The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might be losing a lot of players next year, but it also frees up a ton of money that lets us become more flexible with signing guys and giving extensions to the core players we have remaining like Machado and Tillman. Its not the end of the world.

I don't see next year have that much of a dropoff.

Tillman, Ubaldo, Gonzalez and Gausman are all back.

Bundy, Mike Wright, Wilson, McFarland and Davies all battling for the 5th spot. The loser of that competition are available for the pen.

Britton and Brach will be at the back end of the pen. DD probably adds at least two experience relievers. Add Givens and Steve Johnson to the names above that will be competing for bullpen spots. I don't know about Drake. His numbers look good but he had a problem with holding runners. I don't know if he has fixed that.

Jones CF

Manny 3B

Schoop 2B

Paredes DH

Hardy SS

Joesph C

Flaherty UIF

All return plus Snider, Cabrera, Lough as part time players.

Clevenger, O'Brien and Perez as backup catchers.

Delmon and Pearce can probably be re-signed if the O's want them.

Parmelee looks interesting as a backup 1B/DH/ emergency COF.

There is some time to see if Alvarez or Urrutia develop this summer but both have options and can run the shuttle.

Davis' offense is probably the hardest to replace but if Manny and Schoop improve and Joseph is actually a hitter the O's may be able to cover the offense.

I say we don't just give up, I say give fair offers to those who we want to keep. If fair offers are rejected, so be it. Offering costs us nothing and may even be beneficial for the performance this year or give us a chance in the offseason.

The problem is how do you judge what is fair. Both Davis and Wieters were more or less ineffective in their second to last year before free agency

Wieters and Davis are long gone. Their extensions would have been signed by now.

I'm not surprised by Wieters leaving, he's overpaid and I see Joseph as better. Davis though, I would have thought would put the team and the city above going to a strange place and making a few million more. But a lot of young guys shut off their brains and their agents make all the life decisions for them.

I thought Davis was smarter than that. Guess I was wrong.

Is this post from the future? You're lambasting Davis for leaving the Orioles when he hasn't actually, you know, left the Orioles?

How about we save the criticism for if and when something actually happens, rather than prematurely ripping a guy for something that he might not actually do.

That'd be like saying, "I can't believe Chris Davis is going to punt a kitten in six months. What a jerk."

Is this post from the future? You're lambasting Davis for leaving the Orioles when he hasn't actually, you know, left the Orioles?

How about we save the criticism for if and when something actually happens, rather than prematurely ripping a guy for something that he might not actually do.

That'd be like saying, "I can't believe Chris Davis is going to punt a kitten in six months. What a jerk."

Six months from now the World Series will be concluding, so it could be a celebratory kitten punt.....so you're right, we shouldn't assume these things are going to go poorly (unless you're the kitten).

Okay. I cheer for the team. Not individual players.

YEP I LONG AGO gave up getting attached to players like I did as a kid in the 60's & 70's. It's the ONLY way to keep your sanity rooting for ANY professional sports team. If they stay fine, if not NEXT MAN UP.

Wieters and Davis are long gone. Their extensions would have been signed by now.

I'm not surprised by Wieters leaving, he's overpaid and I see Joseph as better. Davis though, I would have thought would put the team and the city above going to a strange place and making a few million more. But a lot of young guys shut off their brains and their agents make all the life decisions for them.

I thought Davis was smarter than that. Guess I was wrong.

Personally, I think it would be unwise for Davis to put staying with the Orioles above going to a strange place and getting paid "a few Million" more.

He's 29, has power which is in high demand, and is finally a free agent.

IMO he's using his brains by hiring an agent to put together the deal that will set him and his grandchildren up for the rest of their lives.

I don't see next year have that much of a dropoff.

Tillman, Ubaldo, Gonzalez and Gausman are all back.

Bundy, Mike Wright, Wilson, McFarland and Davies all battling for the 5th spot. The loser of that competition are available for the pen.

Britton and Brach will be at the back end of the pen. DD probably adds at least two experience relievers. Add Givens and Steve Johnson to the names above that will be competing for bullpen spots. I don't know about Drake. His numbers look good but he had a problem with holding runners. I don't know if he has fixed that.

Jones CF

Manny 3B

Schoop 2B

Paredes DH

Hardy SS

Joesph C

Flaherty UIF

All return plus Snider, Cabrera, Lough as part time players.

Clevenger, O'Brien and Perez as backup catchers.

Delmon and Pearce can probably be re-signed if the O's want them.

Parmelee looks interesting as a backup 1B/DH/ emergency COF.

There is some time to see if Alvarez or Urrutia develop this summer but both have options and can run the shuttle.

Davis' offense is probably the hardest to replace but if Manny and Schoop improve and Joseph is actually a hitter the O's may be able to cover the offense.

This is where I basically stand.

Our SP shouldn't drop off much.

Our RP will need a little bit

C, 2B, SS, 3B, CF and DH should be about the same

Biggest holes are in 1B and the OF.

Anyone know if there has been any talk of Paredes trying 1B? It would be nice to see if there is anything there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wieters does not sign a long term deal this coming season with anyone. Britt implies he won't be back in the majors before June. Even then it wouldn't be surprising if he underperforms. I could see him back with the O's for one more year trying to regain his value.

It is reassuring to know that DD and Buck have probably noticed that some of their players likely won't be returning next year and I will wager have likely even thought about some sort of strategy to keep things going in the right direction.

Personally, I think it would be unwise for Davis to put staying with the Orioles above going to a strange place and getting paid "a few Million" more.

He's 29, has power which is in high demand, and is finally a free agent.

IMO he's using his brains by hiring an agent to put together the deal that will set him and his grandchildren up for the rest of their lives.

I doubt another team pays Davis that much more than what the O's would be willing to pay to keep him. GMs don't see Chris Davis in the same league as Adrian Gonzalez or even Prince Fielder. This is a guy that slumped badly last year and then was banned 50 games. If the Red Sox or Giants want to significantly overpay Davis then let them.

Anyone know if there has been any talk of Paredes trying 1B? It would be nice to see if there is anything there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wieters does not sign a long term deal this coming season with anyone. Britt implies he won't be back in the majors before June. Even then it wouldn't be surprising if he underperforms. I could see him back with the O's for one more year trying to regain his value.

Good post. Wieters is in a less than ideal position. He turns 29 this month, which isn't a big deal except for the position he plays. There's a reason Boras wanted him to get playing time as a DH until he was ready to catch. His next multiyear contract will probably be with a team that plans to use him at 1B/DH for some portion of that contract. With Davis likely gone after this season, the O's may be a good option for Wieters on a one year deal, playing at C/1B (sharing those positions with CJ and SP….assuming SP re-signs). Gives MW a better shot at a big contract and the O's a shot at being able to offer a QO and get something for his departure. A number of teams could offer that, but Baltimore offers a pitching staff he already knows and a manager he has a great relationship with. Anyhow….I think MW may have the best chance of the three to return.

I find it very unlikely that a Boras client will sign an extension this close to free agency.

I am not one of those that thinks Boras controls the players that sign with him but the truth of the matter is guys don't sign with Boras so they can re-up when they hit free agency.

Boros works for Davis. Not the other way around.

Archived