing is long past the sell-by date, but any time you have a Veeck and Bill Murray together they're pretty much allowed to do whatever they want.

Kurkijan with a lot of interesting points.

Said Buck said it will be difficult with a lot of the small chatter becoming audible.

MLB wants them to take notes on how this game goes just in case for future reference.

Said the Os had hoped to switch series with TB but MLB woulnt allow it.

Yeah, that aspect of it is pretty fascinating actually. The media will probably be able to hear some of the dialogue on the field. The players may be able to hear some of the calls made from the booth. Will the announcers still act as excited as they do when there's a crowd there, or will they be more muted? I thought very seriously about taking this afternoon off just to watch this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We are gonna do our best to take the crowd out of it early.. Wish us luck..</p>— Adam Eaton (@AdamSpankyEaton) <a href="

">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We are gonna do our best to take the crowd out of it early.. Wish us luck..</p>— Adam Eaton (@AdamSpankyEaton) <a href="
">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lol, Eaton seems like a pretty good dude.

Haha, that's good

Playing in an empty stadium has happened before in Egypt. After the Port Said soccer riots all league game were cancelled for two years. They played qualifiers for the Africa Cup of Nations I believe it was in an empty stadium, televised.

70 fans were murdered at a game. I think the situations are quite different.

My point was that everyone assumed he was going to try to move the team. No overt threat was necessary.

My point and I say it again. Not everybody assumed that he would be successful in moving the team to DC and that the threat to move was more to get a new stadium for his team to play in.

I imagine Oriole fans was absolutely more scared they would be losing their team.

My point and I say it again. Not everybody assumed that he would be successful in moving the team to DC and that the threat to move was more to get a new stadium for his team to play in.

I imagine Oriole fans was absolutely more scared they would be losing their team.

No, everyone assumed he would move the team. The O's already had a clause in their lease that allowed them to play up to 13 games each season in RFK stadium. When Williams announced that he would not invoke that clause for the 1980 season, he made clear that it was a "trial season" for Baltimore baseball fans.

Orioles attendance went from 1,051,724 in 1978 (when Williams started negotiating to buy the team) to 1,681,009 in 1979 to 1,797,438 in 1980. After the 1980 season, Williams announced that the Orioles would not be leaving Baltimore.

Without fans there is zero reason to play a game. This show continued incompetence by the Orioles. The Nationals say they were not asked about playing games at their stadium. There are numerous minor league stadiums and college stadiums where the game could have been played. They could have donated the proceeds to the people who were impacted by the riots.

This has never happened before as no one has been so short sighted before. NFL games move because of the snow. dodgers games moved due to their riots. They had plenty of notice.

The Orioles did not choose this. Nor are they incompetent. You are just living an agenda.

I have never seen For Love of the Game.

Of course some of the players notice the fans when the tensions get high, but the best of the best don't which is why they are the best of the best. There have been countless athletes say as much. In any account, your thought that they won't perform as well if there aren't people there is dubious at best IMO. There will be quotes about it being surreal and "missing the fans" but the players will play pretty much exactly as they would normally. To think otherwise is kind of silly IMO.

And again, with suggestions like going to you're ignoring some obviously important facts like the Orioles players were supposed to be in town today and tomorrow. There may be plans that can't be scrapped easily for one or more of them. These guys have lives and they are entitled to a bit of warning before being asked to leave town.

The only solution that makes much sense to me other than what they did was to play at the Nats park since it is a reasonable bus ride. Regardless, I have no idea why you're so upset about it. It is really not a big deal.

I'm not upset with it at all. I acknowledged that it was the probably the easiest and most prudent decision. Decisions like this are tough. The Friday JFK died (for younger folks, he was a President that was assassinated in '63), the NFL decided to play their Sunday games anyway. Pete Rozelle, said it was his worse decision while being commish. I do strongly believe it will be difficult for some players to play to an empty stadium. Are they going to fist pump? Yes, it is being televised. Anyone that compares watching a game in person is the same as being there is nuts. The almost humorous aspect of holding a record for the smallest crowd will be lost, I think it will require an asterisk, because it was artificially created.

No, everyone assumed he would move the team. The O's already had a clause in their lease that allowed them to play up to 13 games each season in RFK stadium. When Williams announced that he would not invoke that clause for the 1980 season, he made clear that it was a "trial season" for Baltimore baseball fans.

Orioles attendance went from 1,051,724 in 1978 (when Williams started negotiating to buy the team) to 1,681,009 in 1979 to 1,797,438 in 1980. After the 1980 season, Williams announced that the Orioles would not be leaving Baltimore.

This. This.

Archived