Did Snider kick Buck's dog?

eddie83

I was going to start this thread, but even before the Lavarnway pinch hit. Snider just doesn't play that often, despite pretty good numbers and having some of the better ABs on the squad. He didn't play a lot in ST either. I don't really understand the thinking. Just play the guy in LF and be done with it.

he has played in 21 games and 66 at bats, this season. They have only played 26 games.

he played 19 games and 51 at bats in ST.

So what are you talking about?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, it's a valid question. Lol. He feels like the lost guy on the team to me, for some reason. I guess I'm not sure why Delmon Young is getting starts over him in the outfield against righties.

Okay, maybe valid, but you said, Snider didn't play in ST, and he lead the team in PAs, at least he was, when another poster was complaining about his not playing.

Delmon is batting .322.

Miller is great against everyone but he's LETHAL vs LHB. Lavarnway was the only RHB on the bench tonight unless you count the rookie Navarro. Buck went with the veteran RHB who actually caught Miller in BOS and is familiar with his arsenal.

I have no issues with the move.

That is my thought also, but I'm reminded of a Jim Palmer quote, "The only thing Earl (Weaver) knows about big-league pitching is that he couldn't hit it."

Knowing his arsenal and being able to hit it are two different things.

That is my thought also, but I'm reminded of a Jim Palmer quote, "The only thing Earl (Weaver) knows about big-league pitching is that he couldn't hit it."

Knowing his arsenal and being able to hit it are two different things.

That's not a Jim Palmer quote, that's Jim Palmer quoting Bob Gibson, but what does it have to do with Buck batting a RH v a LHP?

Did you ignore the post that we being quoted. Lavarnway caught Miller in Boston. That was the point.

Lavarnway has one PA v Miller Snider has none, Snider has a ,716 OPS v LHP Lavarnway .621. Does the difference in OPS trump the familiarity of Lavarnway having seen Miller and caught him? To me it's a toss up, and has nothing to do with Bob Gibson telling Tim McCarver to go away because he the only thing he knows about pitching is he can't hit it.

"Gibson was mean and tough on the mound. And not just to the opposition. Once, when catcher Tim McCarver walked out to settle down Gibson, the pitcher told him to get back behind the plate. "The only thing you know about pitching," Gibson told him, "is how hard it is to hit."https://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014115.html

http://mopupduty.com/bob-gibson-stories-and-anecdotes-040714/

Doesn't Buck manage the traditional "Play for the tie only when you're the home team"?

I think he does that, at least sometimes. And I think it's a part of the managing "book" that needs to be edited in light of the changes in late-inning relief pitching. Against most teams, it's pretty hard to score runs in the 9th inning of a close games, let alone score multiple runs. And most teams, if they do tie a game in the top of the 9th, can bring in an effective reliever to preserve the tie in the bottom of the 9th. When you're a run or two behind in the top of the 9th, you may be better off playing for the tie and hoping to get to extra innings, even though the home team will have an extra at bat.

Last night is a case in point. To me, it made no sense to play for the win (that is, to score two 2 or more runs) against Betances and Miller. I believe the Orioles' chances of playing for and scoring 1 run, holding the Yankees scoreless, and trying to win the game after Miller departed were much better than their chances of playing for and scoring 2 or more runs.

Lavarnway has one PA v Miller Snider has none, Snider has a ,716 OPS v LHP Lavarnway .621. Does the difference in OPS trump the familiarity of Lavarnway having seen Miller and caught him? To me it's a toss up, and has nothing to do with Bob Gibson telling Tim McCarver to go away because he the only thing he knows about pitching is he can't hit it.

"Gibson was mean and tough on the mound. And not just to the opposition. Once, when catcher Tim McCarver walked out to settle down Gibson, the pitcher told him to get back behind the plate. "The only thing you know about pitching," Gibson told him, "is how hard it is to hit."https://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014115.html

The only thing Lavarnway really knew about Miller's pitching was he couldn't hit it. If you want to keep being pedantic about this and who said it first by all means. It would be true to form.

The only thing Lavarnway really knew about Miller's pitching was he couldn't hit it. If you want to keep being pedantic about this and who said it first by all means. It would be true to form.

So how do we fix the backup catcher issue?

I know Buck wants defense, but he needs a backup catcher that can also pinch hit, too.

So how do we fix the backup catcher issue?

I know Buck wants defense, but he needs a backup catcher that can also pinch hit, too.

It should be a short-term problem that goes away when Wieters comes off the DL hitting like he did last spring..

Why does he need a catcher that can PH?

It doesn't matter. Wieters will be back in 2-3 weeks. He caught 7 innings yesterday and he's been throwing people out. Even hit a home run last week. He just needs to be able to play 9 innings two days in a row, which should happen next week. Then, a 1-2 week rehab stint and back by late May/early June. Can't be soon enough.

Lavarnway has 18 at bats in 25 games. This isn't Pearce or Young pinch hitting. Snider career numbers vs lefties aren't terrible. Miller allowed 3 homers last year and two were to lefties. I understand why Buck did it but at some point he needs to let Snider play.

Snider is on pace to play in 131 games and have 461 plate appearances. What do you want, exactly? He's never had more than 359 PA in a season, so Buck is playing him more than anyone ever has.

Archived