Some stuff

bigbird

Millar? As an everyday OF?

That's a pretty big reach at this point, no?

Again, that'd have to be well down the Mets' list I'd imagine.

I'm pretty sure his name has been mentioned in recent rumors. I don't know where he'd rank on their list, but he's far from the worst option out there.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're not Kyle Lohse's first choice? A 4.82 ERA guy with 34 wins in fours years is unsigned in March, we're interested, and he says, "Nah, you're not my first choice."

OhhhhKay

Lohse signing in Baltimore would create a situation where right from Day 1, both parties long for the day when they don't need each other.

It's easy to see why Lohse would view Baltimore as his last resort.

Really, at this point, I have no problem holding onto Roberts if we can't get players that are going to be a major part of our future. My personal opinion is that Roberts has the game to be a productive player well into his late 30s, and with the young players we've brought in, hopefully the Orioles can show him that they are moving in the right direction.

Now, if we can get the right return, then I have no problem moving him, but I don't think we HAVE to move him. God's honest truth, if we're not getting a SS and or 2Bman of the futre and a possible starter, why should we move him?

Most of us would like to jump ahead to filling the holes that are on the O's like middle infielders. However I don't think MacPhail is quite there yet. He appears to be willing to take blue chippers of any description for his prime talent. Just as long as he gets quantity along with them. That is the my observation from the Bedard trade.

I can see MacPhail trading Roberts for two of Gallagher, Vitters, Colvin or maybe Veal (not sure he is a blue chipper) plus three lesser players like Cedeno, Patterson or Murton. Yes, Cubs fans, I know these players are not being offered.........yet. And yes, DaveArm, I know that you consider Murton more then a throw-in despite his problems driving the ball vs righthander.

I think MacPhail will continue to shop Brian for blue chippers and then after he makes that trade he will turn to moving the pieces he has to get young, long term position players.

Needless to say, fill in players like L Hernandez will be used until that process in completed.

Wildcard,

Great post and thats what Ive been thinking all along. Who cares if we fill our middle IF slots this year....we are not going to win anything this year. We need to assemble as much talent as possible, I dont care where it is right now. If you assemble a lot of talent, some of the players will thrive and then you can deal from positions of strength to set your team up for a real run. I would much rather have a better player right now than a player at a position of need right now. Theres plenty of time for filling holes in a couple of years

Most of us would like to jump ahead to filling the holes that are on the O's like middle infielders. However I don't think MacPhail is quite there yet. He appears to be willing to take blue chippers of any description for his prime talent. Just as long as he gets quantity along with them. That is the my observation from the Bedard trade.

I can see MacPhail trading Roberts for two of Gallagher, Vitters, Colvin or maybe Veal (not sure he is a blue chipper) plus three lesser players like Cedeno, Patterson or Murton. Yes, Cubs fans, I know these players are not being offered.........yet. And yes, DaveArm, I know that you consider Murton more then a throw-in despite his problems driving the ball vs righthander.

I think MacPhail will continue to shop Brian for blue chippers and then after he makes that trade he will turn to moving the pieces he has to get young, long term position players.

Needless to say, fill in players like L Hernandez will be used until that process in completed.

Two "blue chippers" *plus* THREE other ML-ready 0-3 guys, huh?

That right there is the sort of post that winds up on other messageboards for everyone to point and laugh at.

That right there is the sort of post that winds up on other messageboards for everyone to point and laugh at.

Your point? Every board has outrageous posts, as well as rational posts. And, I'm not saying Wildcard is outrageous.

For BRob, I want one prospect who will be a quality starting position player or starting pitcher plus someone from a bunch of prospect who might become a second such player. Getting a high quality MI prospect in this trade is not important to me.

BRob is not a salary dump, but he does present the opportunity to pick up quality young players and free up $ to purse FAs. However, some of those players must project to be very solid MLers if they pan out - otherwise, it's not worth trading him.

That said, 2B really don't yield much in trade historically, IMO, if they are not named Kent or Alomar. Just based on the rumors we hear, I think we are going to get as much for BRob as has been received in trade for a 2B in some time. I don't think that means the Cubs are over-paying, but a reflection that BRob is a high quality MLer.

You actually think that MacPhail is not asking for something similar. I think he is. And I think Hendry is not willing to do that yet. However, if the Cubs get into the pennant race and decide that to go deeper into the playoffs they need a better lead off hitter than Soriano or a better 2B than Derosa, then maybe Hendry increases his offer, if Roberts hasn't been traded by then.

I appreciate your concern for my posts being laughed at, but I doubt that my opinion carries the kind of weight that will be carried to other boards, unless you do the carrying.

I know your opinion is a lot higher on the 0-3 guys I mentioned, but I don't see them as anything more then fill ins until the O's can do better.

