Steve Pearce at 2B

ChuckS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Game day saId "chest injury".

Update III: The Orioles scored a run in the sixth inning and lost Steve Pearce.

Rey Navarro pinch-hit for Pearce, who left the game with a stomach illness, and delivered a two-out RBI single to right to score Manny Machado and reduce the lead to 2-1. Machado reached on a bunt single.

Roch.

Update III: The Orioles scored a run in the sixth inning and lost Steve Pearce.

Rey Navarro pinch-hit for Pearce, who left the game with a stomach illness, and delivered a two-out RBI single to right to score Manny Machado and reduce the lead to 2-1. Machado reached on a bunt single.

Roch.

Ed, Roch and Britt say crummy tummy.

I was thinking it was brilliant Buck strategy when Navarro got that hit.

Me, too. I wish the MASN guys hadn't said anything about Pearce's illness.

At the same time, I'm kind of surprised Bordick didn't try to find a way to say that the stomach problem will make Steve an even better second baseman or improve his ability to hit righthanders.;) Maybe I missed it while I was scouting the Mets on the other screen.

The brilliance of Buck is not the pinch hitting with Navarro. The brilliance of Buck is slipping Pearce the mickey.

Always a step ahead.

Buck, as innovator.

Brady Anderson just talked about Buck Showalter’s intelligence and mastery of strategy. Now, Anderson works with Showalter, so that’s one thing. And for another thing, you don’t want to overstate the brilliance of trying Pearce at a new position. It could’ve been a failure, and maybe this’ll never come up again in the long-term. But this feels like a particularly Orioles kind of move. This feels like working to build an extra layer of protection, where it would’ve been easy to just give second base to one of the guys who’s played second before. Showalter wants his Orioles to be a roster with moving parts, such that flexibility might allow them to negate another team’s potential talent advantage. It’s a small thing, but a seemingly real thing, and Pearce at second is an example of this. It seems bold, until you think about it more and realize it’s actually perfectly sensible.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steve-pearce-is-playing-second-base/

Buck, as innovator.

Brady Anderson

just talked about Buck Showalter’s intelligence and mastery of strategy. Now, Anderson works with Showalter, so that’s one thing. And for another thing, you don’t want to overstate the brilliance of trying Pearce at a new position. It could’ve been a failure, and maybe this’ll never come up again in the long-term. But this feels like a particularly Orioles kind of move. This feels like working to build an extra layer of protection, where it would’ve been easy to just give second base to one of the guys who’s played second before. Showalter wants his Orioles to be a roster with moving parts, such that flexibility might allow them to negate another team’s potential talent advantage. It’s a small thing, but a seemingly real thing, and Pearce at second is an example of this. It seems bold, until you think about it more and realize it’s actually perfectly sensible.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steve-pearce-is-playing-second-base/

Nice write-up and I sure there is some truth to it.

I wonder, if there isn't some concern in Buck about the defense of Paredes or Narravo at 2nd, since neither are plus defenders and maybe not even average defenders.

From what I saw (watched about half the game), Paredes was fine yesterday. Turned a double play, snagged a liner that he had to leap for at full extension, and made a nice play coming in on a slow roller with a fast runner. No errors in the box score. I am curious who will get the start today. RHP might argue for Paredes but it would seem weird to play Pearce there vs Tampa and not go with him against NYM.

From what I saw (watched about half the game), Paredes was fine yesterday. Turned a double play, snagged a liner that he had to leap for at full extension, and made a nice play coming in on a slow roller with a fast runner. No errors in the box score. I am curious who will get the start today. RHP might argue for Paredes but it would seem weird to play Pearce there vs Tampa and not go with him against NYM.

It's Paredes.

o

(MAY 12th)

Pearce is back at 2nd base, following the injury to Ryan Flaherty during last night's game.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, Perace has been at least adequate since taking over the position.

He's taking extra fielding practice today (according to Roch Kubatko.) I like it. Pearce is/was the next man up, and he's doing everything that he possibly can to not be a liability and/or minimize the damage while he's there.

Archived