Jones at .400

BMann

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was a kid, I used to wonder if the bar was named after the career 714 home run slugger.

I eventually found out that they named it after President Grover Cleveland Alexander's daughter, who died at 12 years-old in 1904.

Or they just didn't want to pay Babe Ruth but they wanted to profit off of his name.

Back to the OP, Adam Jones is hitting as well as he ever has, and from an approach standpoint he looks better than he ever has. He'll still swing at crap, but he's finding ways to hit the crap he swings at and be a little more selective. The fact that he has 5 walks already when he had that many after 54 games last year is astounding in and of itself. He's not going to keep up at this pace in terms of average, but a 2012 type season, I'll gladly settle for that and everything else.

Or they just didn't want to pay Babe Ruth but they wanted to profit off of his name.

That's exactly what they did! I think Grover Cleveland's daughter had died 17 years before the candy bar came out. I didn't know anything about this story until now and enjoyed the wiki read. Amazing that Babe Ruth didn't win a lawsuit against the candy company, although I guess they later signed an endorsement deal with Ruth's family. Anyway, another example of the fine triva, umm I mean American history, that I learn from this site. :)

That's exactly what they did! I think Grover Cleveland's daughter had died 17 years before the candy bar came out. I didn't know anything about this story until now and enjoyed the wiki read. Amazing that Babe Ruth didn't win a lawsuit against the candy company, although I guess they later signed an endorsement deal with Ruth's family. Anyway, another example of the fine triva, umm I mean American history, that I learn from this site. :)

Or it was named after the...

granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Williamson, candy makers who developed the original formula

-Wiki-

Adam Jones is now batting .402, projected to hit 35 HRs with 148 RBI. OK, so he probably won't hit .400 and drive in that many runs, but I was wondering:

When is the last time an Oriole was batting over .400 with 87 or more ABs? It's a small sample size, but it still seems pretty rare.

And what's the latest in a season that a qualifying Oriole held a .400 BA?

I'm trying to figure out how to use Baseball Reference to determine the answers, but I'm betting that someone smarter than me can do it in a few seconds.

Miguel Tejada in 2006 was at .425 after 86 at bats and stayed above .400 until 125 at bats.

So the answers appear to be Miguel Tejada in 2006 and Robbie Alomar in 1996. Thanks for the crack investigatin'! Rep has been spread accordingly. Now we'll see how long Jonesy can hang in there...!

Adam Jones is now batting .402, projected to hit 35 HRs with 148 RBI. OK, so he probably won't hit .400 and drive in that many runs, but I was wondering:

When is the last time an Oriole was batting over .400 with 87 or more ABs? It's a small sample size, but it still seems pretty rare.

And what's the latest in a season that a qualifying Oriole held a .400 BA?

I'm trying to figure out how to use Baseball Reference to determine the answers, but I'm betting that someone smarter than me can do it in a few seconds.

Archived