Rey Navarro doesn't deserve to be sent down

Diehard_O's_Fan

I thought he was solid but I didn't think he did anything exceptionally well. I REALLY want Hardy back ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the whole idea in having Steve Pearce play 2B is because, when Hardy and Flaherty come off the DL, then Pearce could play 2B and Flaherty could play whatever position needs filling as a utility man.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the whole idea in having Steve Pearce play 2B is because, when Hardy and Flaherty come off the DL, then Pearce could play 2B and Flaherty could play whatever position needs filling as a utility man.

It's a thought but I personally would rather just have Flaherty handle all the 2b work while Schoop is out. Much more confident in his D and he has outperformed Pearce with the bat thus far (I know, SSS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if others here are aware of just how bad Cabrera is struggling (I didn't know until I just checked) but he is currently OPSing a robust .481 through 21 games. I would think that has to make him quite vulnerable when Hardy / Flaherty are ready. The question is does his 'veteranosity' trump his poor performance? Unfortunately I think it probably does.

Well if we are ranting...:)

Matt Wieters who? I would rather play Joseph. Good attitude, much cheaper, better defense and doesn't have a money-grubbing agent.

Travis Snider, as I predicted, isn't that good. He is not a replacement for Nick Markakis. I would rather have Alvarez or Remold playing honestly. Parmalee is RAKING but I know his defense is bad as well, too bad.

I love me some Delmon Young, but wow, where has he been this year?

Yes, Snider's 114 wRC+ has been a huge disappointment.

Alvarez has .603 OPS at Norfolk right now. Reimold is at .700 even, and he can't defend. They're clearly immediate upgrades.

Delmon Young has a 98 wRC+ right this moment. Do you know what his career wRC+ is? 98.

Yes, Snider's 114 wRC+ has been a huge disappointment.

Alvarez has .603 OPS at Norfolk right now. Reimold is at .700 even, and he can't defend. They're clearly immediate upgrades.

Delmon Young has a 98 wRC+ right this moment. Do you know what his career wRC+ is? 98.

Snider is far superior to Nick at this point in his career.

Well if we are ranting...:)

Matt Wieters who? I would rather play Joseph. Good attitude, much cheaper, better defense and doesn't have a money-grubbing agent.

Travis Snider, as I predicted, isn't that good. He is not a replacement for Nick Markakis. I would rather have Alvarez or Remold playing honestly. Parmalee is RAKING but I know his defense is bad as well, too bad.

I love me some Delmon Young, but wow, where has he been this year?

I don't know how to take this, are you trying to be funny or serious?

The man has played in 15 of the 23 games, which is a pretty high number of games for a platoon/bench guy.

Reality check time!

Nick Markakis - .292/.394/.326/ .720 so far

Travis Snider - .281/.369/.404/ .773 so far.

There is nothing here that shows Snider is not adequate enough to replace Nick. Even if you include defense Snider is at 0.0 dWAR and Nick is at -0.5.

Did I mention Snider is making like 1/5 of his salary too?

Big win for Duquette so far on this exchange, and I think it'll only get better as the season goes on.

Well I think its inevitable that Navarro will be sent down either today or tomorrow. I thought he played well given that he's technically a rookie. I think he's a fine option as a backup infielder and hope he sticks around for few more years.

Anyways, I was reading some comments from the MASN blog and some stated that Buck had soured on Navarro, and they say it was because of his defense. I never heard or saw anything like that, and it wouldn't make sense to me, since he was used as a late inning defensive replacement if i'm not mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Well I think its inevitable that Navarro will be sent down either today or tomorrow. I thought he played well given that he's technically a rookie. I think he's a fine option as a backup infielder and hope he sticks around for few more years.

Anyways, I was reading some comments from the MASN blog and some stated that Buck had soured on Navarro, and they say it was because of his defense. I never heard or saw anything like that, and it wouldn't make sense to me, since he was used as a late inning defensive replacement if i'm not mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

I think that is speculation only. Because Pearce started at second with no experience there. And Paredes played even though he is poor defensively. I think Navarro is insurance this year. And we used it. The bats are the thing that would propel the others ahead of him. This is no team for rookies to play consistently on. We are Champions.

By The Way. Comment sections of blogs are no place for you to get your news ;)

Roch did post this a few days ago:

Rey Navarro is an upgrade over Paredes in the field, but his failure to make a couple of plays hasn't gone unnoticed.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/05/looking-back-on-last-night-1.html

I'm not totally sure what couple of plays he's referring to. I'm guessing one was in Zach Britton's 9th inning against the Red Sox last week when Navarro fielded a ball up the middle but then flipped it wildly past second base. Other than that, though, I think Navarro has looked pretty good defensively.

Still, I don't think there's any issue sending him down to the minors when Flaherty comes back. Flaherty seems like both an offensive and defensive upgrade over Navarro.

Wouldn't surprise me. He did look shaky out there his first couple games as I recall. I thought it was just the ML jitters. I guess Buck thought more of it.

I guess Buck's initial thinking was if Navarro can't field, he might as well go with a guy that can hit. Not too surprising of a move that he would later come in for Pearce (who went to first for Davis) for an inning.

Archived