Cedeno can't be considered a long term solution when he can't even beat out Theriot.

Patterson doesn't even have a position that people are sure he can handle in the majors.

Murton is a leftfielder (can't play CF or RF adequately) who has had problem driving the ball vs righthanders over his three years in the majors. Scott is probably a better player at the moment.

That is what I see. You high opinion of Murton noted, but not withstanding. So when you say 0-3 major league ready players, you leave out the words that say they all have problems that may prevent them from being major league everyday players. That is why they are available from the Cubs. They are not highly thought of by Cubs managment.

For BRob, I want one prospect who will be a quality starting position player or starting pitcher plus someone from a bunch of prospect who might become a second such player. Getting a high quality MI prospect in this trade is not important to me.

BRob is not a salary dump, but he does present the opportunity to pick up quality young players and free up $ to purse FAs. However, some of those players must project to be very solid MLers if they pan out - otherwise, it's not worth trading him.

That said, 2B really don't yield much in trade historically, IMO, if they are not named Kent or Alomar. Just based on the rumors we hear, I think we are going to get as much for BRob as has been received in trade for a 2B in some time. I don't think that means the Cubs are over-paying, but a reflection that BRob is a high quality MLer.

2B might not but high quality leadoff hitters do.

Two "blue chippers" *plus* THREE other ML-ready 0-3 guys, huh? That right there is the sort of post that winds up on other messageboards for everyone to point and laugh at.

Dave, as a 5 for 1 it is heavily slanted in our favor but less so as a 5 for 2. Most agree that Gallagher and Cedano are in any deal and BB said the 3rd player was Veal. The argument was over the 4th player. In WC's scenario that player would be Patterson while the Cubs would prefer it to be someone like Fontenot. While that would be more than the Cubs would want to give up, Patterson really isn't ML-ready for a contending team. Would the Cubs really kill the trade over Patterson vs a Fontenot? Seems unlikely to me or it would have died a long time ago. None of these guys figure to play a role for the Cubs this year so while it is alot, and hurts your near ML-depth, it really doesn't hurt your present team. If Payton + $$ went back in exchange for Murton it fills a Cub's need, Payton goes to a contender on a bigger stage and is a good bet to get 350-400 ABs backing up all 3 OF positions. IMO a manager like Lou won't have any problems with him.

I just heard Roberts was spotted at Wrigley Field checking out the Ivy.If it is true about medical records the deal is close.You don't send another team medical records for the hell of it.

Um, right. Why exactly are you just making things up?

Why don't you take it to another message board then?

Um, right. Why exactly are you just making things up?

I just heard that Gallagher was spotted in the Cub's ST parking lot smashing a watermelon that he had written "Cubs" in big blue letters after which he jumped in his car and sped off. The windows of his car had "Baltimore Bound" written in orange shoe polish on them and empty cans of National Bohemian Beer were hanging off the back bumper. What could all that mean?

Dave' date=' as a 5 for 1 it is heavily slanted in our favor but less so as a 5 for 2. Most agree that Gallagher and Cedano are in any deal and BB said the 3rd player was Veal. The argument was over the 4th player. In WC's scenario that player would be Patterson while the Cubs would prefer it to be someone like Fontenot. While that would be more than the Cubs would want to give up, Patterson really isn't ML-ready for a contending team. Would the Cubs really kill the trade over Patterson vs a Fontenot? Seems unlikely to me or it would have died a long time ago. None of these guys figure to play a role for the Cubs this year so while it is alot, and hurts your near ML-depth, it really doesn't hurt your present team. If Payton + $$ went back in exchange for Murton it fills a Cub's need, Payton goes to a contender on a bigger stage and is a good bet to get 350-400 ABs backing up all 3 OF positions. IMO a manager like Lou won't have any problems with him.[/quote']

Cubs management may think that Payton fills their need for a 4th OF because he can play all three fields better then Murton can. However, I don't see the O's sending much money. That is why I see Payton for Dempster a better fit. Their salaries are similar.

Though Dave has expressed that Dempster is the Cubs #3 starter. I can't take that claim very seriously when they have Zambrano, Lilley and Hill plus Marquis is a better pitcher. Dempster IMO is fighting for the #5 spot versus Marshall and Lieber. I've seem that written several places and also seem that Dempster could possibly be traded.

I just heard that Gallagher was spotted in the Cub's ST parking lot smashing a watermelon that he had written "Cubs" in big blue letters after which he jumped in his car and sped off. The windows of his car had "Baltimore Bound" written in orange shoe polish on them and empty cans of National Bohemian Beer were hanging off the back bumper. What could all that mean?

We are going to have a ho-down? Everyone throw your sisters on the floor!! :D

Archived