Orioles on SNL

BMann

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL-hilarious. SNL sucks...not as good..blah blah blah.

It has stood the test of time for a reason. It has had ebbs and flows but at the end of the day, a great show that sometimes you don't realize is that good until many years after.

LOL-hilarious. SNL sucks...not as good..blah blah blah.

It has stood the test of time for a reason. It has had ebbs and flows but at the end of the day, a great show that sometimes you don't realize is that good until many years after.

Pretty long ebb I would say. Lots more competion for writers as compared to "back on the day" I suppose. Maybe I have just gotten old I guess.

I would love to see a comedy skit written by the hangout regulars. It would be so good. So much to work with... Drunk Gary, story telling Palmer, softball question Jim Hunter, hot dog connoisseur Tom Davis, annoying uncle Dempsey. Comedy gold

Since getting satellite TV about 6 years ago (and a DVR), I've had SNL on auto-record for later viewing and one thing that I do is watch the opening, the host's monologue and the first skit. If I like 2 of those 3, I'll watch more. If it starts bombing anytime after, I'll just fast forward till something looks interesting. I'll usually give the musical guest a look for one song (I'm a musician, so I feel more interest in that the remainder of the show). My viewing habits, like so many other folks, have changed drastically in the digital age. I don't think I could sit through 90 minutes every week waiting for a sketch I liked. That said, I have seen whole shows in the last year or two. It has had some good nights in my opinion. I'd give the O's sketch a 6.5 out of 10.

I would have no doubt that saying SNL right now is not as good as it was in 1978 would be an understatement.

I've been watching since '75, and while the highs of the 70s aren't as common today, it still hits it out of the park occasionally. I'd say there has been an episode or two this season that was better than the worst of the '78/'79 season. We're used to seeing the highlights of those first five seasons, but there was a lot of junk, even back then.

IMO, if something exactly like the Chee'burger Chee'burger sketch were to debut today, it would get skewered mercilessly by the "SNL is still on the air?!?" crowd. "How did this make air? How is this remotely funny?" It's funny because of its time, and the cast did a good job selling it. But if you watch it in a vacuum, there's not a lot going on that's inherently funny. Compare that to this bit with Michael Keaton from a few weeks back, which made me laugh more than anything this season, I think:

[video=youtube;KnUEecEs3Xk]

As much as I loved the early years when they were happening, much of it doesn't hold up very well. I'd say the Hartman/Myers/Carvey era was consistently funnier, and much of the humor isn't nearly as dated. The current cast is pretty good, too, but the writing is very hit/miss.

Small sample size

[emoji6]

(Not yet)

Saw it, liked it.

Some times I think people expect to be laughing out loud by sketch comedy shows, when that rarely ever happens unless you are in a room full of people. Think of movie theater mentality: where you really only laugh at something because you hear others laughing, but at home you'd not make a sound (even though it was funny).

I must say, I still really like SNL.

Think Wiig, Fey, Samberg, Hader, Forte, Rudolph, Meyers, etc... These guys and girls are extremely extremely good. The current cast has members who are enjoyable too. Sometimes the hosts stink, but for casual watchers they only tune in for the host and maybe some obscure musical guests.

SNL is still good. It hasn't changed... You have.

I've been watching since '75, and while the highs of the 70s aren't as common today, it still hits it out of the park occasionally. I'd say there has been an episode or two this season that was better than the worst of the '78/'79 season. We're used to seeing the highlights of those first five seasons, but there was a lot of junk, even back then.

IMO, if something exactly like the Chee'burger Chee'burger sketch were to debut today, it would get skewered mercilessly by the "SNL is still on the air?!?" crowd. "How did this make air? How is this remotely funny?" It's funny because of its time, and the cast did a good job selling it. But if you watch it in a vacuum, there's not a lot going on that's inherently funny. Compare that to this bit with Michael Keaton from a few weeks back, which made me laugh more than anything this season, I think:

[video=youtube;KnUEecEs3Xk]

As much as I loved the early years when they were happening, much of it doesn't hold up very well. I'd say the Hartman/Myers/Carvey era was consistently funnier, and much of the humor isn't nearly as dated. The current cast is pretty good, too, but the writing is very hit/miss.

Loved that skit with Keaton. So bizarre, then he goes by his real name... Great stuff. I just loved watching him again. Keaton needs to work more.

While I agree that some of the fashionable "it's not as good as it used to be" bashing is overdone... I do feel that the current Weekend Update duo is by far the weakest ever. And WU has always been one of my favorite parts of the show that I look forward to. Colin Jost especially just leaves me flat. I get no sense of his personality at all, he's just reading the cue cards.

That was a shockingly well-researched sketch. They used the name of actual WBAL reporter Donna Hamilton. They used Amber Theoharis. They knew the Orioles were playing better after getting knocked around by the Blue Jays. They knew Manny Machado had knee surgery. They used the right color green for the seats. It's like they spent all their time Googling and didn't have time to actually write something funny.

That was pretty much my reaction too.

Archived