CSN Baltimore: Zach Britton Is Angry With Tampa Bay

weams

I?d rather play at home in Baltimore without anybody in the stands than go down and play three home games in Tampa."

?I think everyone feels the same way. This is our home field. The thing that?s frustrating is that Tampa won?t compromise and come back up here. These are tough situations. You would think people have some compassion for what?s going on. Apparently they don?t.?

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/orioles-talk/zach-britton-not-pleased-tampa-bay-rays?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as rather playing in an empty stadium Zachary needs to realize the fans pay his salary and keep the stadium open. If he would rather play in front of no one there are beer leagues he can join.

The Rays have concert scheduled for one of those games. The Orioles couldn't even start a game earlier to let the Ravens have their Super Bowl celebration game. Nationals stadium would have been a better choice. But with all city workers,having to report to work, kids going to school, I don't see why they don't play the games in Baltimore. Eventually they wI'll have to play in Baltimore again.

I have to say the Orioles seem to have burned their bridges with just about everyone.

Well as rather playing in an empty stadium Zachary needs to realize the fans pay his salary and keep the stadium open. If he would rather play in front of no one there are beer leagues he can join.

The Rays have concert scheduled for one of those games. The Orioles couldn't even start a game earlier to let the Ravens have their Super Bowl celebration game. Nationals stadium would have been a better choice. But with all city workers,having to report to work, kids going to school, I don't see why they don't play the games in Baltimore. Eventually they wI'll have to play in Baltimore again.

I have to say the Orioles seem to have burned their bridges with just about everyone.

Mentioning burning may be ill advised.

Who exactly are you directing your vitriol at?

They are not playing in Baltimore because the annoucment is going to be made on Friday if the protesters rioters do not get what they want hear ten it could easily be the same as Monday and maybe even worse. The team can not wait and see how people react and the decision to move the game is the only real decision they have. As for the pay part I am not sure what that means at all of course they know they need the fans but having a game in Tampa is not going to make money for the Orioles in fact having to travel will actually cost the team more money.

Agreed. I don't want to hear a bunch of whining from the players. Just go down there and win the series.

Exactly. I get where Zach's coming from...he's only human. But you sound petty complaining about venues for baseball games, when taking everything that's going on in the city. It's self inflicted, but there's bigger things than sports right now.

They are not playing in Baltimore because the annoucment is going to be made on Friday if the protesters rioters do not get what they want hear ten it could easily be the same as Monday and maybe even worse. The team can not wait and see how people react and the decision to move the game is the only real decision they have. As for the pay part I am not sure what that means at all of course they know they need the fans but having a game in Tampa is not going to make money for the Orioles in fact having to travel will actually cost the team more money.

So they can always hold the games. The schools and libraries will be open. Do you want to suggest the players safety is more important than school childrens and teachers? Also there will be no announcement on Friday.

Agreed. I don't want to hear a bunch of whining from the players. Just go down there and win the series.

And I don't get his whining. Isn't his family in Califonria? Wasn't it a question of him missing playoff games because he had to go to California for the birth of his child?

Maybe he knows something we don't, but I don't know that he's right to blame Tampa. If it's not an option to open the gates at Camden Yards, the Orioles at least get the ticket revenue from having the games in Tampa. I wouldn't be surprised if the O's did not want to have another closed game either.

I think I would characterize Zach as frustrated instead of angry. Davis gets it.

Davis said he could understand the reasons for moving this weekend's series to Florida.

"I think when you start thinking about what it would require for us to play here - the amount of security, what it would take away from the city - you realize what is most important," he said. "What is most important to us is that the city gets back on its feet. We don't want anything to take away from that."

But, doesn't having 78 true home games and 84 on the road put the Orioles at a competitive disadvantage?

"We're going to be wearing white uniforms so it will be just like we're playing here," Davis said, laughing. "You have to put that out of your mind and focus on the game. We know we'll be the home team in another team's stadium, but it is what is best for us and what is best for the city right now and we just (have) to comply."

source - Steve Melewski

Archived