Orioles on SNL

BMann

It cracks me up how people always say this but yet they are still on tv. I think there are some really funny people on right now actually.

There's always some funny people on the show. It's the writing that's usually lousy. I'm dedicated, so I watch it every week (haven't seen this week's yet) but usually only about 20% of the sketches are even remotely funny. When you have one of the least funny people to ever walk the Earth in Colin Jost, as head write, the sketches are going to suck. And that's coming off Seth Myers as head writer...and I think Seth is fairly funny on his own but it obviously didn't translate to the sketches.

I understand why they do Frank Robinson instead of Gary... but how do they dig up Amber into this? Did they just google search "Orioles sideline reporter" and run with it?

Yeah Amber Theoharis is the polar opposite of topical humor when it comes to poking fun at the Orioles. I mean they could have used Bobby Moynihan as Rick Dempsey or Tom Davis.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Camden Yards sketch was pretty bad, but IMO there's more to it than "SNL used to be funny but isn't any more."

Much of the SNL franchise was built on humor that was aggressively irreverent. Most of the humor was directly or indirectly satirical, poking fun at both easy targets (politicians, TV executors, Hollywood celebrities, TV pitchmen, etc.) and more obscure, sometimes politically incorrect, joke butts like little old ladies who don't hear well, Greek luncheonette proprietors, Eastern European bachelors, nerdy teenagers, and Latin ballplayers who no speak English so good. While I can't bring myself to watch SNL regularly, I do catch it occasionally, and the spirit I've described above lives on in a few sketches.

That style of SNL humor might have used last week's game to lampoon ballplayers. I'm no comedy writer, but maybe you can hear players' dugout conversations about competing mutual funds, or maybe there's a brawl that ends when the players realize there are no fans to watch it, or maybe hitters don't bother to come out to the on-deck circle because there are no skirts to look up, or maybe Adam Jones refuses to bat until the crab race is shown because he owes his bookie $100,000 that he has to recover by winning a bet on the race or throwing the game.

Seeing SNL performers dressed up to look a little like Frobby, Cakes and Amber, hearing a few puns about fires, and imagining absurdities like a vendor with no customers and major leaguers using nerf bats may have been funny to some viewers. It wasn't funny to me. But more to my point it was timid, safe and pointless -- the antithesis of what SNL used to be.

The Camden Yards sketch was pretty bad, but IMO there's more to it than "SNL used to be funny but isn't any more."

Much of the SNL franchise was built on humor that was directors or indirectly satirical, poking fun at both easy targets (politicians, TV executors, Hollywood celebrities, TV pitchmen, etc.) and more obscure, sometimes politically incorrect, joke butts like little old ladies who don't hear well, Greek luncheonette proprietors, Eastern European bachelors, nerdy teenagers and adults, and Latin ballplayers who no speak English so good. While I can't bring myself to watch SNL regularly, I do catch it occasionally, and that spirit I've described above lives on in a few sketches.

That style of SNL humor might have used last week's game to lampoon ballplayers. I'm no comedy writer, but maybe you can hear their dugout conversations about competing mutual funds, or maybe they don't bother to come out to the on-deck circle because there are no skirts to look up, or maybe Adam Jones refuses to play until the crab race is shown. But dressing up a few people to look a little like Frobby, Cakes and Amber, a few puns about fires, and a vendor with no customers

The writers could have used some of the ideas in this thread....and maybe they should start following Adam Eaton on twitter.

The Camden Yards sketch was pretty bad, but IMO there's more to it than "SNL used to be funny but isn't any more."

Much of the SNL franchise was built on humor that was directors or indirectly satirical, poking fun at both easy targets (politicians, TV executors, Hollywood celebrities, TV pitchmen, etc.) and more obscure, sometimes politically incorrect, joke butts like little old ladies who don't hear well, Greek luncheonette proprietors, Eastern European bachelors, nerdy teenagers and adults, and Latin ballplayers who no speak English so good. While I can't bring myself to watch SNL regularly, I do catch it occasionally, and that spirit I've described above lives on in a few sketches.

That style of SNL humor might have used last week's game to lampoon ballplayers. I'm no comedy writer, but maybe you can hear their dugout conversations about competing mutual funds, or maybe they don't bother to come out to the on-deck circle because there are no skirts to look up, or maybe Adam Jones refuses to play until the crab race is shown. But dressing up a few people to look a little like Frobby, Cakes and Amber, a few puns about fires, and a vendor with no customers

Yeah Amber Theoharis is the polar opposite of topical humor when it comes to poking fun at the Orioles. I mean they could have used Bobby Moynihan as Rick Dempsey or Tom Davis.

A portrayal of Davis and Dempsey would have been comedy gold if executed properly. Maybe taking the time to read the Mars circular ;)

I have always watched SNL. I can find ways to appreciate the ebb and flow from the changing writers and casts.

Sketch comedy under their constraints is not easy.

Complaining about SNL is so tiresome. I'd rather here thoughts on the correlation between temperature and humidity since this has been a topic that hasn't been around as long.

One thing that struck me is that Palmer introduces "orioles legend, frank Robinson" makes me wonder if the writers know who Palmer is beyond broadcasting. It may just be a way of introducing the characters to the audience.

Gary would be a great snl skit character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was a shockingly well-researched sketch. They used the name of actual WBAL reporter Donna Hamilton. They used Amber Theoharis. They knew the Orioles were playing better after getting knocked around by the Blue Jays. They knew Manny Machado had knee surgery. They used the right color green for the seats. It's like they spent all their time Googling and didn't have time to actually write something funny.

I have always watched SNL. I can find ways to appreciate the ebb and flow from the changing writers and casts.

Sketch comedy under their constraints is not easy.

Complaining about SNL is so tiresome. I'd rather here thoughts on the correlation between temperature and humidity since this has been a topic that hasn't been around as long.

I'm just going to assume that you didn't watch the skit. ;)

SNL has fallen mightily over the past couple of years.

I think SNL is like baseball, in that people regularly state, straight-faced, as fact that it's totally much worse than it was when they were 21. It's been that way continuously since the early 1980s for SNL, since the 1870s for baseball.

Archived