TT: Abbreviated Bundy report and other Bowie observations

Tony-OH

Just to be clear, I don't think Borbon is BETTER than Lough. I just said in an emergency he can backup Jones-very short term. That was my only point though. Lough I think is better than Borbon.

AJ can't steal, who cares. He is one of the best players in baseball. Lough is a fringe player at best.

I wasn't trying to knock AJ, I love the guy,and he is one of the elite players in baseball, just trying to make a comment about SB and speed.

You confuse the heck of e, if you dont want Lough on the roster and thought you wanted Borbon on the roster.

So what would you do for a backup OF on this roster and please dont say Reimold?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't trying to knock AJ, I love the guy,and he is one of the elite players in baseball, just trying to make a comment about SB and speed.

You confuse the heck of e, if you dont want Lough on the roster and thought you wanted Borbon on the roster.

So what would you do for a backup OF on this roster and please dont say Reimold?

We wouldn't have a backup CFer on the roster unless there was an injury to Jones. In an emergency, put DeAza there. Then recall Borbon.

Their BA/OBP are almost identical in their minor league careers, but Yaz has shown more pop. Is there that big of a gap in their skill sets that makes Yaz a likely 4th OF and solid ML contributor and Davis organizational filler?

That's a great question because when you look at them statistically the last few years they don't seem very far apart. For me, there's a few things that make Yaz stand out over Davis. Let's start out with the pop. Yaz has a career .458 SLG though that has fallen off to .397 at Bowie. Davis has a career .344 SLG (.350 at AA). Yaz makes more consistent hard contact than Davis. I've had more than one scout tell me that Davis gets a lot of bloops, infield hits and seeing eye singles over the years. Although Davis is faster when you time him down to first base, Yaz is a better base runner overall and has better overall baseball instincts. Defensively, Davis covers good ground in CF, but most scouts will tell you Yaz gets better jumps and takes better routes. Neither have more than an average LF arm.

Now add in the fact that Yaz bats left-handed to Davis' right-had bat, and you have guy that the vast majority of scouts like better. Like I said before, I want to like Davis, but he nevers plays well for me when I see him. I just don't see a guy who is going to be more than an up down AAAA guy.

Yaz is probably a pretty safe bet as a 4th outfielder type because of his sound fundamentals as a ball player, his ability to defend all three outfield positions, bat left-handed, and hit for average.

If so, Lough would have a job somewhere, wouldn't he? Having said that I think Yaz is world's ahead potential-wise than Lough at the plate. So, quite possibly.

Lough at 22 years old in Low-A (.268/.329/.455/.784)

Yaz at 22 in Short Season -A (273/.362/.420/.781)

Lough at 23 years old in AA (.331/.371/.517/.887)

Yaz at 23 in AA (.250/.310/.413/.723)

Lough at 24 in AAA (.280/.346/.437.783)

Yaz at 24 in AA (.287/.330/.370/.701)

So besides the fact that Yaz is an Orioles prospect and Lough has turned into the 4th outfielder he was supposed to be, what makes you think Yaz is "world's ahead potential wise than Lough at the plate."

Lough at 22 years old in Low-A (.268/.329/.455/.784)

Yaz at 22 in Short Season -A (273/.362/.420/.781)

Lough at 23 years old in AA (.331/.371/.517/.887)

Yaz at 23 in AA (.250/.310/.413/.723)

Lough at 24 in AAA (.280/.346/.437.783)

Yaz at 24 in AA (.287/.330/.370/.701)

So besides the fact that Yaz is an Orioles prospect and Lough has turned into the 4th outfielder he was supposed to be, what makes you think Yaz is "world's ahead potential wise than Lough at the plate."

Hard to argue with that. I based on my own eyes and the numerous failed attempts that Lough has had at the major league level. We will see who has a better career. I will take Yaz any day of the week over Lough, not even close.

What is your take on Yaz's defense? Can he stick at CF? (Corn and I were discussing this).

Hard to argue with that. I based on my own eyes and the numerous failed attempts that Lough has had at the major league level. We will see who has a better career. I will take Yaz any day of the week over Lough, not even close.

What is your take on Yaz's defense? Can he stick at CF? (Corn and I were discussing this).

Fair enough. I think Yaz can fill in there, but he doesn't have the foot speed to play there on a consistent basis at the major league level.

Yaz started off slow, but has come around and been on a tear.

Melewski has this stat:

Maybe you missed my post earlier in the thread:

Little Yaz got off to a very slow start this year, but has been coming on like a house on fire recently -- .413 BA over his last ten games. For now I'm perfectly happy keeping him at Bowie.

I hope Yaz will stay on a tear and end up with much better than a .701 OPS while he's at Bowie. But I remember pretty distinctly that last year, he was hot when he first got to Bowie, then cooled off. So, I don't necessarily take the recent hot streak as some sign that Yaz had suddenly figured out AA. It's all part of the ups and downs of a long season. To me, he certainly has not earned a promotion to AAA at this point, contrary to those posters who said he is only in AA because AAA is so crowded. Let me know how he's hitting at the AA all-star break and we can talk about it then.

To put things in perspective a little, Lough was drafted in the 11th round in 2007, and has been worth 4.5 rWAR to this point in his career. Only 12 of the 64 1st round picks from 2007 (including the 1st round supplemental) have done better than that. Of the players drafted in the 11th round and signed that year, only 7 have reached the majors, and the second highest rWAR total from that group is 1.5. His career already has been a huge success. That's why I said Yaz (a 14th round pick) would be fortunate to do as well as Lough.

His career already has been a huge success. That's why I said Yaz (a 14th round pick) would be fortunate to do as well as Lough.

I'ts kinda like when folks want to release Brian Matusz. He has been paid $9,850,000 (including this year) and has been worth about 13 Million. David Lough has achieved everything that Mike Yastrzemski could ever dream of.

I'ts kinda like when folks want to release Brian Matusz. He has been paid $9,850,000(including this year) and has been work about 13 Million. David Lough has achieved everything that Mike Yastrzemski could ever dream of.

BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.286 .333 .500 .833 129

This year.

MMMMM, Markakis has neither. LOL

Sorry, I love Nick, just cant help the snark somethings.

Seriously, I like what I see from the guy, he seams major leaguer at me, but I am not a professional scout.

Haven't been too impressed with Glynn Davis, but, my buddy has seen more games than I have and loves the guy, so who knows.

Not sure why DD brought Snyder back, I thought his days was long over with the club.

I mean... Markakis looked like he was going to be a perrenial 20-30 HR, .350+ OBP, 10 SB guy with good defense. Just look at his 2008 season again. He definitely had the tools that you look for coming up through the minors as a long-term potential all-star. He's in his 10th season in the majors, starting every day, so he definitely had what it took to make it tools-wise.

BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.286 .333 .500 .833 129

This year.

In 15 plate appearances. If Buck thought Lough could do that consistently, he'd be playing every day. Instead, he's started 3 games out of the 17 games played since returning from the DL. I consider those stats essentially meaningless. However, I consider his game winning homer against Boston extremely meaningful.

Archived