Utley given a mental break

Redskins Rick

Also Howard still has the 2nd highest OPS on the team.

Howard is now sitting on a .218/.265/.435 line, good for -0.4 fWAR. If he finishes there that would mark the third time in four years since his 5/$138M extension kicked in that he's been below-replacement. Even against righties he has a sub-.300 OBP, so he's of limited use as a platoon DH. His contract continues to make its case for worst signing of all time. Since the start of 2010 he's gotten 2828 PAs and is 1.4 wins over replacement.

• 1 month later...

Congrats to the Phillies for getting to offload another one of their overpriced veterans. They even got two warm bodies back! Utley is off to the Dodgers where it's not entirely certain how much playing time he'll get, but at least he's in a pennant chase. Phillies get back Darnell Sweeney and John Richy.....looks like Sweeney may actually be able to hit a little bit but who knows.

See above. Sweeney is at least not terrible. Definitely better than 'cash considerations' I guess.

I read that one of the reasons they traded Sweeney was they figured they would lose him in the Rule 5 draft this winter. That is how Philadelphia was able to get such a decent piece.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived